Kevlar bead tires, What’s the big deal?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/2/2019 10:09 PM

I picked some odyssey path pro folding tires up today from my shop because they were on sale for the price of regular path pros and I just wanted to see the difference between these tires and the originals. Aside from being lighter, are there any big differences?

|

smile

7/2/2019 10:18 PM

You can store them more easily. Better resistance against bullet punctures.

|

7/3/2019 1:05 AM

You’ll notice it allot if you like spinning and doing flips , I find anyways , I imagine it’s the same for tailwhips aswell but i don’t got those , once you switch back to wire bead from light Kevlar you notice you gotta work harder to get stuff around , it doesn’t make a whole lot of difference you just have to send the initial snap for tricks a little harder

|

7/3/2019 5:21 AM

If you grind a lot, I have heard they don't handle it as well.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/3/2019 7:51 AM

eskimojay wrote:

You’ll notice it allot if you like spinning and doing flips , I find anyways , I imagine it’s the same for tailwhips aswell but i don’t got those , once you switch back to wire bead from light Kevlar you notice you gotta work harder to get stuff around , it doesn’t make a whole lot of difference you just have to send the initial snap for tricks a little harder

I just ran a 2.10 kevlar set for a bit before switching to some heavy ass 2.40 Odysseys and I really didn't even notice much of a difference with that whole rotational weight shit. Don't get me wrong I understand rotational weight, when I used to run brakes the difference was uncanny when you'd tap your break mid-trick. But folding tires don't really match that feeling.

And as dave said the sidewalls are very thin, if you grind stay away.

|

7/3/2019 8:00 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

That would be a casing problem; not a bead problem wink

As far as I'm aware, most tyres come with a Kevlar casing these days(AKA silkworm, etc).

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

7/3/2019 8:54 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

As far as I'm aware, most tyres come with a Kevlar casing these days(AKA silkworm, etc).

He didn't ask specifically about the beads in the original post, just differences between kevlar and non kevlar tires. wink

"I picked some odyssey path pro folding tires up today from my shop because they were on sale for the price of regular path pros and I just wanted to see the difference between these tires and the originals. Aside from being lighter, are there any big differences?"

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/3/2019 9:42 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

He didn't ask specifically about the beads in the original post, just differences between kevlar and non kevlar tires. wink

"I picked some odyssey path pro folding tires up today from my shop because they were on sale for the price of regular path pros and I just wanted to see the difference between these tires and the originals. Aside from being lighter, are there any big differences?"

Check the title. wink

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

7/3/2019 11:29 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Check the title. wink

"Kevlar bead tires, What’s the big deal?"

This title does not specifically ask about the beads themselves, it is merely used to identify the type of tire. They don't typically (to my knowledge) go by anything but Kevlar Bead or folding bead tires. One could go with folding tire, and those who know what that means would understand.

As to kevlar in the casing, my experience with tires (Haven't needed any in about 2 years) doesn't support that "most tyres" come with it. That could be a newer thing however. I know most road/MTB don't unless they have some puncture resistance.

wink

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/3/2019 12:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/3/2019 12:08 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Check the title. wink

dave lawrence wrote:

"Kevlar bead tires, What’s the big deal?"

This title does not specifically ask about the beads themselves, it is merely used to identify the type of tire. They don't typically (to my knowledge) go by anything but Kevlar Bead or folding bead tires. One could go with folding tire, and those who know what that means would understand.

As to kevlar in the casing, my experience with tires (Haven't needed any in about 2 years) doesn't support that "most tyres" come with it. That could be a newer thing however. I know most road/MTB don't unless they have some puncture resistance.

wink

It literally says "Kevlar bead tires" in the title... wassat

Kevlar casings are nothing new. I'm actually not aware of any non-kevlar-cased tyres on the market.

wink

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson