KHE Freecoaster Problem

Related:
Create New Tag

2/7/2015 12:04 PM

My freecoaster had some wobble, because the non-drive side cone nut was loose. I fixed it, but now it seems like the drive side cone nut pinches my driver. so it doesn't spin free anymore or doesnt spin at all. Only when i keep the nut real loose the driver can spin, but then my backwheel wobbles around since it isnt attached to the frame correctly.

what can i do, so the driver spins freely again. i already took it apart 2 times and i cant find any problems.

|

Instagram: @bjoernkrg

2/7/2015 12:16 PM

try greasing it

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

2/7/2015 1:29 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

try greasing it

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

2/7/2015 1:50 PM

Khe style coaster tend to have a lil wobble unless you get it just right, dont worry about it. Mines had a slight wobble for over a year and its still coastin snooth! The drive side lock nut should be slightly tighter than finger tight

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

2/11/2015 10:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/11/2015 10:18 AM

idk if i'll help that much, but i might give you some good insight. i've had a lot of freecoasters.
take the hub completely apart. if you're having troubles, try to find a tutorial video on youtube of a khe freecoaster or freecoaster with khe internals for some guidance.
if you don't do regular maintenance on your freecoaster, unlike cassettes, it will eventually take a shit on you for good.
make sure you carefully and thoroughly look everything over. sometimes parts naturally get warped after a while.
check the axle, the driver, the clutch, bearings, everything. make sure it all looks good and that nothing looks out of the ordinary.
re-grease and oil everything as well. like the actual driver, bearing, and clutch. sometimes that makes a huge difference.
i believe i had the same problem years ago with my federal v2 that had khe internals. i use to grind a lot so i had more issues than others with freecoasters and the fact that i was rolling without a driver side nut and non-drive side nut to fit hub guards, so that only made matters worse.
i'm not exactly sure whats wrong, but maybe you should check your internal pawls and springs again. maybe it is the driver itself, but i have no clue.
i don't what else would cause that to happen? that's pretty odd that you have to loosen the driver nut in order for it to spin.
try to push a 14mm washer in between the nut and driver and let me know if it works.
my guess is you might of had it too tight, not tight enough, or something might of warped. i honestly dont know.
i mean if it's that serious of a problem and you're absolutely sure that there's nothing wrong or out of the ordinary, then maybe you should just get a new freecoaster.
hopefully i helped a little bit

|

"Ride it like you stole it."

Refs: SuperstarDK, Gage191

2/11/2015 11:51 AM

Baphometh wrote:

idk if i'll help that much, but i might give you some good insight. i've had a lot of freecoasters.
take the hub completely ...more

Thanks for the advice.
But i already took it apart and greased everything 3 times.
It all work fine until i tighten the driveside axlenut. then somehow it gets pinched and doesnt move free anymore.
So i decided to fuck it and use my cassette again.

|

Instagram: @bjoernkrg

2/11/2015 12:51 PM

Am i the only person who has never opened up my years old federal v2 and had zero issues?

|

2/11/2015 1:30 PM

Ive never had any wobble issues with any of my KHE costers, if so, it wasnt assembled properly. You may have not had your cone nuts tightened properly, from installing it on your bike, there a possibility you could of stripped a small amount of the threads in the closest area near the driver resulting in when tightening to your bike, it now squeezes ( like a bottom bracket installed with no spacer) everything internally and out.

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

2/11/2015 1:34 PM

Baphometh wrote:

take the hub completely ...more

Dont know how much I believe here with youre experience on freecoasters.

You stated " i'm not exactly sure whats wrong, but maybe you should check your internal pawls and springs again. maybe it is the driver itself, but i have no clue. "

None of that exist in a KHE or KHE style freecoaster.

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

2/11/2015 1:36 PM

The Horror Contact wrote:

Dont know how much I believe here with youre experience on freecoasters.

You stated " i'm not exactly sure whats wrong, but ...more

yeah, my fault. i had the eclat blind coaster in mind. trust me tho, i've been through multiple KHE internal hubs. dont worry just made a mistake on my behalf

|

2/11/2015 1:38 PM

Mychaylo wrote:

Am i the only person who has never opened up my years old federal v2 and had zero issues?

i had my federal v2 freecoaster for 2 years and did no maintenance to it. the clutch somehow warped and the bearing blew out after two years, so i sold it to some young ass kid. it put up with my constant abuse for 2 years straight tho. it's a really good hub. i'm sure the v3 is even better, but i don't see the difference between the v2 and v3 besides the hub shell

|

2/11/2015 1:59 PM

Difference is a thrust bearing behind the clutch giving it a smoother ride, especially with crankflips, no more external adjustment and female axle as an option.

I am a heavy grinder and it went forever, i think largely because of the angular contact bearing On the drive side, when that was implemented there was a reduction (but not removal) in drive side explosions.

|

2/11/2015 2:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/11/2015 2:14 PM

Mychaylo wrote:

Difference is a thrust bearing behind the clutch giving it a smoother ride, especially with crankflips, no more external ...more

I wasn't a fan of the external slack adjustment anyways. Yeah, I always had a weird experience doing crankflips with the V2. It just didn't seem smooth whatsoever whenever I landed.

I was a heavy grinder as well. I did some backflips here and there, attempted some flairs, and it held up decent throughout all that. As far as the drive side explosion thing goes, that can happen to any hub, but obviously some hubs are less vulnerable to it than others.

|

2/11/2015 2:41 PM

the thrust bearing reduces drag quite alot making it way better for crankflips.

Ive flipped once and never again, scariest thing Ive ever done. Landed nose heavy and barely rolled away, feel off of pedals and nearly pissed myself.

|

2/11/2015 3:16 PM

Try flipping the washer around

|

2/11/2015 7:58 PM

Mychaylo wrote:

the thrust bearing reduces drag quite alot making it way better for crankflips.

Ive flipped once and never again, scariest ...more

Try learning them without a foam pit or resi... talk about scary!

Wait, we're still talking about the V3 right? I forgot, haha.

I'm thinking about getting the Cinema FX or Federal V3 coaster this Spring, but I'm still undecided. I want the Cinema coaster mainly to have a matching hub set because I'm so fucking OCD about that kind of stuff. They're both damn near the same anyways, Federal just has had more versions of the same exact coaster with little improvements throughout the years.

(We totally took over his forum, lol)

|

2/12/2015 8:44 AM

Add a spacer behind the driver lock nut that ONLY presses on the center part of the driver bearing.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura