Is this all I'll need?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/28/2018 7:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2018 7:38 PM

Hey guys! So I am a bit of a noob when it comes to brakes... especially gyro setups and what not... so I went to Empire and found everyrthing I'll probably need... but I need conformation if this is all I need..Photo
I feel this would be a decent brake set up for the money... so the Odyssey G3 gyro comes with u per and lower cables btw... so is this everything I'll need? Thanks guys!

Also you can see I put clear slim by fours in my cart, are those loud? I really like loud brakes to scare this shit out of people, so are they loud? Thanks guys!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/28/2018 7:44 PM

Well, the brakes usually have pads so unless you wanted other pads that's overkill. Don't forget gyro tabs if you don't have them. They are typically standard so you can buy any make. Also, you might need a cable hanger for the tt of the frame.

|

1/28/2018 7:49 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Well, the brakes usually have pads so unless you wanted other pads that's overkill. Don't forget gyro tabs if you don't have ...more

Ok, Hatebreeder shupping the brake mounts and gyro tabs with the Soundwave... but wtf is a cable hanger? You mean this thing? Not one of the brake posts but that square looking thing?Photo

|

1/28/2018 8:00 PM

On your frames tt, about 6" from the seat tube, there's a mount location. There's usually a gyro tab sort of tab that mounts there to accept the list gyro cable. From there, it branches to the bridge cable of the rear brakes. Odyssey also has a cool thing... It's called a "London mod" which allows you to run two cables (one on each side) from your gyro to that same "cables stop" location.personally, i think it's pretty cool. I might make one myself. If you were to but one of those, several online shops carry them but they were really cheap thru odyssey directly.

|

1/28/2018 8:01 PM

This is what I was initially talking about:

Photo

|

1/28/2018 8:43 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

This is what I was initially talking about:

Photo

Ah I see... I guess I'll have to wait for the frame to get here to make sure I have all that stuff... fuck why do brakes have to be so confusing lollaughing

|

1/28/2018 10:39 PM

The springfield brakes come with black ghost pads.

If you just get the kit it comes with the lever, u brakes, pads, cable hanger, linear cable, medium lever and extra springs. I think it ends up being cheaper too.

|

1/28/2018 11:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2018 11:21 PM

Yes, clear pads are generally louder. Paired with a chrome rim (sometimes an anodized color one), and you'll be riding an angry pig.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

1/29/2018 1:32 AM

Get the complete Springfield kit. Save some money. Or the evo2 kit would be even better. That's what I have on my Sunday. Works great.

|

1/29/2018 1:54 AM

Thats not the correct gyro. That is for a frame with press in headset cups. The chrome gyro thingy may work, but something like a Snafu Mobues is what you need. Im pretty sure Kink, Shadow and Odyssey make one too.

That thing in the pic is the cable hanger. Sunday's is strange as the barrel adjusted just sits in there.

|

Legit

Oscar5788,Scramhype,SuperstarDK,Howlerfbm,AlexDanielP,KilledGlamour,notorious NIG,KYMIKE

1/29/2018 2:02 AM

The Springfield brake is a bit poo. No adjustment, and occasionally the straddle cable pops out of the arm (happens on my son's, and a kid at the local park) which is, I assume, due to the weakness of the spring. It is pretty good value for money, but the evo 2 is leaps and bounds better. You don't need the straight cable, obviously, but at least you'll have it if you get bored of having a gyro. Do you have gyro tabs? The bottom plate of the g3 won't work with an integrated headset, so you definitely need em.
The cable hanger (yoke) comes with the brake

|

1/29/2018 4:58 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

The springfield brakes come with black ghost pads.

If you just get the kit it comes with the lever, u brakes, pads, cable ...more

I know it comes with pads, I just want loud as brakes lol

|

1/29/2018 5:00 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Get the complete Springfield kit. Save some money. Or the evo2 kit would be even better. That's what I have on my Sunday. ...more

I know, I'd do that but I just really need/want a gyro...

|

1/29/2018 5:05 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

The Springfield brake is a bit poo. No adjustment, and occasionally the straddle cable pops out of the arm (happens on my ...more

Yeah I'll have the gyro tabs with the frame... but I want that Monolever, I don't really want that Springfeild one...

|

1/29/2018 5:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/29/2018 5:12 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

The Springfield brake is a bit poo. No adjustment, and occasionally the straddle cable pops out of the arm (happens on my ...more

Also, I think I'm going to go with the EVO II brakes by Odyssey... I just want something I don't have to fix/replace parts on all the time...

|

1/29/2018 5:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/29/2018 6:32 AM

Hatebreeder wrote:

Thats not the correct gyro. That is for a frame with press in headset cups. The chrome gyro thingy may work, but something ...more

Good eye! I didn't really pay attention other than to see if all the components were there... Yeah, you'll need a gyro for an integrated headset.

|

1/29/2018 5:57 AM

that is a good enough set up man. as long as you set it up correctly, it will work just as good as a high dollar gyro. make sure your frame has gyro tabs because the lower gyro tab on that kit is not compatible with integrated frames. everything else is fine though.

|

It’s all bmx

1/29/2018 6:34 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

that is a good enough set up man. as long as you set it up correctly, it will work just as good as a high dollar gyro. make ...more

Yeah, I'm just dropping the ball on all of this! You could get that gyro & just not use that lower gyro "tab" piece.

|

1/29/2018 6:42 AM

I'd second the EVO II brake setup. Once it's dialed in, it's solid as hell. It can sometimes be frustrating to mount and tighten everything perfectly, but just be patient. It's the kind of setup where if something is wrong, you'll be able to see it.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/29/2018 6:44 AM

Hatebreeder wrote:

Thats not the correct gyro. That is for a frame with press in headset cups. The chrome gyro thingy may work, but something ...more

Are you sure, dude? I run a G3 on an integrated headset and it works fine?

Maybe I'm missing something.

|

1/29/2018 6:45 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

that is a good enough set up man. as long as you set it up correctly, it will work just as good as a high dollar gyro. make ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Yeah, I'm just dropping the ball on all of this! You could get that gyro & just not use that lower gyro "tab" piece.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that without that one bottom peice it'll work fine... and yeah the frame will have the gyro tabs...

|

1/29/2018 6:57 AM

Hatebreeder wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Are you sure, dude? I run a G3 on an integrated headset and it works fine?

Maybe I'm missing something.

Hate just means that they sell gyros that are meant for integrated headsets. The one Honda has listed is for a non-integrated headset. But the only difference is that the non-integrated setup comes with a "gyro tab" piece that mounts underneath the pressed in bearing cup. In Honda's case, if he were to buy that headset, he could just not use that one piece since he has gyro tabs on the frame that accomplish the same task.

|

1/29/2018 6:59 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Hate just means that they sell gyros that are meant for integrated headsets. The one Honda has listed is for a non-integrated ...more

Ahh ok, cool. I was a bit confused. I didn't set up my gyro originally as it was done probably like 5 years ago at this point, but I've taken it apart and re-installed several times without any issues.

|

1/29/2018 7:34 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah I'll have the gyro tabs with the frame... but I want that Monolever, I don't really want that Springfeild one...

Definitely coming with the frame? Stating a frame has gyro tabs more often than not means it has the holes drilled and tapped for the mounts, but doesn't include them

|

1/29/2018 8:05 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Definitely coming with the frame? Stating a frame has gyro tabs more often than not means it has the holes drilled and tapped ...more

Yes Hatebreeder is including all the brake hardware I need... I bought it used btw.. it's a 21.25 Sunday Soundwave

|

1/29/2018 8:24 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Definitely coming with the frame? Stating a frame has gyro tabs more often than not means it has the holes drilled and tapped ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yes Hatebreeder is including all the brake hardware I need... I bought it used btw.. it's a 21.25 Sunday Soundwave

Buy a cheap straight cable with it for like 3 bucks and then you can choose to run a straight cable for the superior brake setup.

|

Hmmm

1/29/2018 12:15 PM

Unless you are doing triple bars, you can runa straight cable. Learn bars both ways and you can save $ and weight.

Straight cables are nice.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/29/2018 12:59 PM

Don't run clear pads unless you like squealing pig noises and not stopping or locking the wheel and having no modulation at all. Maybe those ones are different but I'll never try clear pads again.

|

1/29/2018 2:11 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Don't run clear pads unless you like squealing pig noises and not stopping or locking the wheel and having no modulation at ...more

I want loud ass brakes lol.. everyone on the walking trails when I'm riding to the parks have their ear buds in, so I want to scare the shit out of them so they'll get out of my way lol

|

1/29/2018 2:34 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Don't run clear pads unless you like squealing pig noises and not stopping or locking the wheel and having no modulation at ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I want loud ass brakes lol.. everyone on the walking trails when I'm riding to the parks have their ear buds in, so I want to ...more

LOL, that was kinda handy. The clear pads I had simply didn't work. I'm sure they're not all the same.

|