Just bought a Mongoose Mode 900

Related:
Create New Tag

10/26/2016 5:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/26/2016 6:06 AM

So I'm 45 and have a 4 year old learning to ride bike so I wanted a small bike to ride along with her and to tool around town-I have a one mile commute from work to home so might ride it there as well, used to ride BMX bikes when I was a kid in the 80s so thought I would pick one up. After reading a bunch of threads on here I decided on the Mongoose - new off ebay for $169 total shipped. I've been reading what I can find from reviews and it seems like I should replace the half-link chain, and swap the bottom bracket for a sealed unit. And sand the stem/handlebar contact points so they don't slip, if that doesn't work buy a new stem. Should I do these things straight from the beginning (chain, BB ), and anything else you guys would recommend? I'm 180lbs, 5'10".

I'll only be doing bunny hops on curbs, wheelies, manuals, endos, nothing crazy-don't want to break a hip haha. Thanks!

|

10/26/2016 10:39 AM

Good choice!

I recommend waiting for parts to fail first, then swapping out. If anything, however, a strong chain is never a bad idea to start off with.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn