Is this a dangerous reverse dent?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/10/2011 9:19 PM

[LINK TO IMAGE]
[LINK TO IMAGE]

... Well is it? I have a bunch of dents on my frame but this one seems like it's bad because it's so close to the headtube.
|

8/10/2011 9:33 PM

you need a new frame... did the wall taste good?

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

8/10/2011 9:40 PM

how does that even happen?

|

refs- Tommyboy,mandingo215, lobo173, prophet,iridebmxeveryday,ctbmx86,1of1547,Warchol2,white knight,branBMX94,JakeSalbert

Subscribe to me on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/senika5634?feature=mhee

8/10/2011 9:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2011 9:50 PM

Well I just noticed it today... I was trying my first rail going up it and on some tries I kind of landed in that sort of area... but I don't think that was it because you can see the paint from the rail on the downtube. They're the different colored marks.

The only thing I can think of that causes force in the way that would give a reverse dent is running into walls sort of fast which I sometimes do for fun when I ride into the strip of brick wall next to my garage to stop instead of using my feet because I have no brakes.

You would think that you would be able to do something as little as that without damaging the frame... Well I would.

|

8/10/2011 9:56 PM

i have 2 frames for sale

S3 20.50tt $165
&
S4 20.75 tt $220

Both no cracks or dents

comes withn warenty cards

|

Check out my bike check :

http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/Bike-Checks,27/Eddie-sitting-on-G-sports-with-some-comfortable-2-35-s,1248752

Refs : one size fits all , stksausce , lbonbi , swine ,Areanfsl , Ajp62696 , the bald (frame!) , Aguers , mattjmuldoon@yahoo.com , showtime402

8/10/2011 9:57 PM

bend something once bend it back and its even weaker then it was after the first bend.

|

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

8/10/2011 10:57 PM

That's fucked, first of those I've seen.

|

Shakesman69: My penis is SMALL.

8/10/2011 11:01 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

bend something once bend it back and its even weaker then it was after the first bend.

Bend it back and put gussets in?

|

All my edits are iPhone edits...

last member of the week ever

G-SPORT - S&M - FIT - ODYSSEY

8/10/2011 11:03 PM

Does your photoshops come in reverse dented as well?

|

8/10/2011 11:09 PM

Shakesman69 wrote:

Does your photoshops come in reverse dented as well?

I lol'd. I can upload a video of it if you really don't think it's real.

|

8/11/2011 2:00 AM

jus cut the dent off??

|

refs: moyboy5, Gucci Mane La Flurr, jbeaton13, tinybikerider33, Lee_Rager,TCbmx, ultra blade, TerrorCrew, ~Stolen Boy~, bstick, ScramHype, AO8, Austin_Read
Albe's nigglets..

8/11/2011 2:44 AM

i've seen that happen before. friend of mine was trying to jump a 2 lane road and landed with the front wheel exactly in the corner of the road and curb. he had a colony frame. there's a picture somewhere of it i'll look for it.

|

Maintenance guy at The Railyard Bike Park in Rogers, Arkansas

facebook.com/TheRailyardAR/
Insta @the_railyard

facebook.com/tedhuie
Insta @ted_danger

8/11/2011 4:06 AM

Thats impressive....congrats on needing a new frame.

|

8/11/2011 4:53 AM

yea, ive seen this three times now.

|

8/11/2011 4:58 AM

Ouch that wall must have hurt

|

REFS: Drnwag irideafly sunday.bmx21 8=D xlilkillaluc15x Dennis916 Blake El Gingero mattjmuldoon@hotmail.com netty speghetti kr00253 bstick Dudeisdrumer109

pcoco ticaleb

8/11/2011 7:41 AM

If you look along the lines that the bump follows, it is damages under the paint. Your frame is going to break. It is just waiting for a good, hard landing or wall hit to do so. What will happen is this will grow a little more, and then right along the welds on your top tube will give out, and she will snap. I would suggest looking into either the warranty of the company that made your frame, or a new frame. At the very least, be careful with it.

There was a video I saw a long time ago, a guy looped out of something and ghosted his bike at like walking speed, it hit a wall and the headtube broke off. I was trying to find it as an example but couldn't.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/11/2011 8:23 AM

My friend will did that to his frame from nose casing a jump I think. You're definitely gonna need a new frame.

|

8/11/2011 8:44 AM

Awesome 77° headtube.

|

8/11/2011 9:12 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

If you look along the lines that the bump follows, it is damages under the paint. Your frame is going to break. It is just waiting for a good, hard landing or wall hit to do so. What will happen is this will grow a little more, and then right along the welds on your top tube will give out, and she will snap. I would suggest looking into either the warranty of the company that made your frame, or a new frame. At the very least, be careful with it.

There was a video I saw a long time ago, a guy looped out of something and ghosted his bike at like walking speed, it hit a wall and the headtube broke off. I was trying to find it as an example but couldn't.

A little faster than walking speed but I think this is the video you're talking about. And everyone saying it can happen with nose dives, that's a possibility for my frame too since I nose dive quite a bit from being a novice.
|

8/11/2011 9:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/11/2011 11:57 AM

I did that to a stock frame. Since there's no top tube gusset, the tube buckled. You need a new frame.

Edit: I just realized, that was the downtube. My bad!

|

8/11/2011 9:21 AM

mine did that right before it snapped like this [LINK TO IMAGE]

|

8/11/2011 10:05 AM

I wanted to know if it would be warrantied, so I went to the stolen website and couldn't find anything on their warranty policy although I knew it would probably suck. They only cover manufacturer defects for a year from purchase. He just emailed be back with this:

The picture of the 'reverse dent' in your email would actually be a wrinkle of the steel tubing. This indicates that the front end of the bicycle (usually fork) has undergone an impact that overexerted the frame tubing. In most instances this is caused by one large impact such as landing a large jump, or getting hit by a vehicle. In some instances the wrinkle can form gradually from several moderate impacts over time till it is finally noticed.

The warranty on our frames will cover manufacturing defects for 1 year from date of purchase. Based on the time frame alone it will no longer be covered, and as the photo depicts the frame has simply been impacted which is not a manufacturing defect. If the tubing would have cracked or split it would have possibly be under warranty, but in this instance the tubing has held up structurally for as long as it could endure as it was ridden/abused.

I like how he was telling me that it wasn't a manufacturer defect when that's already really obvious, but I guess he has to.

|