Is this cool to ride?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/28/2015 4:04 PM

I just got back from the bike shop. (It literally just closed) Didnt notice they forgot to put the dust cap/ bearing cover on when they installed my cranks. Is it okay to ride like this? I plan on going back in the morning.Photo

|

9/28/2015 4:09 PM

Perfectly fine.

I mean cool.

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

9/28/2015 4:15 PM

id go back to that bike shop and bite the guys head off! its a dust cap! it protects your bearings from getting nasty and destoryed go back and get that cap on before he looses it somewhere

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

9/28/2015 4:16 PM

forgets a dust cap- seriously, what kinda mechanics is he employing at that place? go back first thing in the morning and tell them whats up,

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

9/28/2015 4:28 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

forgets a dust cap- seriously, what kinda mechanics is he employing at that place? go back first thing in the morning and tell them whats up,

Yea, I just didn't want to head back after a night of riding and have them charge me another service fee or something... And honestly its not the first time a bike shop has forgotten a piece or given back all my parts

|

9/28/2015 4:38 PM

Go and ask for it back but don't be a dick about it. It's just a dust cap, you don't even need it. Sometimes people just forget stuff.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

9/28/2015 4:45 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Go and ask for it back but don't be a dick about it. It's just a dust cap, you don't even need it. Sometimes people just forget stuff.

Word, I try not to be a dick haha. The guys at this particular bike shop are actually cool, even showed me a quicker way to put my pedals on and told me about a dirt trail. Its mainly the bike shops that I go to in the city (Philadelphia) that seem like assholes and don't want to be bothered.

|

9/28/2015 5:17 PM

If you look on the instructions for thunderbolts it says you can either use the provided dustcap OR a bunch of spacers so everyone that is saying to go there and raise hell should be ignored. If you prefer the look of the dustcap just go back and politely tell them you'd prefer the dustcap instead of spacers. the schematics just show spacers and that's probably what they were looking at...

http://www.odysseybmx.com/dailyword/archivesV2/1985/01/odyssey-twombolt-crank-instruction-manual.pdf

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

9/28/2015 6:07 PM

Id prefer a dust cap. if you mess up a grind you don't want to land on the seal or some weird shit. i think it helps.

But as mentioned, you may be okay. I just think it's useful.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

9/28/2015 6:33 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

One time a shop forgot to put the crank bolt itself on.

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

9/28/2015 6:41 PM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

If you look on the instructions for thunderbolts it says you can either use the provided dustcap OR a bunch of spacers so everyone that is saying to go there and raise hell should be ignored. If you prefer the look of the dustcap just go back and politely tell them you'd prefer the dustcap instead of spacers. the schematics just show spacers and that's probably what they were looking at...

http://www.odysseybmx.com/dailyword/archivesV2/1985/01/odyssey-twombolt-crank-instruction-manual.pdf

This.

It might be impossible to fit the cone spacers on there anyway if the BB shell is too wide. I was able to fit both my cone spacers but some people cannot have both on there cause it will mess with their chain alignment for one, or take up too much space on the spindle due to having a wider BB shell, thus only being able to fit those smaller spacers on it.

|

9/28/2015 7:07 PM

as long as your crank arm doesnt rub agaisnt your frame its ok to ride but you gotta go get your dustcap unless they did it on purpose cus your spindle is too short and the arm wasnt tightn properly thus making the mecanic remove it por proper fitting if thats the case you either have to get a longer spindle o a shorter bb (new frame)

|

9/28/2015 10:58 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

id go back to that bike shop and bite the guys head off! its a dust cap! it protects your bearings from getting nasty and destoryed go back and get that cap on before he looses it somewhere

I bet they'll say they cant find it or something like it

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

9/29/2015 4:24 AM

Yes, it's perfectly fine.

The people saying you need a dust cap on a sealed bearing are idiots.

|

9/29/2015 4:34 AM

dkTechEthan wrote:

Shortdude wrote:

One time a shop forgot to put the crank bolt itself on.

i need more coffee before i can even this morning, excuse me...

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

9/29/2015 7:42 AM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

Just saw this, thanks for the pdf. Puts my mind at ease... I just didn't want to risk ruining the bearings or having huge problems later. Haha I remember him (guy that serviced my bike) saying that something about the bottom bracket sizing in my frame being weird but I just figured it was to explain why they had to contact odyssey for some spacers and whatnot.

|