Is this okay?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/8/2018 5:27 AM

Photo

Is this okay? All the nips don't look like they're properly seated, they look like they're being pulled against the rim if that makes sense...
|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

6/8/2018 6:02 AM

Idk

|

Hmmm

6/8/2018 6:42 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Idk

Lol same haha

|

6/8/2018 6:47 AM

Is it a particular set of spokes? Inbound? Non drive only? Did you pre stress the spokes? Did you tighten every spoke evenly and count the turns? It shouldn't make a massive difference, just keep an eye on tension as they may bed in whilst riding, and need a re tension

|

6/8/2018 6:55 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Is it a particular set of spokes? Inbound? Non drive only? Did you pre stress the spokes? Did you tighten every spoke evenly ...more

Yeah, I pre stressed the spokes, and it's pretty much all the nipples that sit like this... I mean will the nipples sit better after riding it or did I actually screw something up lol

|

6/8/2018 8:10 AM

What rim is it? That's probably the best it'll get to be honest. The alienation felon is the only rim that's drilled specifically so the nipple sits decently anyway (with their 4d drilling process)

|

6/8/2018 8:39 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

What rim is it? That's probably the best it'll get to be honest. The alienation felon is the only rim that's drilled ...more

It's a Primo VS rim...

|

6/8/2018 8:41 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

What rim is it? That's probably the best it'll get to be honest. The alienation felon is the only rim that's drilled ...more

All alienation rims

|

Hmmm

6/8/2018 8:52 AM

Ride it some, check spoke tension every few days. Looks like it just hasn't seated 100% yet. And every wheel needs a retension of the spokes after a few rides. A few are always going to be unperfect. Unless your talking about road bikes that hardly ever see bumps let alone anything past a bump. They build their wheels like they are building a Lamborghini. Everything is all but perfect in every single way. If it starts to show something really weird, that the spokes out in that area and look at the inside of the rim for anything off or unusual. That is only about 4 spokes, but really unless you see an issue it is probably just how it will be. But, I honestly have not seen off set spokes like that even on cheap wheels if everything is together and tensioned right.

|

6/8/2018 8:55 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

The G-Sport Ribcage and most cross-lacing rims I've seen have proper seats for the nipples.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

6/8/2018 9:31 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

The G-Sport Ribcage and most cross-lacing rims I've seen have proper seats for the nipples.

My rollcages don't. Alienation felon is the only rim advertised as using the 4d drilling. And it really does seat the nipple perfectly. Any cross lace rim just has the angled section to help it face the right direction, but it still won't sit perfectly

|

6/8/2018 10:39 AM

Lay it down on a surface that won't slide and you don't care about scratches on then stand on the spokes putting most of your weight on them, this will essentially bed in the wheel without riding it.
Just make sure to get every spoke and stand on about 4 at a time.

|

Hmmm

6/8/2018 10:56 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Lay it down on a surface that won't slide and you don't care about scratches on then stand on the spokes putting most of your ...more

That method doesn't work very well, in my opinion, and you can easily damage something. My preferred method is to put a screwdriver between a crossed pair of spokes and twist them against each other a little. It can also easily damage the parts if you're too aggressive but it's very effective and it's repeatable.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

6/8/2018 1:01 PM

Edman123 wrote:

Lay it down on a surface that won't slide and you don't care about scratches on then stand on the spokes putting most of your ...more

This but don't stand on it. You're supposed to do this multiple times while gradually tensioning the spokes. Just put a hand either side of the rim (3 and 6 o'clock) and lean on it. Do it in multiple positions and both sides of the wheel

|

6/8/2018 2:03 PM

^^ I think I'll just ride it to bed it in, I don't really want to screw something up lol

|

6/9/2018 2:20 PM

Built my first wheel last night. Was easier than I thought! No longer will I buy a complete wheel unless its cheaper!

|

6/9/2018 2:25 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Built my first wheel last night. Was easier than I thought! No longer will I buy a complete wheel unless its cheaper!

Yeah as long as you get the first spokes right it basically builds itself, I was told by pretty much everyone that I wouldn't be able to build wheels and to go to a bike shop.
One afternoon later and I'm riding new wheels lol.

|

Hmmm

6/9/2018 5:22 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Ya man! Building the wheel was WAAAY easier than I thought as well!

|

6/10/2018 1:42 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

Yeah as long as you get the first spokes right it basically builds itself, I was told by pretty much everyone that I wouldn't ...more

The first spoke, and turning the hub the right way is where most people go wrong!

|