Some problems need solutions

Related:
Create New Tag

1/14/2014 5:40 PM

So I went out to a bike shop closing sale and I was like fuck yeah a profile spline drive sprocket on sale, I'll buy that, so I did. Came home, and noticed I have 2 piece cranks, and I have LHD. I can't use spline drive, but then I wondered. I know your not sopost to, but should I just flip my cranks around? And then use the sprocket? The bike shops closed now.. So no returns, I contacted a local bike shop and asked if they would trade.. I didn't ride it at all, and the sprockets worth more then the one I want. But ya could I just do that?

|

Bang Bang bmx

1/14/2014 5:56 PM

You can, but your pedals will be on backwards. Guess you could always switch the pedal bodies though, but you'd need to put loc-tite on your pedal threads to stay tight

|

1/14/2014 6:00 PM

You can, I've seen people do it. Like Sunday said you can flip the cranks to lhd then flip then switch pedal bodies and it should be okay. I remember seeing someone who did it not too long ago.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

1/14/2014 6:04 PM

Four wrote:

You can, I've seen people do it. Like Sunday said you can flip the cranks to lhd then flip then switch pedal bodies and it should be okay. I remember seeing someone who did it not too long ago.

Oh fuck yeah thank you guys.. I just remembered that, I just needed this one thing to ride again after 6 months of issues

|

Bang Bang bmx

1/14/2014 6:23 PM

Well fuck.. They aren't interchangeable

|

Bang Bang bmx

1/14/2014 6:33 PM

Doesn't look like,it tho
Photo

|

Bang Bang bmx

1/14/2014 6:35 PM

leave the spindles in the same arms, but take the pedal bodies off. like everything but the spindle

|

1/14/2014 7:27 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

leave the spindles in the same arms, but take the pedal bodies off. like everything but the spindle

I'll try it again..

|

Bang Bang bmx

1/14/2014 7:45 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Now what? I got took off the bolt and now what?

|

Bang Bang bmx

1/14/2014 7:50 PM

Here's a pic of where I'm at
Photo

|

Bang Bang bmx

1/14/2014 8:03 PM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

Now what? I got took off the bolt and now what?

unscrew the second nut (should be a washer in front of it) then carefully slide the pedal body off. make sure you don't drop any bearings & if you do, don't lose them.

next step would be switching the pedal bodies over, doesn't matter which one you do first but say you do the left one first. Take the left body, and right spindle, and making sure all the ball bearings are in place, just slide the spindle through it and screw the first nut back into the pedal, then the washer, then the end nut.

this is where it gets tricky and I really don't know any better to do this.. but you need to get the inner nut tightened, with a bit of wobble in the pedal (use a flat head screwdriver) then tighten the outer nut, and spin the pedal. it should spin freely and not catchy, with minimal wobble.

if it wobbles too much, loosen the outer bolt and take the flat head screwdriver and tighten the inner nut just a hair, then tighten the outer nut. if it's too catchy/doesn't spin well, loosen the inner nut & try again. gotta piss with it like that for a little bit, then just do the same with the other pedal.

|

1/14/2014 9:01 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

unscrew the second nut (should be a washer in front of it) then carefully slide the pedal body off. make sure you don't drop any bearings & if you do, don't lose them.

next step would be switching the pedal bodies over, doesn't matter which one you do first but say you do the left one first. Take the left body, and right spindle, and making sure all the ball bearings are in place, just slide the spindle through it and screw the first nut back into the pedal, then the washer, then the end nut.

this is where it gets tricky and I really don't know any better to do this.. but you need to get the inner nut tightened, with a bit of wobble in the pedal (use a flat head screwdriver) then tighten the outer nut, and spin the pedal. it should spin freely and not catchy, with minimal wobble.

if it wobbles too much, loosen the outer bolt and take the flat head screwdriver and tighten the inner nut just a hair, then tighten the outer nut. if it's too catchy/doesn't spin well, loosen the inner nut & try again. gotta piss with it like that for a little bit, then just do the same with the other pedal.

I'm done now, but.. What did that do other then just switch pedal body's? The only thing it did was switch pedal body's. How would that help with my cranks being flipped?

|

Bang Bang bmx

1/14/2014 9:05 PM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

I'm done now, but.. What did that do other then just switch pedal body's? The only thing it did was switch pedal body's. How would that help with my cranks being flipped?

your pedals won't be facing the wrong way now

|

1/14/2014 10:14 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

your pedals won't be facing the wrong way now

But their still going to get loose because I'm riding my cranks flipped.. But whatever not I know how to take apart a pedal. The More I know

|

Bang Bang bmx

1/14/2014 10:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2014 10:18 PM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

But their still going to get loose because I'm riding my cranks flipped.. But whatever not I know how to take apart a pedal. The More I know

That's why I said in an earlier post, put some loc-tite in there.

never know though, my one friend ran his pedals like that for like 2 years & they never came loose. they just felt weird to ride since he didn't switch the bodies

|

1/14/2014 10:51 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

That's why I said in an earlier post, put some loc-tite in there.

never know though, my one friend ran his pedals like that for like 2 years & they never came loose. they just felt weird to ride since he didn't switch the bodies

What cranks? Oh ya.. I fucked up one of my cranks and I was lucky enough to find a extra cank arm at a shop and bought it for 5$.. Also since you work at a bike shop.. Would not using a spacer when putting in the bb effect anything?

|

Bang Bang bmx

1/14/2014 11:00 PM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

What cranks? Oh ya.. I fucked up one of my cranks and I was lucky enough to find a extra cank arm at a shop and bought it for 5$.. Also since you work at a bike shop.. Would not using a spacer when putting in the bb effect anything?

You NEED that spacer, without it as you tighten your cranks together, the bearings are just gonna be pushed on & pushed on, with nothing in the middle to keep them from moving. I can go more into detail about that if you want, but in short, you need it.

and he had Odyssey Wombolts, with Animal pedals I believe.

|

1/14/2014 11:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2014 11:54 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

You NEED that spacer, without it as you tighten your cranks together, the bearings are just gonna be pushed on & pushed on, with nothing in the middle to keep them from moving. I can go more into detail about that if you want, but in short, you need it.

and he had Odyssey Wombolts, with Animal pedals I believe.

My S&M ATF has things to stop the bearings from going further in.. Little pieces of metal that stick up, also put as much detail as you want.. More learning for me

|

Bang Bang bmx

1/14/2014 11:54 PM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

My S&M ATF has things to stop the bearings from going further in.. Little pieces of metal that stick up, also put as much detail as you want.. More learning for me

All frames do, that's for the outer race. the inner bearing races need the internal spacer to keep the inner races from moving in too far, get what I mean?

|

1/14/2014 11:55 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

All frames do, that's for the outer race. the inner bearing races need the internal spacer to keep the inner races from moving in too far, get what I mean?

Yup.. I'll have to hammer out the bb and add the spacer

|

Bang Bang bmx

1/15/2014 12:01 AM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

Yup.. I'll have to hammer out the bb and add the spacer

It's for the best. Some people don't use them and say they have no problems, but it's A LOT better for the bearings & keeps your cranks tight as well. I used to not use it many years ago and my bearings didn't last very long & always felt really draggy when I had them out of the frame. Nowadays since I use the spacer, they always feel fairly new

|