Kink Williams discussion w/ photos

Related:
Create New Tag

3/3/2020 4:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2020 4:09 PM

Normally the standard for back spacing is one 3mm thick washer. I’ve been required to use two 3mm thick washers that’s double the standard back spacing still only leaving me maybe 30 thousandths of an inch between sprocket tooth and chainstay wishbone. Using odyssey thunderbolts with a 28t la guardia press fitted to the crank arm, the sprocket does not require a tophat washer. I’m hoping the second washer is making up for the slack of where the top hat washer would normally fill in.

I don’t yet have my back wheel to verify chain alignment. I hope it’s not going to be a problem. Cause I need 28/9 gearing, I can’t stand 25/9 and hear all bad shit about 8t drivers. Otherwise I’d just run 25/8

|

3/3/2020 5:38 PM

I usually run 28t and get my wheel to 13.1”, I got this frame and thinked I could ride it like that.
But the dropouts are dumb short, 13.0” is the max lenght or your wheel just fall off (yes the slammed lenght is 12.75”, so only 0.25” of “adjustment”)
So I’m forced to run 25t to get my wheel where I need to be, luckily I got a 27t which gets my wheel to the same place (13.0”) but good luck to find one.
Also chainstays are dumb wide and made to fit a 2.7” tyre slammed, this frame is definitely designed for 25x9.
If you wish to ride 28x9, be prepared to have a dumb short chainstays ~12.8 and also a weird chainline.
I usually never use the BB washers on the sprocket side, just a small 1mm ring washer added to the hat washer from the sprocket to keep a good chainline, but one this frame you’ll need way more than that. and on the other side I use the small washer, never the big one, to balance it out (and also because those washers were a perfect fit for thinner BB’s which no one uses anymore, now if I use those, the crank is barely on the axle....)

|

3/3/2020 6:35 PM

I just put a 30T sprocket on my V1 Tall Boy using 3mm of spacers on the drive side (using Thunderbolts as well).

Barely cleared my CS by about 1mm... lol

|

3/3/2020 8:15 PM

Um I have a 28t on my William's check my bike check it runs fine with the 3mm spacer.

|

I believe in hub guard protection

3/3/2020 9:04 PM

threesomemist wrote:

Um I have a 28t on my William's check my bike check it runs fine with the 3mm spacer.

I have a friend that rides 28t on a Williams no issue, did they change it up for 2020?

Btw this is funny cause y’all wanna hate on my threads about slamming the rear end and how riding a slammed rear ends not being necessary when they obviously are!

these frame companies should get their heads out of their asses for real! Don’t fuckin advertise a frame talking about its 13.25 for example but by the time you get the piece of shit together your sitting at 13.5 like what was the point in buying this garbage?

They really need to start doing the math and making these frame right and by right having a set gear ratio for that specific frame line with what ever chain type full, full with a half or just half link, i think this would work great for the signature frames and then have like some cheaper dumb fuck style frames for vital users that have say 12.5-14.5 drop out slots lmfao!

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

3/4/2020 12:06 AM

In these photos you can see I’m backspaced with two 3mm washers. Granted there is no top hat washer since odyssey made the La guardia have the ability to press fit on to the thunderbolt crank arm. You can see how close the teeth of the sprocket come to the chainstay. You can also see the decent gap between the pedal bosses and the chainstay. My concern is only that I will have bad chain alignment, that the sprocket will be pushed to far outward. Also running this cone washer on the non drive side causes a bit of overhang common to the crank arm and the end of the spindle. But if I don’t run it, the gap between pedal bosses are very loo sided. Hmmm. We will see when my wheel arrives. I mean, this is how odyssey designed everything to be ran so it must be okay.

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

3/10/2020 6:33 PM

I ride a 28t mds on mine with no issues at all and can confirm they have not changed the frame at all. I would suggest a top hat washer and just the sprocket adapter that's how i run mine and it has never hit the frame. If pics would help let me know.

|

3/10/2020 9:50 PM

Photo

The alignment seems to be only slightly off and will probably have no drawbacks or create added stress to the common parts.
|

3/10/2020 9:51 PM

threesomemist wrote:

I ride a 28t mds on mine with no issues at all and can confirm they have not changed the frame at all. I would suggest a top hat washer and just the sprocket adapter that's how i run mine and it has never hit the frame. If pics would help let me know.

There are ample pics above.

|

3/10/2020 10:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2020 10:20 PM

You sound like a vegan coffee loving hipster , mad that subway had meatless meatballs but no vegan cheese , be a man get some beef and bacon and get a frame that fits a 30 tooth

|

3/11/2020 9:05 AM

cool tires.

Out of curiosity, I'm trying to wrap my head around how changing the position of a tire in the rear drop outs affects clearance of the sprocket...….. I'm a newb, so I'm trying to learn...…..

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

3/11/2020 9:45 PM

eskimojay wrote:

You sound like a vegan coffee loving hipster , mad that subway had meatless meatballs but no vegan cheese , be a man get some beef and bacon and get a frame that fits a 30 tooth

Yeah, the issue with my sprocket clearance couldn’t of been recognized until the assembly began. I’m $300+ in on this frame, I’m not just going to run from my problems in this build. How you gonna suggest that like it’s the MANLY way, that alone sounds more like some vegan hipster shit than me trying to resolve a minor roadblock in this build. Which I may add, has been successfully overcome, wrapped in motherfuckin bacon stuffed bacon stuffed inside a block of cheese breaded in bacon bits. I got my back wheel in the mail and after mounting it up and setting the chain I have concluded that everything is within tolerance and good to go.

P.S. Coffee is fuckin LIFE,

|

3/11/2020 9:48 PM

|

3/11/2020 10:02 PM

Coffee might not be life, but it makes life possible for me yo...

Awesome you got it worked out! 👍

|

3/11/2020 11:40 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

cool tires.

Out of curiosity, I'm trying to wrap my head around how changing the position of a tire in the rear drop outs affects clearance of the sprocket...….. I'm a newb, so I'm trying to learn...…..

I was making sure my sprocket and driver were not excessively offset from one another.

|

3/12/2020 12:10 AM

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
|

3/12/2020 8:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/12/2020 8:58 AM

That looks great!!!!!!

It will be interesting to see if it rubs when you land or something like that. From flexing. Looks fantastic!!!!! Cool truck!!!! 70 ish Chevy eh?

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

3/12/2020 2:37 PM

Chainline is looking good. Nice job on the build, man!

|

3/12/2020 4:32 PM

28/9 with a shadow halflink chain did require me to pull my wheel back putting the axle half way back in the dropout. The aft end of the washer that goes with the axle bolt actually protrudes past the end of my dropout. This actually may benefit the dropout from getting pinched over time with grinds.

I still plan on finding some sort of chain that will allow me to stay slammed on the dropout while maintaining decent chain tension. I bet an 8t driver would bring it all together how I want. But all I ever hear is negative shit about 8t drivers. And idk if there is one comparable with the odyssey clutch v2.

Maybe a standard chain with an added halflink or two?

It’s not a priority. It’s just something I would like to achieve without changing out from a 28t sprocket and without increasing teeth on the driver.

|

3/12/2020 4:33 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

That looks great!!!!!!

It will be interesting to see if it rubs when you land or something like that. From flexing. Looks fantastic!!!!! Cool truck!!!! 70 ish Chevy eh?

I honestly just found the truck parked on a side road when I was riding street and knew it would make for a good photo.

|

3/12/2020 4:34 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

Chainline is looking good. Nice job on the build, man!

Chain line seems good. No creaking. 👍🏼👍🏼

|

3/12/2020 7:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/12/2020 7:14 PM

SchrammBamm wrote:

28/9 with a shadow halflink chain did require me to pull my wheel back putting the axle half way back in the dropout. The aft end of the washer that goes with the axle bolt actually protrudes past the end of my dropout. This actually may benefit the dropout from getting pinched over time with grinds.

I still plan on finding some sort of chain that will allow me to stay slammed on the dropout while maintaining decent chain tension. I bet an 8t driver would bring it all together how I want. But all I ever hear is negative shit about 8t drivers. And idk if there is one comparable with the odyssey clutch v2.

It’s not a priority. It’s just something I would like to achieve without changing out from a 28t sprocket and without increasing teeth on the driver.

28/9 would have a "theoretical" chain stay of 12.875", so your axle is in the correct location. Also, adding a half link to a full link chain would yield the same measurement as using a complete half link chain. With that said, two half links equal a full link, so you only need to add one when using a full link chain.

Adding, or removing a tooth from your sprocket, or driver would be the only way to "theoretically" get to 12.75".

Also, my axle is currently sitting in my dropout identically to yours, so I wouldn't stress over it unless you want the shortest CS possible.

|

3/12/2020 11:31 PM

SchrammBamm wrote:

Bryan91 wrote:

28/9 would have a "theoretical" chain stay of 12.875", so your axle is in the correct location. Also, adding a half link to a full link chain would yield the same measurement as using a complete half link chain. With that said, two half links equal a full link, so you only need to add one when using a full link chain.

Adding, or removing a tooth from your sprocket, or driver would be the only way to "theoretically" get to 12.75".

Also, my axle is currently sitting in my dropout identically to yours, so I wouldn't stress over it unless you want the shortest CS possible.

It’s more so about never having to worry about my wheel alignment being off

|

3/13/2020 12:21 AM

That is a benefit, but realistically if you tighten your wheel properly it's a non-issue.

|

3/13/2020 8:23 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

That looks great!!!!!!

SchrammBamm wrote:

I honestly just found the truck parked on a side road when I was riding street and knew it would make for a good photo.

You were correct. smile

|

3/13/2020 10:21 AM

Yours looks close to mine but here is my clearance on 28t Photo

|

3/13/2020 6:56 PM

threesomemist wrote:

How’s your chain alignment.

|

3/14/2020 4:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/14/2020 4:24 PM

threesomemist wrote:

SchrammBamm wrote:

Pretty spot on that's with just a 3mm spacer. I wonder if the la guardia is that much different then the mds with where the teeth are spaced?

|

3/15/2020 12:07 AM

threesomemist wrote:

SchrammBamm wrote:

threesomemist wrote:

Pretty spot on that's with just a 3mm spacer. I wonder if the la guardia is that much different then the mds with where the teeth are spaced?

It’s gotta be, cause everything visually screamed out “bad chain alignment” but it all buttoned up noicely

|

3/15/2020 12:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/17/2020 12:35 AM

I stepped down from a 53mm kink high rise in black to 48mm high rise in black galaxy speckle, I chopped my steer tube ¼ inch eliminating the use of spacers, and took an overall ½” off my bar ends.

Everything went from feeling dialed to straight perfection. 👌🏼 And yes that’s my kink leaned up on a stripper pole.

Photo
Photo

|