Just a General Rant...

Related:
Create New Tag

3/5/2014 11:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2014 1:23 PM

This thought has been with me since I got into bmx, and since I started working at a dept. store. I wont say which one.... But I think we can guess mkay? Now before I get started into this Let me just officially state...

support your local bike shop whenever possible!

Now, That being said... Bike shops are great for those riders who know what they already want or need in parts, or new bikes, or gear. A place where you can get solid advice(most of the time) from experts who have most likely owned that same shop for 20 years or more. But why have they stayed their for so long? In all honesty it comes down to 3 things.

repairs; bikes that come in that need serious repairs ie, hit by a car, converting for handicap etc...
exclusives; bikes or parts that are exclusive only to local shops that cannot be found online. other shop stuff goes to this as well.
dept, stores...

Yes Dept stores keep the local bike shops open. while allot of people who buy from the dept store do hurt lbs, those arnt the people who would go to a bike shop first anyways, nor are they the people who would take the bike in to get repaired. What I mean by it is The dept. stores who buy bicycles (from many of the same manufactures as the bike shop) in huge bulk, So that the price is lower, and thus lower retail price... Their's nothing wrong with the bike(all bikes not bmx bikes only) but their just sold at a bulk store. These bicycles offered to the consumer for cheap, might not be of fantastic quality compared to the more expensive bikes at a local shop. But what they offer in exchange for quality is a Window into the world of cycling sports, road racing, mnt biking, bmx all these styles can be found at a dept store.

Lets take "Timmy" He is 8 years old, and saw the x-games or such like on tv, Hes athletic and his dad is fairly sporty. So now He wants a bike for Christmas, But not just ANY bike, he wants BMX BIKE!...so his parents go to the dept. store, because Christmas shopping, money is harder in winter blah blah blah. anyways their they have 2 choices. a children's bmx styled bike(kent, next...) OR a bmx bike from MONGOOSE, DK, SHAUN WHITE SUPPLY CO. it depends on the parents, do they get a cheap kids bike or a more expensive bmx bike. well Timmy's dad knows the name mongoose. might have heard of Dk before. so he gets Timmy a....... lets say a Mongoose mode 360, or a mongoose mode 540. Timmy doesn't care that its a mongoose on Christmas, He's excited he got what he wanted. not a bike. but a way to do what they did on the tv. and that is his window.

So, lets take an adult/teenager who wants to do this... "jeff" Jeff is 18 athletic in high school, has a part time job, no car. barrows parent's van to deliver pizza's. He wants to join his friends who ride bmx. they've been riding for awhile and have sunday's, dk's etc. but he doesnt have that much and he's unsure if he really wants to spend that much on a sport yet. What he needs is a foot in the door that wont close on his foot. in comes the dept stores. now unlike Timmy Jeff is buying this bike. He picks it. He has friends, and has sources into what makes a good bike... Chromoly frames, forks, and bars, double butted frames, etc. If you where jeff. a mongoose 540 looks great at $159.00 a mode 900 looks really tempting at $200. and dk's are just the same. which ever one he picks, He's going to get a decent bike. it's good enough for an adult to start on when he gets better, maybe has a better job, he can get a better bike, or upgrade his dept store bike. whatever. But what he needs He got from a dept. store. He got his foot in the door and now he can start riding with his friends. and in the end that's what keeps this sport alive. Kids who want to do more stuff on a bike. the dept store just sells the bike to you. but the brands are the same.... Drew Bezanson, He rides a DK, Scotty Cramner, He rides a Hyper, Steven Mccann, A mongoose. all of these brands are at a dept store, and your local bike shop. no matter where you buy it from the important thing is, that you got a bike, and you want to start this sport. and that's the important thing. so now, 10 years later. Jeff is in the x-games, He rode every single day for as long as he could. He's on a top of the line mongoose his pro design frame. but what doesn't change is the fact that his first bike was dept store bike.

So. to those who assume, "Oh wal-goose sucks... or dk is shit... or... w/e remember this. your pro's are riding those brands for a reason. more then for money, I'm sure. and the range of bikes the dept store offers is targeted at the different age groups. so when you look at dept store bikes, look at the best they have because those are the ones that are most like what the bike shops will have, what the pros ride that they'll have. and that is the best for what you wanna do. start a sport and not put all your cash into it if you don't like it after awhile.

I suppose, to sum up all of this into one nice little thing... for your first bike, Why not get a dept. store bike, do your research, and you'll be happy with what you get in the 150-200 dollar area. and that's all you really need to invest into the bike to start...

If you feel I am wrong please say so. I welcome any commentary on this, But i feel most of the riders here will agree with this.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

3/5/2014 11:40 AM

TL;DR?

|

3/5/2014 11:55 AM

^ I would buy from my lbs but he is 1. a asshole 2. doesn't sell bmx parts.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

3/5/2014 11:56 AM

none of my LBS sell BMX parts except for major brand shit like Specialized, Giant, Haro, etc. EVERYONE here rides bicycles...and by bicycles i mean $3000+ mountain bikes.

|

3/5/2014 12:49 PM

well bike shops and dept stores sells what's popular. if thats all people ride where your at, then thats what he should sell. its a business it needs to make money... bet he can still do repairs on your bike though it it was beyond you.

@mike Yeah one of my lbs has been around for forever but I hear he's kinda a dick... He does sell DK though, I might call him up and see if he has an old dk 44t sprocket laying around in the back. I think they look cool.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

3/5/2014 1:10 PM

I was with you until you tried to compare the walmart frames to what the pros are riding... The pros are riding either rebranded stuff from taiwan that is the same as other frames(federals cults along that line. ) OR they are running custom frames from SOlid or fbm or something similar. THey are not under any circumstances riding one of the frames off a walmart bike...

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

3/5/2014 1:13 PM

DeviantBMX123 wrote:

I was with you until you tried to compare the walmart frames to what the pros are riding... The pros are riding either ...more

oh dear christ no, I was just sayin that the brand their riding is mongoose. its no where near the same frame but its the brandname that gets heard and its the pros that make the name famous. which makes dad hear about it. if you follow me.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

3/5/2014 1:15 PM

I don't have a local bike shop anymore, so I support Empire... wait, I always bought from Empire. Except when I was a dick and bought from Dan's.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

3/5/2014 1:20 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

oh dear christ no, I was just sayin that the brand their riding is mongoose. its no where near the same frame but its the ...more

oh ok that makes more sense.....

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

3/5/2014 1:22 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

I don't have a local bike shop anymore, so I support Empire... wait, I always bought from Empire. Except when I was a dick and ...more

This x1000

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

3/5/2014 1:53 PM

My lbs doesnt sell bmx. Plus they are expensive as fuck.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

3/5/2014 2:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2014 2:56 PM

Photo

Here have one of my favorite gifs i have
|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

3/5/2014 3:01 PM

TheBrandonFranke wrote: Photo

WTF?

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

3/5/2014 3:15 PM

Shortdude wrote:

WTF?

Hahahah

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

3/5/2014 3:17 PM

Shortdude wrote:

WTF?

T-rider wrote:

Hahahah

He's gonna have back problems. Hopefully he rides tall bars.

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

3/5/2014 4:08 PM

tl;dr

|

3/5/2014 7:01 PM

None of my lbs sell bmx bikes, actually just one but they sell Redline race bikes with the big sprockets so yea none of them sell bmx, so I just buy from Albes cause they have the cheapest shipping to Puerto Rico

|

3/5/2014 9:08 PM

me too.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short