Just saw some rust spot on my frame near the dropouts.

Related:
Create New Tag

7/17/2015 7:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2015 8:00 PM

Hi I was just taking a look at my frame I just noticed that it is two rust spot near my dropouts. I think it got there when I was washing some sticker residue off my frame yesterday maybe the water had dip down to my dropouts now it rust it isn't noticeable or no big deal. I just want to know what to do now or in the future here is my frame.Photo

|

ref-momoney brought a frame.

7/17/2015 9:12 PM

It's completely ruined you should burn it.

|

7/17/2015 10:06 PM

It's nothing.

|

7/17/2015 10:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2015 10:26 PM

Sacrifice it to the gods and light it on fire

Then go buy a new one

|

7/17/2015 10:30 PM

Your frame's gonna crack and impale you. Don't even think about riding it.

|

7/17/2015 11:07 PM

You should definitely sell that frame and get a new one.

Common sense will tell you that rusty metal is weak.

Or...

You could get an aluminum race frame.
Drop-outs won't rust.

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

7/17/2015 11:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2015 11:16 PM

Thanks for nothing asshole just need a answer on what to do it not that bad I just look on the internet used some meothed that they said to remove rust and it went away. Biggybuggy was the only one to give a good answer but you other are jerks. no I won't sell my frame I just got 2 month ago.

|

7/17/2015 11:25 PM

Talk about a low stand over!

It depends if it is cosmetic or not.

Rust that you can see is the best type of rust: you can get rid of it by sanding it down and repainting the frame.

However... Internal rust is a big killer.

You can see it sometimes when you look at your paint job: in some places, there are small streaks/bumps, like a spider leg or miniature lava: if you were to scratch that, you would find rust underneath. Rust like that can spread, but again, you can grind down the paint and re coat.

Also, the worst is the one you can find in the inside of the frame, where nobody has ever looked: this can weaken the frame without you knowing.

Cheers.

Oh, and rust is just rust.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

7/18/2015 6:57 AM

Thanks for a great answer but do i really need to sand it down again becasue the guy i brought it from already sanded it down and used i think clearcoat or some kind of spray paint. I kinda dont want to take the time to do all of that i already like a month behind on building my bike i wanted it down by june now it july it almost over i want my bike to be compete but i know if i do want you said it going to help me in long run. I have the colony hell stallion/phantom the same frame but just diffince name i guess it was first the hell stallion then now it called the phantom.

|

7/18/2015 8:32 AM

You could sand it down some more.

Rust is just a few micromilimiters thick anyways. Look at your concerned area, and run a finger over it.

If you can feel a sudden drop/a crater/a hole, about max .5 millimeters deep, then the previous guy has sanded the shit out of it. Don't go sanding, touch up the area with something like epoxy or sth, and forget about it...

His mistake was putting on the clear coat. It is not a big mystery: putting only clear coating can flake off easily.

I suggest to sand it down again, but very lightly. Barely get the rust off. Then, use a cleaning agent, some soap, or some mild acid (be VERY careful with acid), to clean the area to a nice smooth finish. Without waiting, paint it. You don't want to paint it in a go, that would be useless. The first coat has got to BARELY cover up. The second reinforces the impression of the paint, but you should still be able to see metal. Go slow, go smooth, go thin. You would want about 5 coats. You have to wait one hour (or 30 mms if you are in a hurry, or even 20mins with a fan at full blast) between each coat. The final coat ( number 6) should be a matt or gloss clear coating to enhance the look.

You definitely want to get your frame to last ALAP (as long as possible, can also be used for other... human parts XD).

Thats a bummer, being behind of the schedule... But that happens to a lot of us... The longer you wait before you hop on your finished bike, the better you will shred, and the better the bike will be.

Good luck with the painting, mate.

Cheerio.

|

7/18/2015 8:34 AM

Its near the drop outs anyway so it's just cosmetic. You could even forget about it.

If it was on the TT or the BT, I would definitely freak out.

|

7/18/2015 9:11 AM

Dude it's just surface rust. Metal oxidizes it's a part of life. Having rust on your frame will not ruin it.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

7/18/2015 11:20 AM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Dude it's just surface rust. Metal oxidizes it's a part of life. Having rust on your frame will not ruin it.

Don't lie to him it's ruined he needs to build a raft put the frame on the raft set the raft a blaze and send it out to sea

|

7/18/2015 11:41 AM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

Don't lie to him it's ruined he needs to build a raft put the frame on the raft set the raft a blaze and send it out to sea

Damn it you caught me. I was trying to fool him into thinking it was safe so he would get hurt when it snaps next time he sets foot on it.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

7/18/2015 12:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/18/2015 12:21 PM

You guys is a brunch of assholes saying dumb stuff. Only two guys give a good answer

|

7/18/2015 1:31 PM

Have you tried the "wipe it off with a dry piece of cloth" approach yet?? that usually works with superficial cosmetic rust.

Also, a photo of the actual rust spot my get you a better answer.

Yup, thats a bike frame. I've seen one of those somewhere before.

|

7/18/2015 2:47 PM

What you need to do to fix it is to fill a tub with water and salt then place your frame in there over night. Works every time.

|

7/18/2015 5:39 PM

cut the dropouts of then weld new ones on

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

7/18/2015 9:15 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

^^

|

"It's like riding someone's bike and they got the same frame" -Four
Refs:Four x4,tomdon x5,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest