Keeping gumwalls clean on my tires? (armor all?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/29/2016 8:40 PM

I know this is gonna get some laughs at my expense but I don't care, I recently got a set of gum-wall Hawks and thinking back to how un-evenly my gum-wall DUO's wore out, it's got me thinking that these sidewalls would benefit from some type of 'seal', problem is that I'm utterly clueless about what product to use! I doubt oily stuff would be smart, i'm thinking something like a clear PTFE or silicone spray, or frickin' Armor-All spray*, hell maybe even melt candle wax and massage it in (giving my sidewalls a wax-job, lol!) I just don't want to destroy these awesome looking sidewalls, these are definitely the coolest tires I've ever gotten,

(*am starting to think that the auto pats store is my best location to find something perfect for this (although i've wanted a ptfe spray, and seems bicycle shops are best bet for that..), will see what's available - lol I'll just bring my bike inside and tell them what I'm doing, wish I could hear the jokes they crack when I walk out!! (srsly tho these gumwalls are *sick*))

|

11/29/2016 9:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2016 9:26 PM

You can quit being a pussy and ride the fuck out of those tires till they look black , no one gives a fuck how your bike looks(except for you) they want to ride with someone who pushes them to push it farther , the colour of your tires isn't pushing shit , you're lowering yourself to the level of pansy like your a girl asking another girl wich lipstick looks better

|

11/29/2016 9:29 PM

But if your really concerned about it use soap and water then turtle wax it , your lipstick will steal the show

|

11/29/2016 10:37 PM

eskimojay wrote:

You can quit being a pussy and ride the fuck out of those tires till they look black , no one gives a fuck how your bike ...more

bruh you've been salty as fuck lately

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

11/29/2016 10:49 PM

Haha

|

11/29/2016 11:44 PM

eskimojay wrote:

You can quit being a pussy and ride the fuck out of those tires till they look black , no one gives a fuck how your bike ...more

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

bruh you've been salty as fuck lately

I just can't take anyone who says "bruh" seriously Photo

|

11/30/2016 12:35 AM

Simple solution, I use it all the time.

1. Buy black tires.
2. Whoa.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

11/30/2016 8:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/30/2016 8:13 AM

Since nobody is giving an actual answer (unless they are joking?) I'd say just use soap, water, and a brush and just clean them every time they get dirty, or get a tire specific cleaner. You can armor-all or a tire "protectant", but be sure to get it on side walls only, as that stuff is slick as fuck if it gets anywhere on your contact patch. nothing wrong with wanting to have a clean, nice looking bike smile

If you meant wanting to keep the gum wall look on your tire, I have no clue.

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

11/30/2016 9:21 AM

Just clean em with wd-40, works best for me
But after all they are just tires and they are suposed to get dirty, you're gonna have to change them anyway in few months

|

11/30/2016 9:21 AM

I'm actually gonna be getting tan walls myself. I've always just had black. Colors were not cool at all back in the day, the mid school days, not old school. Id like to know the answer to this too. I don't think it would be a problem to use some automotive type sprays though

|

12/3/2016 10:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/3/2016 10:18 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Yes, I'm I female because of aesthetic tastes, I wish I were as macho as you, I bet you don't even glance at the closet when you grab a shirt you just grab something right? When you bought your bike and they asked you what colorway you wanted, you said 'don't care', right?

Trying to posture like you're some tough guy and I'm not, simply because of the way in which I treat my bike, is absurdly ignorant. I can only imagine you're just young (I'm definitely one of the older ones in this thread lol) and feel hardcore posting like that, but in reality everyone, or 99%, of riders giver a shit what their bike looks like.

"How it looks, if it don’t look good, you don’t feel good so you don’t ride good type of thing, when I look at my bike and I like how it looks, when I get on it I feel good, then I feel like I ride good, it’s all mental. Everything is mental. I’m fucking mental" [laughs]. (Chase Dehart)

I hardly owe you an explanation given your attitude but, fwiw, this is being done for a *single* reason, because I'm detailing and overhauling *all* my parts, as I've finally gotten the BB for a frame I'd been ready to build into a new custom, I also bought new grips for it too lol I guess that also makes me a bitch, the old ones were plenty fine!!

[edit- a letter]

|

12/3/2016 10:16 AM

owen.lox wrote:

Since nobody is giving an actual answer (unless they are joking?) I'd say just use soap, water, and a brush and just clean ...more

Thanks, I found that a combination of scrubbers (a smooth 'mr eraser' type sponge, and a stiff-bristled brush) with just water did the job enough for my tastes! Won't be doing this repeatedly though, this is more of a 1-time thing, I'm about to assemble a new custom and want it super fresh when assembled, for instance the frame is rawed and it'll be shiny AF when assembled, but I'm not spraying a clear-coat I'm just giving it an oil rub-down, to let it oxidize over time - will be cool having two totally different looks over time :D

|