Kids at the Skatepark

Related:
Create New Tag

5/12/2017 9:42 AM

Just sharing a funny interaction yesterday. There's a small prefab park on my way home from work that I stopped to ride for a bit yesterday. I was the only one in the park until a little kid on a walmart mongoose comes in to ask me every cliche question you can think of.

"Do you know how to BMX" (while I'm clearly riding)
"What's the best trick you can do?"
"Can you flair?"
"What's the hardest trick on a BMX?"
"Can you teach me to bunnyhop?"
"Can you tailwhip?"

I'm not knocking this kid by any means. I was just a little irritated because I only have so much time to ride these days and he was relentless! But it's great to see a kid excited, and I did teach him to hop better. He was thrilled. I'm sure you guys have similar stories.

|

5/12/2017 9:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/12/2017 10:01 AM

once when I was riding street, some kid kept pestering me to let him ride my bike for at least 20 minutes, obviously I didn't let him but then he proceeded to ask me the old "can you 360?" "What frame is that?" "What bars are those?" "Why don't you have a Cult bike?" "lol you can't tailwhip?" Which turned into "your bike is too stock" "it looks like a Walmart bike" this kid was on a scooter mind you. I ended the just leaving.

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

5/12/2017 9:58 AM

GCBMX69 wrote:

once when I was riding street, some kid kept pestering me to let him ride my bike for at least 20 minutes, obviously I didn't let him but then he proceeded to ask me the old "can you 360?" "What frame is that?" "What bars are those?" "Why don't you have a Cult bike?" "lol you can't tailwhip?" Which turned into "your bike is too stock" "it looks like a Walmart bike" this kid was on a scooter mind you. I ended the just leaving.

This is what youtube has done to us! haha too funny.

|

5/12/2017 9:58 AM

I get a lot of the same thign as well...the most common being "Can you flair?" As you said, if they are real young I just answer honestly, and don't mind showing them the fundamentals...passing down the craft. It is the tweens and snotty/dirty "Youtubers" that drive me nuts:

"Hey, can you video us/me?"
"Are you done yet? We wanna video"
"Got a cigarrette?"

They are generally just scooter kids with bikes. Getting in the way of all of the lines; hogging certain areas to shoot theor lame-ass videos. They always talk/act like a bunch of fake-ass thugs even tho mom just dropped them off in the mini van. I hate that too. Get a life and some respect for yourself.

And NONE of then are doing any kind of real trickery..."stand still" bar spins; sloppy hops; launching their bikes off of pipes or pyramids without actually riding them, and then saying "Dude, look at that tailwhip!!!"...not that I am Scotty Cranmer, but I at least am trying to build technique etc...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

5/12/2017 10:04 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

I get a lot of the same thign as well...the most common being "Can you flair?" As you said, if they are real young I just answer honestly, and don't mind showing them the fundamentals...passing down the craft. It is the tweens and snotty/dirty "Youtubers" that drive me nuts:

"Got a cigarrette?"

They are generally just scooter kids with bikes. Getting in the way of all of the lines; hogging certain areas to shoot theor lame-ass videos. They always talk/act like a bunch of fake-ass thugs even tho mom just dropped them off in the mini van. I hate that too. Get a life and some respect for yourself.

And NONE of then are doing any kind of real trickery..."stand still" bar spins; sloppy hops; launching their bikes off of pipes or pyramids without actually riding them, and then saying "Dude, look at that tailwhip!!!"...not that I am Scotty Cranmer, but I at least am trying to build technique etc...

I'm all about fundamentals. I usually get asked "How do you jump so high?" It's hard to answer that because it's all second nature to me now. I'm not much of a trick guy. I just like going fast and airing high. I'm trying to learn more technical things now though. I think kids don't have the patience and discipline to learn the basics and build off that. They'd rather just mimic what they see online now.

|

5/12/2017 11:40 AM

This is why I ride flatland alone. I hate being bothered while riding. My riding time is extremely limited, so i don't want to spend that time talking to a kid (unless his mom is hot)

|

It’s all bmx

5/12/2017 2:07 PM

It's mostly little kids on Razors and their Walmart bikes and what not. And everybody's alway like, "Can I ride your bike?" And I'm just like whistling I always hate people asking me that.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/12/2017 2:50 PM

beat up their parents. then tell the kid they got beat up because of you.

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

5/12/2017 2:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/12/2017 2:59 PM

Haha, my main motive to learning backflips is so I can finally respond "yes" once and for all. I just need a good place to attempt and learn them.

I guess it's just the iconic tricks that kids (and adults alike, at times) are exposed to. The backflip, the 360, the "normal" tricks.

If I'm on the BMX, it's always either backflip or tailwhip. If I'm on my scoot, it's always, ALWAYS, "can you tailwhip?"

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

5/12/2017 4:18 PM

Solution = Headphones

|

5/12/2017 4:27 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

"Got a cigarrette?"

I talk like a "fake ass thug" and DRIVE MY OWN MINIVAN to the park :D

not really haha. The van part is legit, vans rule.

But yea, kids ask about tricks and riding my bike. I tell them honestly about the tricks-usually "Back in the day I could, but I have 18+ years on a bike so I slowed down-can't get hurt and be out of work".

No on riding my bike unless they are someone I know and trust with it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/12/2017 4:46 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Haha, my main motive to learning backflips is so I can finally respond "yes" once and for all. I just need a good place to attempt and learn them.

I guess it's just the iconic tricks that kids (and adults alike, at times) are exposed to. The backflip, the 360, the "normal" tricks.

If I'm on the BMX, it's always either backflip or tailwhip. If I'm on my scoot, it's always, ALWAYS, "can you tailwhip?"

I watched Tom Haugen tell kids at a park that flips were impossible when they asked him if he could-the kids responded with "I saw it on xgames" so he said it was all smoke and mirrors.

As he said that, Luke Hastay rolled in and flipped the box at that park. The kids looked at Tom all confused.

It was awesome.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/12/2017 5:58 PM

I tell them anything they want to know because they're the future of the sport.

|

5/12/2017 7:34 PM

try rapid firing at them about homework and schoolwork. Theyll keep away from you.

"Did you do your homework? What homework do you have tell me. Im not gonna talk about BMX until you tell me what you learned in school."

And just keep talking about homework and schoolwork. Thats the last things kids at a skatepark wanna be around is a person who talks about school and homework.

|

5/12/2017 7:36 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Try living from 2000 till 2011 having jocks and kooks yelling from their vehicle "do a kickflip" shit it still happens.

|

5/12/2017 7:37 PM

thairishguy wrote:

try rapid firing at them about homework and schoolwork. Theyll keep away from you.

"Did you do your homework? What homework do you have tell me. Im not gonna talk about BMX until you tell me what you learned in school."

And just keep talking about homework and schoolwork. Thats the last things kids at a skatepark wanna be around is a person who talks about school and homework.

LOL, this totally!!!laughing

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/12/2017 8:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/12/2017 8:24 PM

I always get kids asking me if I'm pro or I can backflip , not pro, bmx is what I do to love and there's not much money in it to pay the bills , finally got backflips dialed on an airbag place I've been training at can't wait to start flipping to real jumps here soon

|

5/12/2017 8:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/12/2017 8:52 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Haha, my buddy said that was one of the reasons he learned tailwhips

I've actually been with him a couple times when it's happened, some kid (generally a scooter kid) will ask "can you tailwhip?"

He doesn't say anything to them, just drops in and pumps around, then does a tailwhip flyout and impresses the shit out of the little kid. I always laugh my ass off

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

5/14/2017 9:30 AM

Its a little different in england, I dont ride skateparks because they are packed full of scooter. And any other slightly younger british people like me might notice the roadmen with mountain bike trend, where they think they have a good bike so they take it to some begginner public trails and go round asking people how to jump or do "skills".

|

Trails not Rails

Trails YT Channel

5/15/2017 9:39 AM

thairishguy wrote:

this lmao

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

5/15/2017 2:33 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

But yea, kids ask about tricks and riding my bike. I tell them honestly about the tricks-usually "Back in the day I could, but I have 18+ years on a bike so I slowed down-can't get hurt and be out of work".

dude, I had a Dodge Grand Caravan for 17 years. My band toured the US in it; my bikes rode in it; 217000 miles when it finally gave out...

Photo

it was nicknamed The Silver Bullet. I miss that thing dearly but 9mpg and consistent expensive engine problems sealed its fate

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

5/19/2017 2:44 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

dude, I had a Dodge Grand Caravan for 17 years. My band toured the US in it; my bikes rode in it; 217000 miles when it finally gave out...

Photo

it was nicknamed The Silver Bullet. I miss that thing dearly but 9mpg and consistent expensive engine problems sealed its fate

Some nice stickers there man

|

5/19/2017 10:16 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

sXeBMXer wrote:

Photo

skitter77 wrote:

Some nice stickers there man

thanks! Gotta represent the punx, the metalz and the nerdz

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

5/20/2017 1:10 AM

"Can you backflip?"

The question I get asked almost everytime theres kids around.

|

Smoke Drink Die

5/20/2017 2:40 AM

I'm not a huge fan of the pre teen scooter kids that are oblivious to everything around them. But I really enjoy seeing properly young kids at the skatepark, no matter what they're on. They're having fun and that's what it's about. One of the most fun sessions I ever had was riding with a 6 year old who was probably better than me!
I'd rather ride street anyway, so it's always a good reason to leave the skatepark

|

5/20/2017 7:46 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of the pre teen scooter kids that are oblivious to everything around them.

This is why I dawn patrol!

grumpySteve wrote:

But I really enjoy seeing properly young kids at the skatepark, no matter what they're on.

But this too.
|

5/20/2017 8:31 AM

GMGuinn wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of the pre teen scooter kids that are oblivious to everything around them.

grumpySteve wrote:

But I really enjoy seeing properly young kids at the skatepark, no matter what they're on.

But this too.

100% for the dawn patrol. I pretty much don't bother on a weekend after about 8:30am... our parks just become a sea of little kids on scooters.

|

5/22/2017 6:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/22/2017 6:11 AM

GMGuinn wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

But this too.

skitter77 wrote:

100% for the dawn patrol. I pretty much don't bother on a weekend after about 8:30am... our parks just become a sea of little kids on scooters.

Yeah. Timing is definitely helpful. For me, it is any Sunday between 7am and noon. The parks are desolate except for the 1 or 2 other older guys who ride. Everyone else is either at church or sleeping off the Saturday night festivities if they are older. Us "Park Heathens" worship at the alter of BMX every Sunday morning...

but after noon, it becomes a sea of bodies at many of the parks. that's when I hit the mountain bike trails

I also ride more in the winter. People are extremely wussy about it being cold...like 60 degrees being "cold"....really? I would rather ride in -20degrees than anything over 70 anyways. The only good thing about summer riding are the hot moms of all the scooter kids who sit on the benches and read or sun themselves....

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

5/22/2017 7:18 AM

I help out the little kids with things they're trying to learn, but the others I just ignore and do my thing. If they ask me if I know how to do this or that I just flat out say no

|