Know what sucks?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/3/2012 6:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2012 6:42 PM

Getting old, and fear of injury. I sure wish I didn't have a 20 year break from riding bmx bikes. Anyone else here over 30? If so how do you progress in your riding. Do you just say fuck it and try new things? That's what I used to do, but now if I'm hurt, I miss work, and my family suffers.

|

Better to remain silent, and appear a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

3/3/2012 6:36 PM

The ground seems to be harder now for some reason.

|

Mostly peaceful posting on vital.

3/3/2012 6:42 PM

bloghogs wrote:

The ground seems to be harder now for some reason.

Yes, AND the human body takes much longer to recover. Lol.

|

3/3/2012 7:25 PM

Brian.. I feel your pain. I'm 42 now and suffered a really bad injury almost 5 years ago that pretty much ended my involvement with bikes up until now. I rode flatland/ramps up until around '91 then got into trials. Took a break from that in 2002 to focus on running my business and other hobbies but decided I couldn't stay away and in 2007 grabbed my trials bike again. I could tell my timing and balance weren't what they used to be and my stamina was terrible but I pressed on. After about a month back I was doing a demo with some friends and had a minor fall with major consequences. I was on a 2x10 supported by two saw horses and did a simple from wheel 180 and was leaning a bit upon landing. To recover, I tried to hop down but didn't have the right momentum to pull it off so I bailed.... small fall to the ground from a trick I had done more times that I could count. What I had not expected is that my leg was stiff and the impact would shatter my tibial plateau. 3 months off my leg, 10 screws, 2 plates, and I'm lucky to walk without a limp these days. Sorry for the backstory but it does have a point...

Recently, I got the itch again to be on a bike and this time went for a freestyle and started hitting up a local skatepark. Injuries and their consequences are never far from my mind and common sense now dictates my level of risk. What did surprise me is that I was having a blast without having to go big or try something crazy. While I'm always afraid of getting hurt, I'm not letting that fear shake my confidence as I continue to get acclimated to being back on a bike again. I can easily ride within my current limitations without feeling like I have to do better and focus on the rider I am now rather that the rider I once was. With that in mind there's no pressure for me to do anything but enjoy myself.

And I agree... the ground got much harder over the past two decades for some reason...

|

3/3/2012 7:54 PM

Thanks Bentley. That's really the key, right? Understanding your limits and having fun. The occasional fall is expected, but riding within your limits helps to keep those falls at a minimum. That being said,I might go hit up the local p ark tomorrow morning.

|

3/3/2012 9:48 PM

Go for it Brian! Just relax, ride, and enjoy yourself. How long have you been back on a bike since the 20 year hiatus?

As far as falls go... the first thing I did when I got a bike was head straight for the park, rolled into a wooden bowl, and crashed right on my bad knee! "And for my first trick in 5 years..." SLAM! I laughed about it the rest of the night but did manage to ride another 3 hours without incident.

|

3/4/2012 6:39 AM

bentley wrote:

Go for it Brian! Just relax, ride, and enjoy yourself. How long have you been back on a bike since the 20 year hiatus?

As far as falls go... the first thing I did when I got a bike was head straight for the park, rolled into a wooden bowl, and crashed right on my bad knee! "And for my first trick in 5 years..." SLAM! I laughed about it the rest of the night but did manage to ride another 3 hours without incident.

I've only been riding a couple of months, and not nearly as much as I'd like to for a few reasons...it's winter in Montana..lol, and I have a wife and 2 y/o that don't allow it much.

I've been to the park a couple times, and all I've really done is carve a bit in the bowls, but it is pretty fun still.

|

3/4/2012 1:39 PM

My friend used to ride with his moms boyfriend he was like 29. He hurt his knee doing this huge rail and quit 2 weeks later.

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

3/4/2012 1:56 PM

Spenlard wrote:

My friend used to ride with his moms boyfriend he was like 29. He hurt his knee doing this huge rail and quit 2 weeks later.

idk why but that made me lol at him quiting 2 weeks later

|

Startin a new team of BMX lesbians called Bikes N Dykes

3/4/2012 2:01 PM

Spenlard wrote:

Mr.Buck Nasty wrote:

idk why but that made me lol at him quiting 2 weeks later

Lol he messed it up really bad I guess.

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert