Is this a crack on my new bike?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/6/2017 9:15 AM

Hello I just bought a brand new 2017 wtp crysis from a local shop "Berkshire outfitters" on 4-26-17 and I now noticed what looks like cracks forming near a weld... I dont think these are "scratches" as i cant find any scratches that appear this way , what is the verdict and what should I do?
I will use wtp warranty if so.

Photo

Photo

|

5/6/2017 9:33 AM

I can't tell from here but it looks like that weld either wasn't continued to be purged properly(tig torch taken away too quickly) while cooling down hence the oxidization, or the machine downslope wasn't set right, but you usually have pinholing with that.

|

5/6/2017 10:15 AM

That's 100% normal on any trans, or raw part.

Here's some disclaimers you usually see for trans and raw S&M and Fit parts:

"Translucent colors may show small veins of surface rust under the finish. This is normal and does not affect the integrity of the frame."

"Special Information About This Product:
Clear and translucent (trans) paints can show surface oxidation on chromo parts. This oxidation will not compromise the structural integrity of the part during its normal lifespan and is not considered a defect. If you do not want to see surface oxidation consider a chrome plated part or one painted in a solid color."

It's still a good idea to periodically look for cracks, bends and other shit.

|

5/6/2017 10:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/6/2017 10:23 AM

Thanks for the help! Im still a little worried (i have anxiety) but that helps me calm down a little.

|

5/6/2017 10:50 AM

It's your bike and your warranty my dude. There's no harm in calling, or emailing WTP just to verify.

If it really bothers you maybe they can exchange it for a solid color?

|

5/6/2017 12:54 PM

They're rust worms. Any clear or trans paint will either be like that, or go like that after time. They won't warranty a bike for something that's going to happen, and is only cosmetic. But to be fair, you probably voided the warranty the first time you done a manual or dropped off curb.

|

5/6/2017 2:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/6/2017 2:45 PM

Do you live in Adams? I lived there for a few years.
I don't see a crack though.

|