Just bought a new fork...with brake posts.

Related:
Create New Tag

4/23/2019 10:19 PM

22" S&M pitchfork w/990 posts.

I bought them for a few reasons:

1. After my grinding stress test with the Defendant 22"

I found the dropouts to be very weak. They bent and I ended up bending them back with a vice. I dont doubt the fork would most likely hold fine but I value my future riding enough to not take the chance with the damaged fork.

2. I have made some trails near my house, they are small but really fast.

I am having to hammer the rear brake nearly the whole way in order to not ride completely out of control. I figured if I increased my potential braking power by 100%, I would have a bit more say in how fast I go.

3. I like to do footjams and front tire tricks, I think I will enjoy the extra control.

I was planning on replacing the fork anyway and it was the same price I found for the brakeless fork. Figured why not...
If they work as I think they will, they will be a lot of fun and open up some more things I can do with the bike.

If anyone is interested about how they work out for trails, I will post my findings here.

|

4/24/2019 1:15 AM

Cool stuff!

Definitely interested to see how much they increase braking power.

|

4/24/2019 4:08 AM

Would not fancy touching the front brake when riding trails, that won't end well. But a front brake will be fun at the park for nosey tricks.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

4/24/2019 7:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/24/2019 7:14 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

Would not fancy touching the front brake when riding trails, that won't end well. But a front brake will be fun at the park for nosey tricks.

First thought I had too. I'd be shit-scared that I'd grab a handful of front brakes and go arse over tit. I can image Bullet becoming a lip lord at the park though.

|

4/24/2019 7:40 AM

I had front brakes but didn't have the time or will to retrain my hand to grab em midair.

|

4/24/2019 7:55 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

Spongeworthy wrote:

First thought I had too. I'd be shit-scared that I'd grab a handful of front brakes and go arse over tit. I can image Bullet becoming a lip lord at the park though.

You do realize that MTB's have had front brakes (& better ones, at that) since their mainstream inception, right?

|

4/24/2019 7:57 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

Spongeworthy wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

You do realize that MTB's have had front brakes (& better ones, at that) since their mainstream inception, right?

Must be why I don’t own a mountain bike.

|

4/24/2019 8:27 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

My instincts tell me I should lean all the way forward and slam only the fronts.

|

4/24/2019 8:29 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

Spongeworthy wrote:

Thank you! I figured since the 22" is more of a specialized oddball setup, why not try some things that are a bit out of my comfort zone.

Cant wait till my broken ass ribs heal up so I can ride again...

|

4/25/2019 5:12 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

My instincts tell me I should lean all the way forward and slam only the fronts.

This is how people started toying with front flips....just sayin'

|

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

4/25/2019 6:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/25/2019 6:13 AM

If Bullet did a frontflip it would have to be called a ‘Tumble’.

|

4/25/2019 6:41 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

If Bullet did a frontflip it would have to be called a ‘Tumble’.

Id call it the keyhole. Lol

|

4/25/2019 9:09 AM

That’s rad, I too just bought a fork with front brake mounts

|

5/11/2019 10:37 PM

Ok...I got the fork today.

I'm not happy with how long it took to get to me. The bike store I purchased from hadn't updated their "in stock". I would have purchased from somewhere else if I had known they didnt have any. I waited a week and saw no update on the fork so I gave them a call and asked. They said they would have it drop shipped to me straight from S&M.

Anyway...

The fork is awesome! I love paying $170.00 for a fork that doesnt have a built in race, It's the best!

Odyssey has it all wrong by being milled out into the steerer tube itself, what fools.

Complaining aside, it feels great and I am loving how quickly I can come to a stop and doing stoppies without having to take a foot off is refreshing. Already learned a new trick. It's like a stoppie with a full rotation and a half of the cranks backwards while the tire is in the air. Fun little trick to add to my bag. I can also still do dominant foot footjams with no interference from the front brake cable!

I still haven't tried it in the dirt yet but I think it will really help for the area Im developing!

Ill post a pic soon, looks pretty mean!

|

5/12/2019 3:27 PM

Here she be.

Chickens not included.

|

5/12/2019 4:53 PM

Front brakes are fun. I kind of want some but also don't want spend the 300ish Canadian dollars it would cost. Maybe some day.

|

5/13/2019 4:35 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I'm not happy with how long it took to get to me. The bike store I purchased from hadn't updated their "in stock". I would have purchased from somewhere else if I had known they didnt have any. I waited a week and saw no update on the fork so I gave them a call and asked. They said they would have it drop shipped to me straight from S&M.

Anyway...

The fork is awesome! I love paying $170.00 for a fork that doesnt have a built in race, It's the best!

Odyssey has it all wrong by being milled out into the steerer tube itself, what fools.

Complaining aside, it feels great and I am loving how quickly I can come to a stop and doing stoppies without having to take a foot off is refreshing. Already learned a new trick. It's like a stoppie with a full rotation and a half of the cranks backwards while the tire is in the air. Fun little trick to add to my bag. I can also still do dominant foot footjams with no interference from the front brake cable!

I still haven't tried it in the dirt yet but I think it will really help for the area Im developing!

Are you kidding?! That fork didn't come with a built-in race?!

|

5/13/2019 6:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/13/2019 6:21 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Anyway...

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Nope...had to reuse the one that came on my stock fork. I checked all the paper the S&M fork came in. Nothing. It came with the compression bolt and that's it. Also the left brake post was welded visibly crooked but doesnt seem to cause any major issue; the other welds looked spot on (pun intended). I would have much preferred an Odyssey or Sunday fork but they only make 20" and 24" forks. I had, at one point, considered a 24" fork lol.

Anyway, I trust the S&M fork and that's all I ask of it.

|

5/13/2019 6:37 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Anyway...

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Nope...had to reuse the one that came on my stock fork. I checked all the paper the S&M fork came in. Nothing. It came with the compression bolt and that's it. Also the left brake post was welded visibly crooked but doesnt seem to cause any major issue; the other welds looked spot on (pun intended). I would have much preferred an Odyssey or Sunday fork but they only make 20" and 24" forks. I had, at one point, considered a 24" fork lol.

Wow.... that's disappointing.... even though it isn't a hindrance to function. I mean, c'mon.... no integrated bearing race on an aftermarket fork?! That's redic.

|

5/13/2019 7:26 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I'd actually prefer a fork with no integrated race; I have always found that the push on races act as a shield and keep a lot of crap from getting to the bottom bearing.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/14/2019 11:47 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

I'd actually prefer a fork with no integrated race; I have always found that the push on races act as a shield and keep a lot of crap from getting to the bottom bearing.

Thats true but I really like the simplicity of a fork with a race milled in. Plug and play.

|

5/15/2019 2:08 PM

Nice, I myself am in the market for fronts again looking at the f25's to match my r25's really had a blast when I ran front brakes, kicking myself for selling the fork though ever since.

|

5/15/2019 6:34 PM

Cellmember wrote:

Nice, I myself am in the market for fronts again looking at the f25's to match my r25's really had a blast when I ran front brakes, kicking myself for selling the fork though ever since.

I was thinking about picking up a 20" fork with brake mounts. Havent decided yet...

Gonna mess around more with the 22" before I invest into more forks with brake posts.

Here she is all ready for the dirt; thanks to pnj for the tires!

|

5/16/2019 5:55 AM

No Barspins???

|

5/16/2019 11:08 AM

AaronMellien wrote:

No Barspins???

I really have no interest in them. Too much of a high risk trick for me to learn at 32. I can do pull up bars but I have even got pretty beat up by those lol. I am interested in x-ups though. I will eventually get x-up airs and flyouts.

|

5/16/2019 11:11 AM

AaronMellien wrote:

No Barspins???

Why would a front brake stop him from bar spins if he wanted?

|

5/16/2019 12:56 PM

AaronMellien wrote:

No Barspins???

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Why would a front brake stop him from bar spins if he wanted?

I didnt go through the steerer tube. The S&M cap wouldnt allow for it since the only hole is for the allen tool.

|

5/16/2019 2:16 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

I was thinking about picking up a 20" fork with brake mounts. Havent decided yet...

Gonna mess around more with the 22" before I invest into more forks with brake posts.

funny you mention wanting 20 inch fork with mounts. I came SO CLOSE to throwing an Odyssey one in your box.

You want?

|

5/16/2019 2:41 PM

Cellmember wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

pnj wrote:

funny you mention wanting 20 inch fork with mounts. I came SO CLOSE to throwing an Odyssey one in your box.

You want?

Hmm. How much you want for it? Pics and model

|