Is the Space Brace worth the $$?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/9/2018 11:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/9/2018 11:03 AM

I keep hearing good things, and I have one metal ankle with all kinds of screws, plates, etc in it, and my other ankle is suffering from some type of itis.

I have the colony ultra ankle guards but its like trying to fit two ham hocks into a fuckin garden hose. I have a size 13 shoe so...is it worth $75 for these things? Do they really offer that much protection and support?

Why I ask:

This happened in 2011, but obviously, I still feel it every day. Looking for some ankular support.

Thoughts? Experiences?

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/9/2018 11:07 AM

Hmm 75 seems like a lot maybe loon into a tsg one or something.
I keep telling myself to get pads when I crash and then not getting them just because I feel like I wouldn't bother to put them on.

|

Hmmm

1/9/2018 11:09 AM

only way to find out to to try them.

|

fack off

1/9/2018 11:39 AM

I've been told it's the only ankle brace worth money as far as riding/skating goes. My ankles are surprisingly okay so I don't have any first hand experience with it.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/9/2018 12:15 PM

I know how you feel. That's what my arm looks like. At least I can predict the weather now....

|

1/9/2018 4:21 PM

Best product I've ridden with, takes a few days for you to break it in comfortably. But afterwards it works amazing. It helps a lot with impact, i used to feel so much pain landing on my feet really hard, but the space brace adds so much support and barely makes impacts noticeable. I sprained my ankle and smacked down on my foot really hard, which made me look into getting an ankle brace. Since I've started riding space braces its really paid off, falling or accidentally taking a foot off and landing on it is way less painful. And huge drops or hard landings feel a lot better. I would really recommend.

|

1/9/2018 4:31 PM

I would like to pick some up, I don't have ankle problems, but I'd sure like to prevent them... but for me I will spend money on pads and stuff like this that works to help becasue it's actually worth it, becasue you don't spend the $75 on an ankle brace, you break you ankle, have to pay for medical treatment and will most likely have ankle problems for a long time... thats the way I look at it... so to me it's worth it...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/9/2018 4:44 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I keep hearing good things, and I have one metal ankle with all kinds of screws, plates, etc in it, and my other ankle is suffering from some type of itis.

I have the colony ultra ankle guards but its like trying to fit two ham hocks into a fuckin garden hose. I have a size 13 shoe so...is it worth $75 for these things? Do they really offer that much protection and support?

Why I ask:

This happened in 2011, but obviously, I still feel it every day. Looking for some ankular support.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I love mine. Got a pair.

Havent rolled my ankle in them yet. Seem to do a good job of adding extra support.

|

1/9/2018 4:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/9/2018 4:48 PM

Its a good brace best design but it is not worth the money especially since you can get the exact same same thing much cheaper which has been around way before their "Space Brace". Just did a quick search and thought you might like to take a look at this https://www.dme-direct.com/ovation-medical-lace-up-ankle-brace

I'm certain it's a USA site so you should be good to go.

I've have a similar brace same design different name a buddy of mine in the Army got me a pair about 8 years back as I use ankle braces for extra support best I've ever used, you can't go wrong.

Good luck.

|

1/9/2018 9:18 PM

I’ve heard nothing but good things . And a bunch of people at 3ride say it’s great , and that’s coming from dudes who ride with heavy squads . I think it’s sick that Mike Gray put a ton of research and development into it , it’s a small market but he backs his product up , he made a company so that must say a lot . Rider owned , and Dennis and Ryan swear by them , what else do you need ?

No point wasting money on a cheaper pair trying to save money , just to have it be shit and potentially fucking your ankle more . Just shell out the cash .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/10/2018 12:23 AM

I've just recieved mine but can't say much about it as weather currently sucks in the UK. It's cold, raining and sometimes snowing ffs lol. I did try them on and walked around and there's so much support its crazy. It feels like you can't move your foot haha but maybe I did it too tight or you just have to wear in first.

I do feel like they are worth the money but it's best waiting for a discount as they are usually doing alot lately or message them to ask when the next discount will be.

I will be getting some knee/shin pads in a few months but still unsure on what ones to choose but it's either Gform, Fuse or Shadow when I end up buying some.

|

1/10/2018 8:36 AM

Cellmember wrote:

Its a good brace best design but it is not worth the money especially since you can get the exact same same thing much cheaper which has been around way before their "Space Brace". Just did a quick search and thought you might like to take a look at this https://www.dme-direct.com/ovation-medical-lace-up-ankle-brace

I've have a similar brace same design different name a buddy of mine in the Army got me a pair about 8 years back as I use ankle braces for extra support best I've ever used, you can't go wrong.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice guys.

This brace actually looks great, but at $26.99 for one, a pair will bring me up to $60ish, plus tax and shipping, I might land just about where a Space Brace would cost me. Having said that, I'd actually rather give my money to fellow riders than a Medical/Pharmaceutical company. I'm sure that sounds lame, but whatever.

I saw them on their site for $75, and Albe's has them for $90(which makes me go WTF?!).

I think I'm gonna spring for them. The Colony guards are good, but they don't fit. There's a velcro strap that goes underneath the foot that doesn't close all the way so technically, they're not going to provide the proper amount of support/protection.

|

1/10/2018 2:30 PM

Update: Found a discount code for 20% off which turned out to be exactly how much shipping was. So...$75 even for a pair. AND they already shipped.

|

1/11/2018 7:32 AM

nice

|

Hmmm

4/23/2018 7:50 PM

Mueller "the one" brace is made almost identical to the space brace and is half the cost. I got 2 of them for $40 off of jet.com but I dont see them on the website anymore.you can find them around online. But they fit great and have the same design as the space brace. I may still order a pair to do a full on comparison but so far I'm satisfied.https://www.muellersportsmed.com/the-one-ankle-brace.html

|

3/1/2019 8:14 AM

Sorry to kick up an old thread

I have been out for 8 weeks after breaking my Ankle/fibula at my local park. First ride of the year! FML

So I’ve been looking into these...any updates opinions or suggestions. I was just going to get a single not the pair.

I think I’ll be off for a few more weeks at least

|

If you build it, they will come

3/1/2019 8:20 AM

LS1982 wrote:

I have been out for 8 weeks after breaking my Ankle/fibula at my local park. First ride of the year! FML

So I’ve been looking into these...any updates opinions or suggestions. I was just going to get a single not the pair.

I put them on before every ride, and love them. I like that they have 3 ways to adjust, the 2 side straps, the laces, and the wrap around velcro strap too.

They add a lot of stability in the ankle, IMO.

The *ONLY* complaint I have is that one of them is fraying pretty bad and will need to be replaced soon. Probably because I'm wearing/washing them pretty frequently. Other than that? No complaints at all.

But yeah, I recommend them for sure. Mike Gray is the man and does most of the shipping/design/etc himself, so you're keeping money in BMX.

|

3/1/2019 8:35 AM

LS1982 wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I put them on before every ride, and love them. I like that they have 3 ways to adjust, the 2 side straps, the laces, and the wrap around velcro strap too.

They add a lot of stability in the ankle, IMO.

The *ONLY* complaint I have is that one of them is fraying pretty bad and will need to be replaced soon. Probably because I'm wearing/washing them pretty frequently. Other than that? No complaints at all.

But yeah, I recommend them for sure. Mike Gray is the man and does most of the shipping/design/etc himself, so you're keeping money in BMX.

Thanks man! Similar message to what I’ve read online. I’ll get one on order, ready for me to get back on the steed

|

3/1/2019 8:39 AM

LS1982 wrote:

I recently got a pair after a bad ankle sprain.

They offer an incredible amount of support- definitely makes a noticeable difference when absorbing impacts and whatnot. Even just running down a flight of steps with them on, I can feel how little of the impact is making it to my ankles.
HOWEVER, I'm beginning to understand why people claim that they "weaken" your ankles if worn all the time.

I resprained my ankle on this footplant while wearing the braces.
I guess my ankle could have still been weak from being previously sprained, but it really stood out to me that it happened on a 3.5ft footplant, when I'm used to do larger footplants (largest being 6ft+) on a regular basis & have NEVER sprained my ankle doing them.

This exact same thing happened to me once again about a month ago. 3.5ft footplant to ankle sprainer.
The only thing that makes sense to me is that my ankle has become dependent on the brace & can't hold up against high-impact tricks.

TLDR;
They are great for rehabbing an injury, and it would be a wise choice to throw them on before sending something crazy, HOWEVER I would not ride with them any more than 50% of the time, if that.
It is important to ride without them so that your ankle(s) don't become dependent & weak.

Maybe (after your ankle is healed & rehabilitated) try not wearing them while you warm up or when you go for cruises. Find a good balance between wearing them for support & not wearing them to build muscles.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/1/2019 8:50 AM

Yeah Tim brings up a good point, I should mention I walk A LOT more than your average person, and I walk a lot more often than I ride.

So...I spend way more time on my feet without the brace than with it on. I live on the 5th floor of walk-up building, walk about 2 miles to and from work, and walk my dog for about an hour each night. On average (and days when the weather holds up) Im walking easily 5 miles a day.

So yes for riding, but definitely don't rely on it. This is also partially why I like the multiple points of adjustment. They can be anywhere from super tight and movement restrictive, to just another sock.

|

3/1/2019 12:03 PM

Cellmember wrote:

Good luck.

So you are saying everything made in the USA is better than the rest of the world? Right you are, my aussie friend.

|

3/1/2019 12:19 PM

you can often stop fraying by using glue. Shoe goo works great for this.

also, don't be afraid to pick up a needle and thread once in a while....

|

3/1/2019 12:26 PM

pnj wrote:

you can often stop fraying by using glue. Shoe goo works great for this.

also, don't be afraid to pick up a needle and thread once in a while....

Oh for sure if it gets to the point of affecting functionality I'll pick up some needle and thread and head it off.

|

3/1/2019 2:44 PM

Thanks for the information. I know a bit about the risks of becoming over reliant on supports and strappings and I only plan on using it whilst riding for a short time during my rehab/recovery.

I’m sure there are other options available here in the UK but I would prefer something tried and tested specifically for riding.

I have a lot of muscle wastage, my calf looks like it belongs to a 7 yr old girl. Don’t want to rush anything but the sooner I get nearer to 100% the better. I just need a good support till I get there.

Truth is, I’m nervous as hell. I’m still early on after only coming out of a boot last week. Walking feels uncomfortable and the idea of getting back on a bike seems miles away. I know I’ve gotta do it. Plenty have done the same or far worse and come back to shred

DarkEnergist - wish I had taken a pic of my X-ray. Very similar break position but yours was defo worse than mine.

|

3/1/2019 2:48 PM

LS1982 wrote:

Thanks for the information. I know a bit about the risks of becoming over reliant on supports and strappings and I only plan on using it whilst riding for a short time during my rehab/recovery.

I’m sure there are other options available here in the UK but I would prefer something tried and tested specifically for riding.

I have a lot of muscle wastage, my calf looks like it belongs to a 7 yr old girl. Don’t want to rush anything but the sooner I get nearer to 100% the better. I just need a good support till I get there.

Truth is, I’m nervous as hell. I’m still early on after only coming out of a boot last week. Walking feels uncomfortable and the idea of getting back on a bike seems miles away. I know I’ve gotta do it. Plenty have done the same or far worse and come back to shred

DarkEnergist - wish I had taken a pic of my X-ray. Very similar break position but yours was defo worse than mine.

My best advice 7 years out from that injury? Don't be nervous.

Your body is an insanely amazing machine. Don't skimp out on physical therapy, do all your exercises for strengthening, and one thing I cannot stress enough is to focus on balance.

Take it easy, but also don't be afraid to push it a bit. I was really really nervous during my recovery and unfortunately I wasn't given any physical therapy or rehab, so I did it all on my own.

If I could do it again, I'd be a bit more focused on the rehab and just getting strength and stabilizer muscles back to working. Good luck!

|

3/1/2019 3:02 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

My best advice 7 years out from that injury? Don't be nervous.

Your body is an insanely amazing machine. Don't skimp out on physical therapy, do all your exercises for strengthening, and one thing I cannot stress enough is to focus on balance.

Take it easy, but also don't be afraid to push it a bit. I was really really nervous during my recovery and unfortunately I wasn't given any physical therapy or rehab, so I did it all on my own.

If I could do it again, I'd be a bit more focused on the rehab and just getting strength and stabilizer muscles back to working. Good luck!

Also, rest as much as you exercise. Over-doing the physio can be just as bad as not doing it at all. Swimming will really help with the motion and strength, if that's an option for you.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/2/2019 11:01 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Why I ask:

Thoughts? Experiences?

We have the same ankle injury but mine is on the left and the right is "chronically swollen" and hurts all the time. I'm wondering if these are worth it too and also how much they restrict range of motion because that's why I don't wear my lace up brace.

|

3/2/2019 11:54 AM

Look at everything out there. There's a chance that some of the other ankle braces on the market are coming out of the same factory / might even be the exact same thing without the logo (and, thus, with a smaller price tag).

|

3/2/2019 7:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/2/2019 7:11 PM

LS1982 wrote:

You broke your ankle riding but you aren't going to protect your good ankle after seeing what happens without ankle support? I only ask you this so you consider proactively protecting yourself.

Get a pair. I wear them everytime I ride and they help prolong my sessions. I sometimes wear them at work too since I walk over 10 miles every day.

When I bought my pair, I emailed them first and asked if there was anything they could do about the price since I was buying two. They worked with me.

|

3/2/2019 7:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/2/2019 7:15 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I recently got a pair after a bad ankle sprain.

They offer an incredible amount of support- definitely makes a noticeable difference when absorbing impacts and whatnot. Even just running down a flight of steps with them on, I can feel how little of the impact is making it to my ankles.
HOWEVER, I'm beginning to understand why people claim that they "weaken" your ankles if worn all the time.

I resprained my ankle on this footplant while wearing the braces.
I guess my ankle could have still been weak from being previously sprained, but it really stood out to me that it happened on a 3.5ft footplant, when I'm used to do larger footplants (largest being 6ft+) on a regular basis & have NEVER sprained my ankle doing them.

This exact same thing happened to me once again about a month ago. 3.5ft footplant to ankle sprainer.
The only thing that makes sense to me is that my ankle has become dependent on the brace & can't hold up against high-impact tricks.

TLDR;
They are great for rehabbing an injury, and it would be a wise choice to throw them on before sending something crazy, HOWEVER I would not ride with them any more than 50% of the time, if that.
It is important to ride without them so that your ankle(s) don't become dependent & weak.

Maybe (after your ankle is healed & rehabilitated) try not wearing them while you warm up or when you go for cruises. Find a good balance between wearing them for support & not wearing them to build muscles.

Great point, the other thing I'd mention is that by stiffening up the ankle, the shock is going to be transferred to your knees. Ordinarily, an impact is going to be absorbed by the bones in your foot moving, your ankle moving, your knee moving, etc., all the way up until the shock is dissipated. If your ankle is immobilized, your knee is going to experience much more force than it normally would and you may suffer a knee injury from an impact that would otherwise be non-injurious. Our bodies are well-designed, tampering with the function of our musculoskeletal system may lead to undesirable outcomes.

For an injured ankle or if you're dealing with a previous injury, these types of braces might be worth a look. But I would caution against using a brace to prevent ankle injuries. If you want to prevent injuries, stretch/foam roll, do some strength training, cross-train (ie: stay active in another sport besides bike riding), and give your body a chance to heal if injured.

|