Just started riding and need help with bunny hop tail whips.

Related:
Create New Tag

10/1/2019 5:09 AM

I just started riding. I’m having trouble with my hop whips. I can only hop 9 inches so I’m having problems getting my feet back on the pedals during the whip. I think buying a bike with a geometry that is similar to a scooter might help? Anyone have advice. Thanks.

|

10/1/2019 5:16 AM

Yup.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

10/1/2019 5:57 AM

Smaller bikes for sure help hop whips. Low frames and bars are the best.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

10/1/2019 10:58 AM

|

10/1/2019 2:51 PM

have you tried pushing with your arms?

|

10/2/2019 12:01 AM

Practice your hops. The higher in the air you are the more time you have to complete the rotation. It really shouldn't matter all that much what size your bike is as much as getting the rotation down.

|

Bike Check
#Merica.

10/2/2019 1:31 AM

They’re easier if you nollie instead

Sorry, nunnyhop, nollie is a skateboarding term, so it’s not allowed in bmx anymore. I forgot 🤦‍♂️

|

10/2/2019 3:50 AM

Do you have a frame bag and handlebar pad? Won’t work without them.

|

10/2/2019 10:27 AM

DIMEBAG93 wrote:

Practice your hops. The higher in the air you are the more time you have to complete the rotation. It really shouldn't matter all that much what size your bike is as much as getting the rotation down.

Can you upload a video of you doing some hop whips so I can get a better idea?

|

10/2/2019 11:05 PM

The first key to hop whips is figuring out how to kick and use your arms to spin the frame around. Once you can get your bike around to you, the next step is getting yourself comfortable with the idea of almost jumping your body in the air after the kick to get back on. That's the scariest part because it almost feels like you're gonna chest plant on your bars.

Just start out going slow, learn to kick and spin with your arms. Then practice jumping up and over your bike with your legs kinda tucked up towards your chest. Once you get that routine down getting back on the pedals becomes pretty easy.

I see you riding the waterfront ledges by dodge. You in Columbus?

|

10/2/2019 11:26 PM

.pegless. wrote:

Sorry, nunnyhop, nollie is a skateboarding term, so it’s not allowed in bmx anymore. I forgot 🤦‍♂️

I have been riding a LONG time (actually can't ride anymore due to health issues) and remember when many of the skate tricks were invented on bmx bikes. feeble, g-turn, ice pick, smith, etc..

I have always thought the word 'nollie' on a bike was silly. because you don't ollie on a bike. it should be called a nop. None of the other trick names bother me but nollie does. I have thought this for a damn long time.

|

10/3/2019 2:51 AM

.pegless. wrote:

pnj wrote:

I have been riding a LONG time (actually can't ride anymore due to health issues) and remember when many of the skate tricks were invented on bmx bikes. feeble, g-turn, ice pick, smith, etc..

I have always thought the word 'nollie' on a bike was silly. because you don't ollie on a bike. it should be called a nop. None of the other trick names bother me but nollie does. I have thought this for a damn long time.

Ice pick on a skateboard?

I get what you’re saying. But that’s just what it’s known as. I didn’t make it up. But I’ve also been riding quite a while. And used to skate. It doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Hold on while I learn half bunny hops....... and do switch crooks.....

What bothers me is tricks being claimed when they shouldn’t be. 540 cabs are a perfect example. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone do a fakie 540 on a bmx. It’s always a pivot for the first 180.

|

10/3/2019 10:35 AM

it's all just silly argument stuff for sure.

I think an ice pick on a skateboard was an 80's trick. it's probably called something else now ? or time and beer has erased my memory. and there never was a skate trick named ice pick... haha.

|

10/3/2019 12:43 PM

Buy an 18 inch frame and shin guards. You'll get it in one sesh

|

10/3/2019 6:17 PM

ESKEW77 wrote:

Buy an 18 inch frame and shin guards. You'll get it in one sesh

Update. I bought a Razor brand scooter and am landing them pretty easily now! Thanks for the tips.

|