Is this a good bike?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/24/2015 2:22 PM

OK, I've been looking at the United Recruit 18 2015 and am wondering if I should get it. It is back ordered on danscomp and I'm wondering if I should look into other bikes. I have about 400$ to spend and do not post if the bike is not less than 23 lbs. I'm also 53 inches tall. Thanks

|

2/24/2015 2:38 PM

For two more pounds you could get a stronger bike. Check craiglists or a kink complete.

|

2/24/2015 2:44 PM

Being a weight whore and not wanting a bike over 23 pounds uh oh , your about to get shit on

|

2/24/2015 2:56 PM

Hmm man your in a pretty tough spot , how old are you ? Because an 18 inch bike isnt gonna last you long if you are still growing .

|

2/24/2015 3:33 PM

Don't get an 18, and a 25lb bike will be fine. Get a 20", no question

|

Insta: @thenoahrolf
Refs: Hatebreeder, vinum
Bike Check

Wrong! Russia doesn't even have gays! America is 80% homosexual! - mantaymark

the word n****r actually means ignorant in its original definition it wasn't until the internet became popular and it was changed to mean black people - OneGuyIlluminatiEye

2/24/2015 4:21 PM

Naw an 18 is perfect. My son is same height as you. We picked him up the Verde Cadet 18". Sealed everything besides that the only 2 downfalls would be get a seat and seat post and it uses a standard headset. Good bike for the price and if you have $400 to spend I recommend it and with the extra $100 left over pick up a 25.4mm seat post and a seat and you're ready to ride. Check the specs on it:
http://verdebmx.com/completes/2015-cadet18/

|

(insert sig here)

2/24/2015 5:22 PM

wildzcardz wrote:

Naw an 18 is perfect. My son is same height as you. We picked him up the Verde Cadet 18". Sealed everything besides that the ...more

That seems like a nice bike. I'll check it out. Don't really understand how you sealed everything though.

|

2/24/2015 5:24 PM

chad88 wrote:

Hmm man your in a pretty tough spot , how old are you ? Because an 18 inch bike isnt gonna last you long if you are still ...more

I'm 12 and yes I know that I am short. I am a late bloomer and won't start growing till about 14/15. My dad didn't grow till college. I think I'll be sticking with a 18" for a pretty long time.

|

2/24/2015 7:10 PM

Haha ok then yeah definitely buy an 18 inch and for your size it would be a good idea to find something pretty light , . If you have 400 to spend i wouldn't settle with the united . The verde cadet i was someone posted i would exactly recommened either , i had the 20inch one and the hubs died within months .

|

2/24/2015 7:37 PM

wildzcardz wrote:

Naw an 18 is perfect. My son is same height as you. We picked him up the Verde Cadet 18". Sealed everything besides that the ...more

quattro4444 wrote:

That seems like a nice bike. I'll check it out. Don't really understand how you sealed everything though.

Sealed bearings. For going 18" completes on a $400 budget won't truly get you a whole lot. Just buy one and maybe it lasts you 2 years most as long as you maintain it and by that time you should be ready for a 20". $400 was my price point too for my son, and I looked at all bikes around $400 and the Verde Cadet was one of the better bikes for that price range.

|

(insert sig here)

2/24/2015 8:19 PM

why 23 pounds?

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

2/24/2015 10:09 PM

do NOT get an 18" bike. get a 20" bike with a shorter 18.5" top tube. that way you can make whatever parts you want fit in the future.

do NOT get hung up on weight. 99% of complete bikes are around 25 lbs regardless of quality. 25 lbs bike built with sealed bearings and chromoly steel will ride best. if you feel the 2 lb difference makes it hard for you, do some pushups and rule #5. maybe get kevlar beaded tires to reduce the rotating weight.

|

2/25/2015 3:36 AM

So I guess I should ditch that bike. Could you guys give some suggestions of some bikes for me that are strong and sealed and stuff.

|

2/25/2015 3:38 AM

chad88 wrote:

Haha ok then yeah definitely buy an 18 inch and for your size it would be a good idea to find something pretty light , . If ...more

It's hard to find 18" inch bikes for sale does anyone know any trusted websites?

|

2/25/2015 3:43 AM

chad88 wrote:

Haha ok then yeah definitely buy an 18 inch and for your size it would be a good idea to find something pretty light , . If ...more

quattro4444 wrote:

It's hard to find 18" inch bikes for sale does anyone know any trusted websites?

Try albes and empire bmx. It'd be better if you got yourself a 20" because it'll be a bitch finding parts for a 18" bike if you break something. A 20" will be cheaper in the longrun. Even if a 20" top tube is to big you could always just get a stem with a short reach to make it feel like a 18".

|

2/25/2015 3:50 AM

chad88 wrote:

quattro4444 wrote:

Ahh skeet skeet wrote:

Try albes and empire bmx. It'd be better if you got yourself a 20" because it'll be a bitch finding parts for a 18" bike if ...more

Thanks

|

2/26/2015 10:42 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Being a weight whore and not wanting a bike over 23 pounds uh oh , your about to get shit on

this.

the anal poundings ive seen from this.

are worse than all of the holocaust.

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

2/26/2015 11:50 AM

An 18" bike should suit you quite well for your height.

Guys, remember that we are not talking about a 20" bike. 18" bikes are definitely not 25 lbs.

I just weighed a couple bikes for you and the Verde Cadet is the lightest at 22 lbs 9 oz, the Recruit is 22 lbs 14 oz and Fit's 18 is 23 lbs 1 oz.

All of those bikes have Pros and Cons, but they would all be good bikes.

Since you live in Tampa, I would find a good local shop and go ride a few of those bikes and see which one fits you best. Since they are all very similar in weight, fit is really going to be the deciding factor over which bike feels better for you. Give a few shops a call and see what they have in stock, also ask them if you can test ride the different bikes before purchasing.

Here's a few links for finding local dealers:

http://fitbikeco.com/dealerlocator/
http://verdebmx.com/dealers/
http://unitedbikeco.com/where-to-buy-united-bmx-product/

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

2/26/2015 3:54 PM

transition_chris wrote:

An 18" bike should suit you quite well for your height.

Guys, remember that we are not talking about a 20" bike. 18" bikes ...more

Thanks so much but I thought that the Recruit was 20.5 lbs.

|

2/26/2015 4:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2015 4:08 PM

quattro4444 wrote:

Thanks so much but I thought that the Recruit was 20.5 lbs.

Well, according to the Park Tool Scale in our shop it is actually 22 lbs 14 oz. This is assembled with the brakes on, and grease on all the bolts haha.

Bikes usually seem to be a bit heavier than the manufacturers list. I'm not sure exactly how they weigh them.

None of this really matters though because a few ounces more or less won't necessarily make the bike feel lighter when comparing it to other bikes. For example, the Fit has taller / wider bars than the Cadet. You may feel more comfortable with the bigger bars and maybe the added leverage makes the bike feel lighter when you ride it. Or they might feel a bit big and you may like the way the Cadet rides a bit better.

Best thing to do would be to check them out in person if you can!

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

2/26/2015 5:44 PM

I live SUPEEERRRR close to J & R's but they don't hold 18" bikes anymore so I'm kind of stuck.

|

2/26/2015 5:45 PM

They Hold the fit 18 tho

|

2/26/2015 5:45 PM

And the WTP Curse 18"

|

2/26/2015 5:58 PM

20.25 top tube

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

2/27/2015 3:22 PM

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

20.25 top tube

?????

|

2/27/2015 10:41 PM

It doesn't provide enough pleasure when riding ;D

|

2/27/2015 10:43 PM

CrazyClarkV3 wrote:

Is pleasure the only thing you care about? You should be worried about AIDS , HIV, ETC.

|

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. (Ecclesiastes 12:7 KJV)
Sold to: storeboughtchild,Maximusbikes,cro tec,Showtime402,Kevinbrock338,dktechethan,Robinson79
Traded: livefreeordie2332(x2), Aebasher.
TXT Me (480)340-7551

2/27/2015 10:47 PM

CrazyClarkV3 wrote:

Mario.villegas90 wrote:

Is pleasure the only thing you care about? You should be worried about AIDS , HIV, ETC.

You are being a dirty boy mario ;D

|

2/27/2015 10:49 PM

CrazyClarkV3 wrote:

Mario.villegas90 wrote:

CrazyClarkV3 wrote:

No actually I took a shower earlier

|

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. (Ecclesiastes 12:7 KJV)
Sold to: storeboughtchild,Maximusbikes,cro tec,Showtime402,Kevinbrock338,dktechethan,Robinson79
Traded: livefreeordie2332(x2), Aebasher.
TXT Me (480)340-7551

2/27/2015 11:00 PM

Mario.villegas90 wrote:

CrazyClarkV3 wrote:

Mario.villegas90 wrote:

No actually I took a shower earlier

So you're freshly dirty! oooo pleasuring ;D

|