Is this a mongoose mode 540? Is it any good?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/22/2018 9:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/22/2018 10:10 PM

One of my buddies kid does wheelies, bunny hops, ect.. basically charges hard but he has a cheap heavy bike (Kent?) and he wore it out bad. I want to know if this bike is full chromoly, a good deal ($80 obo) or does anyone have experience with this bike. Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

1/22/2018 11:08 PM

It's not so good man. It's all Hi Ten, as far as I know. The only "Mode" that's a great buy is the 900.

|

1/22/2018 11:26 PM

Plan to spend around $150 and you should find something semi decent. If the kid goes hard than this is not the frame for him.

|

1/22/2018 11:54 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Plan to spend around $150 and you should find something semi decent. If the kid goes hard than this is not the frame for him. ...more

Oh, I wasn't planning on paying retail or anything close. It's my friend's kid, he is like nine or ten (little guy), my buddy doesn't want to spend a fortune on bikes eventhough I explained to him that if he keeps on buying cheap ones he'll spend more in the long run. I'm trying to get this riding again I have some parts but I don't want to put them on a horrible frame. I thought the Mode 540 had a chromoly triangle or something that would be an upgrade but it's good to know it isn't. I'll look for something else because I'm not letting the kids kill my bike too. Lol

|

1/22/2018 11:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2018 12:05 AM

$150 is not even touching a semi decent entry level...for $150 you can find a decent used that will be safe for your kid. Decent retail bikes start at around $369 ++

|

1/23/2018 12:12 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

$150 is not even touching a semi decent entry level...for $150 you can find a decent used that will be safe for your kid. ...more

God damnit it's not my kid!! Haha. The kid is white and I'm Mexican af. My buddy CASEY is a cheap f#$& and asked me to look for something cheap, like dirt cheap, because he is frugal and knows nothing about bikes (I know slightly more than that) so this was the first bike in the price range. I was only curious about the wal-goose. I'm sure I'll find something at 20"-20.5" tt maybe full chromoly or at least a chromoly triangle for the kid to break. (Thumbs up emoji)

|

1/23/2018 4:50 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Plan to spend around $150 and you should find something semi decent. If the kid goes hard than this is not the frame for him. ...more

Rubio151 wrote:

Oh, I wasn't planning on paying retail or anything close. It's my friend's kid, he is like nine or ten (little guy), my buddy ...more

There are better deals to be had used. I recently picked up a full chromoly frame, fork, bars, cranks, and a freecoaster complete for $140. HE had it listed at $180 but I offered him $140 & he took it. It's got some scratches, etc.... but it's a really nice bike. Not knowing your market, I'd say to keep looking. For $150, I could ship you my wildman xpert (full chromoly everything) that would be a much better bike. If, by chance you are interested, let me know.

|

1/23/2018 5:30 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Rubio151 wrote:

Oh, I wasn't planning on paying retail or anything close. It's my friend's kid, he is like nine or ten (little guy), my buddy ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

There are better deals to be had used. I recently picked up a full chromoly frame, fork, bars, cranks, and a freecoaster ...more

Thanks Mishinn, I live next Silicon Valley in the armpit of California... The Central valley, the area has a decent amount of bikes in that price range. But I'm not the one buying. I'm the one that was asked/took it upon myself to find his step son a bike for free pretty much. My buddy's wife asked me if I had an extra set of 20" wheels for his bike and I do but im not gonna give the kid a set of wheels worth more than his bike. So, I'm still looking. Found a Hoffman Ave almost brand new and they are asking 75$ obo. I know it's not the best but it's better than not riding. P.S. if anyone is looking for a road bike or any type of mountain bike check out Craigslist San Jose CA these rich tech a$$holes... Carbon this and carbon that. Too bad I know less about mtb than I do about BMX.

|

1/23/2018 5:33 AM

Rubio151 wrote:

Thanks Mishinn, I live next Silicon Valley in the armpit of California... The Central valley, the area has a decent amount of ...more

Yeah, it'[s one of those things where shipping kills you. I'd actually sell you the SE for what I got it for if you were close by. Unfortunately, it'd cost about as much to ship it as it would be to buy it. LOL.

|