I've recently bought a Shadow Rant Cassette Hub

Related:
Create New Tag

1/18/2020 4:16 PM

So, I've been slowly piecing a bike together again. And I picked up a wheelset that has a Highlighter Blue LHD Shadow Rant Cassette.

*If you go on my profile you'll see a bike I picked up well before this post, it was about an Eastern Reaper v1*

When I got home I started to look over it, and when I did whatever maintenance I usually do I installed it on a United Mothership v3 I also got for $40 used, and I was surprised to see the non drive side end of the axle had more threads *longer length past the dropouts* than the drive side. I thought it was strange at first but thinking back to the era this hub was sold in then I thought maybe it's because 2 pegs were still the *popular thing*.

I searched around google and came up dry on anything related to that and couldn't even find an ebay listing of the Rant cassette.

Idk how much luck I'll have posting here but I'm going to be emailing Shadow after having made this thread because I'm really curious.

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

1/18/2020 4:20 PM

This is a used hub right? Perhaps the previous owner trimmed the axle themselves.

|

1/18/2020 4:23 PM

The person that you bought it from probably cut the axle. It's pretty common for people who run two pegs to cut off the excess threads from the non pegs side so that the axle is flush with the axle nut. Does it look cut?

|

1/18/2020 4:34 PM

It doesn’t look cut but I actually took a look at a hub sound on YouTube out of all things and it looks like mine is missing a nut from the non drive side, maybe the owner just couldn’t find it and that’s probably part of the reason why he dropped the price down so much, the axle nuts were a tad seized but I got that fixed too haha.

I seem to just have a case of the big dumb with this hub

This is the video where you can see an extra wide nut on the NDS

Photo
Photo
Photo
|

My Youtube / RainBMX

1/18/2020 4:56 PM

I have the same hub lying around here, there definitely should be another nut on that. they most likely took it off so they could fit a hub guard onto it without having to spread the dropouts. The axle isn't shorter on one end than another just to clarify that too, it's cause it's missing the nut that it comes through the dropouts more than it should

|

1/18/2020 8:18 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I have the same hub lying around here, there definitely should be another nut on that. they most likely took it off so they could fit a hub guard onto it without having to spread the dropouts. The axle isn't shorter on one end than another just to clarify that too, it's cause it's missing the nut that it comes through the dropouts more than it should

Yeah I ended up realizing that a little bit after posting.
#thebigdumb

|

My Youtube / RainBMX

1/18/2020 10:05 PM

I’m riding one on my cassette bike and replaced the nut with a BSD Jersey Barrier Hub Guard (for Profile hubs.) Works great, and it’s an awesome hub.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx