Jet Fuel/Oil Slick Coating

Related:
Create New Tag

8/10/2014 3:48 PM

Wondering if there is a technical term for this coating? I run a small custom powdercoating and anodizing shop and was really wanting to try this out. I'm also looking into trying some hydro graphics on smaller parts like stems and hubs but people are going crazy for this oil slick/ jet fuel coating whatever you wanna call it. If it doesn't require gnarly chemicals like chroming I'd like to give it a shot. Looks like it can be done on steel as well as aluminum so the possibilities could be endless.

|

8/10/2014 6:05 PM

Figure out the next big coating. Get ahead before others do and strike it rich.

|

Ref: Mario.villegas90, Williambreathes

8/10/2014 6:09 PM

its a very expensive process where the parts are exposed to some sort of gas. its very expensive unless you do hundreds of parts at a time, and even then its much more than anodizing

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/10/2014 6:11 PM

from the mouth of george from gsport
"It's Plasma Vapour Deposition. They stick the part in a revolving carousel type thing and it gets blasted with vapourised metal that condenses onto the part. It is very very expensive to run a batch so you really need to pack out the machine with parts. Something like stems you can rack quite a few in there so the cost isnt too crazy, but it is still much higher than normal anodising etc. Doing a frame or fork or bars is likely to be very expensive (like doubling the price of the part) so we may well never see production of these parts with it."

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/10/2014 8:17 PM

I believe its Titanium Oxynitride

|

8/10/2014 9:45 PM

Then you scratch it doing a nose manual and never forgive yourself to the point you stop that trick.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/10/2014 9:53 PM

It's made in a magical process involving leprechauns buttraping unicorns, or so I've heard, on the internet, and we all know if it's on the interwebs it must be true...

|

HardBMX_Tim wrote: I welded a peg to my pedal so I could do pedal grinds. I would rather wear a teletubbies speedo than a shirt with the word "Bitches" on it, or even worse, "Swag".

8/11/2014 2:07 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Then you scratch it doing a nose manual and never forgive yourself to the point you stop that trick.

Can't scratch parts if you're always in the foam pit...hah.

I hate oilslick, but i suppose it's a pretty handy park rat alert

|

Insta: @devicacy

8/11/2014 4:49 AM

GThompson121 wrote:

I believe its Titanium Oxynitride

Thanks man, googled it and looks like I can't do it with any of my existing equipment so eff it!

|

8/11/2014 6:23 AM

you could always try and make a painting technique that looks similiar to oilslick. Mix like reds and yellows and purples with clear and paint in thin layers ehh

|

8/11/2014 6:53 AM

walmart does it for cheap on that magical bike ask them

|

8/11/2014 8:46 AM

Chrome> oil slick any day

|

8/11/2014 8:55 AM

eskimojay wrote:

This.

But it is neat in small doses.

Honestly if you heat chrome exhaust correctly it can get the blues on it, so maybe heating a frame a certain way after chroming would do it?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/15/2019 5:58 PM

Nope, because your bike is not made out of anything even close to the same metal as an exhaust pipe. You would just weaken the welds and possibly ruin the frame. (I’ve tried it, cromoly doesn’t blu very good)

|

9/16/2019 5:15 AM

Stephen_Griffin wrote:

Nope, because your bike is not made out of anything even close to the same metal as an exhaust pipe. You would just weaken the welds and possibly ruin the frame. (I’ve tried it, cromoly doesn’t blu very good)

Actually...

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/exhaust-pipes-individual-bends/tubing-material/chromoly

Car exhaust is typically mild steel, but you can get chromoly steel and even stainless. Bmx bikes are high tensile steel or chromoly, unless you get into racing with Aluminum (typically 6061) or the occasional Ti.

So that said, exhaust and BMX bikes CAN be made from the same thing.

BUT the coloring of the chrome plating would likely still work in a similar way.

As to the heating of the frame and ruining the welds, you would need to go to a controlled temperature across the whole frame. If you were in a garage and just torched it, that would not be a consistent heat and could cause issues.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/16/2019 6:18 AM

Stephen_Griffin wrote:

Fantastic insight, on a five-year-old thread. Thanks a bunch.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

9/16/2019 9:40 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Lol

|

9/16/2019 3:41 PM

Dang fact checkers! Lol, anyways I said I tried it. It didn’t work. No further questions, yer honor.

|