Large frame recommendations for a 6'4 beginner??

Related:
Create New Tag

3/29/2020 9:35 PM

Hey everyone! So I've been stalking the forums for a while now but finally made an account so I could ask about frame suggestions. I've been a mountain biker since youth but I've always loved bmx everytime I rode and absolutely love pump tracks and dual slalom racing. Im looking to buy/build a entry level bike. Nothing crazy. Wondering what suggestions you guys have on good 21"+ frames? Im just under 6'4 but I have disproportionately long arms so I'm looking at a minimum of 21" frame. Price range is sub-300 usd.

|

3/29/2020 9:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/29/2020 9:53 PM

That's going to be a tough order to fill at that price (assuming you are looking for a complete). Especially when looking for a frame in a size you are looking for. Either way, you are definitely looking at used for a bike at that size and budget. That said, I have been debating about unloading an S&M Tallboy I have. It's a 21.5" frame and would be a size to are looking for. If interested, let me know. Maybe we can figure something out. If so, you could probably scrounge up parts from a cheaper complete and build a bike that way.

|

3/29/2020 10:00 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

That's going to be a tough order to fill at that price (assuming you are looking for a complete). Especially when looking for ...more

Potentially interested. Also looking rn at a kink titan II. they have it on sale for 233bucks. It seems like a pretty solid frame and thats a good price. Curious how much a full build would cost me though.

|

3/29/2020 10:20 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

That's going to be a tough order to fill at that price (assuming you are looking for a complete). Especially when looking for ...more

Mountain_biker wrote:

Potentially interested. Also looking rn at a kink titan II. they have it on sale for 233bucks. It seems like a pretty solid ...more

Depends on what sorts of parts you want. I recently did a (very) quick search if what it would cost to build a "discount" custom using all new parts. Most parts were from Albe's & w/a few others I found cheaper elsewhere. Overall, with everything, it would have totaled up to be just short of around $750. Keep in mind, that did not include the end parts. No profile or Odyssey cranks, etc...

|

3/30/2020 3:03 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Mountain_biker wrote:

Potentially interested. Also looking rn at a kink titan II. they have it on sale for 233bucks. It seems like a pretty solid ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Depends on what sorts of parts you want. I recently did a (very) quick search if what it would cost to build a "discount" ...more

Yeah that's what I was seeing as well. I've built a mountain bike before for way cheaper than it should have been just by spending a month searching pinkbike and ebay for good used parts. Probably what I'm going to do here. I was thinking more around 250 just for the frame no not the entire bike.

|

3/30/2020 4:08 AM

Mountain_biker wrote:

Hey everyone! So I've been stalking the forums for a while now but finally made an account so I could ask about frame ...more

I sawa bsd raider 21.6 on ebay
Bsd safari is my suggestion though im sure you could get one around 300

|

3/30/2020 9:31 AM

Well, let me know if you are interested. No pressure or anything. I have been going back and forth about selling it anyway. It's trans gold. No dents, no abuse. I'd let it go for a deal if we decided to do something on it.

|

3/30/2020 12:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2020 3:37 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Well, let me know if you are interested. No pressure or anything. I have been going back and forth about selling it anyway. ...more

|

4/2/2020 9:40 AM

21.25 and 11" bars

|

4/4/2020 12:24 AM

Mountain_biker wrote:

Hey everyone! So I've been stalking the forums for a while now but finally made an account so I could ask about frame ...more

|

4/4/2020 12:32 AM

Mountain_biker wrote:

GT interceptor pro xxl is 21.5”

2013 GT Interceptor Pro
Overview...
Designed for BMX racing, dirt jumping, and street - you don't hear that much anymore
Released in late 2012 (approx.) and sold throughout 2013
Offered classic BMX styling with the all important combination of light and strong
Made for the guy who wants one bike that can handle every kind of BMX riding he does - a 'utility' bike
Intended to compete (marketwise) with the S&M Speedwagon and Standard 125R race frames
Similar design to the original GT Interceptor form the 1980's
Compatible with wheels that have either 3/8" or 15mm axles
Note that the similar looking GT freestyle frames have 14mm tall axle slots - the slot was oversized so you can run 15mm race hubs
Available in four (4) sizes
Sold as a frame only
For testing purposes, two prototypes were made (they were painted blue) - real-world testing by Jason Halverson and Remo Dyson
Note that the 2014 GT Interceptor Pro frames came in white
Details...
Sizes: Pro, Pro XL, Pro XXL, Pro 24"
Material: 100% Cr-Mo
Tubing: full 4130 chromoly race butted tubing
Color: gray (similar to matte black) w/ black decals
Head tube: Integrated 45°/45° Campy spec (for 1-1/8" oversized clamp-on stems and 1-1/8" threadless forks with a 45° bearing race), hourglass shape
Gussets: internal down tube gusset - for a clean look
Top tube: butted tubing - double butted (?)
Cable guides: two zip-tie style guides near the bottom of the top tube
Down tube: oversized, butted tubing - double butted (?)
Bottom bracket: Euro bottom bracket shell (for cranks with Euro bearings)
Seat tube: externally butted w/ GT logo
Seat post clamp: integrated seatpost collar
Seat post size: 27.2mm (outside diameter)
Brake mounts: V-brake mounts (for linear pull V-brakes), located on seat stays
Chain stays: ovalized and tapered
Dropouts: 3D styling, 15mm tall axle slot with 3/8" hat washer adaptors
3/8" hat washer adaptors: machined out of aluminum
Chain tensioners: built-in chain tensioners - adjustable with an Allen wrench

Geometry...
Acronyms: TT = top tube; HA = head tube angle; CS = chain stay length; SA = seat tube angle; SO = stand over height; WB = wheel base

Pro: 20.5" TT, 74° HA, 14.5" CS, 72° SA, 22" SO, 37" WB

Pro XL: 21" TT, 74° HA, 14.5" CS, 72° SA, 22.5" SO, 37.75" WB

Pro XXL: 21.5" TT, 74° HA, 15" CS, 72° SA, 22.5" SO, 38.75" WB

Pro 24": 21.75" TT, 73° HA, 15.25" CS, 70° SA, 25" SO, 39" WB
Other...

Weight: 4 lbs. approx. (Pro XXL), 4.5 lbs approx. (cruiser)

Photo

|

4/5/2020 3:41 PM

Mountain_biker wrote:

So just to update the post for any other tall guys potentially looking for the same advice, I ended up getting a stupid good deal on a custom fit from a buddy of mine. Frame is a 20.75 and honestly it's totally rideable for now. I must say though that when hitting bigger lines especially off camber stuff, it's a bit hard to get your body over the right spot on the bike. So jumping and riding anything technical gets sketchy especially on jumps. But flat ground I gotta say a 27.5 with 10" bars is completely rideable though not ideal. Also thank you everyone for the great frame suggestions I will definitely still be looking into those when I get some more money in the future.

|