Laced my first wheel! And made it un-even...

Related:
Create New Tag

6/2/2017 4:37 PM

So I laced my first wheel super late at night. Well, early actually. At 1 in the morning. Didn't have anything better to do so I pulled up a YouTube video.

So what exactly did I do wrong? The spokes cross at different lengths on each side. On one side they cross about 1 inch above the hub flange, and on the other side the spokes cross about 2 inches above the hub flange. I used a 3 cross lacing pattern. Drop input bellow.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

6/2/2017 5:32 PM

You went to the wrong holes for some of them. Some of the spokes on the right side of the hub go to the left side of the rim (which would be fine if it's cross laced) but some of the spokes on the right side of the hub also go to the right side of the rim. both sides of the hubshell should go to the same side of the rim (IE: spokes on the right side of the hub go to just the left or just the right, not both)

|

6/2/2017 6:57 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

You went to the wrong holes for some of them. Some of the spokes on the right side of the hub go to the left side of the rim ...more

That's what my friend noticed haha. When I've got time to mess around with it I will, I'll just swap spoke places.

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

6/4/2017 8:18 PM

Fixed it! All the spokes are in the correct order, on the correct side, and over lapping correctly. Photo

Photo

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

6/5/2017 12:00 AM

Bonus points for the valve hole being in the right place. But, can you see the logo on your hub through the valve hole? wink

Got job buddy. The first few times are confusing as hell

|

6/5/2017 8:37 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Bonus points for the valve hole being in the right place. But, can you see the logo on your hub through the valve hole? wink

Got ...more

Thank you Steve! Unfortunately, the hub is a stock cassette hub off of my friends fit aitken so there is no logo.

And as for the valve hole, I'm guessing you say that because the spokes aren't laced across it?

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

6/5/2017 9:52 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Thank you Steve! Unfortunately, the hub is a stock cassette hub off of my friends fit aitken so there is no logo.

And as for ...more

It's a little thing that's seen as one of the marks of a good wheel. It means that the builder paid careful attention to every little detail.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

6/5/2017 10:49 PM

Good job.
I still remember my first... never start with a 48 spoke wheel, cross laced.
It gets easier every time.

|

HardBMX_Tim wrote: I welded a peg to my pedal so I could do pedal grinds. I would rather wear a teletubbies speedo than a shirt with the word "Bitches" on it, or even worse, "Swag".

6/6/2017 1:15 PM

Nice job. I got the valve hole in the wrong place on both wheels I'm currently riding.

|

6/15/2017 8:10 AM

Why didn't you take it to a bike shop someone with more experience could of help you

|

6/15/2017 8:45 AM

kylesimmis12 wrote:

Why didn't you take it to a bike shop someone with more experience could of help you

Because I didn't feel like spending a shit ton of money on something I could do myself. My local shops charge around $80 to $100 to lace a wheel. It's a total rip off, especially when I could do it my self! Or pay a very experienced buddy of mine $20 to lace and true it...

But I spent $0 because I did it myself.

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

6/15/2017 11:03 AM

kylesimmis12 wrote:

Why didn't you take it to a bike shop someone with more experience could of help you

Because you don't learn how by doing that.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/15/2017 8:44 PM

kylesimmis12 wrote:

Why didn't you take it to a bike shop someone with more experience could of help you

dave lawrence wrote:

Because you don't learn how by doing that.

Exactly.

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

6/16/2017 1:52 AM

Lacing rims is an art, I wish I could get a job at a bike shop so I could practice lacing rims all day long.

|