Learning on freecoaster/Bike check

Related:
Create New Tag

4/24/2017 8:06 AM

Hi, I am doing research to buy my first bmx bike. I found one on craigslist that looks to me like a good deal
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/bik/6062448359.html
I am not that knowledgable yet, but it looks like this is a good price for this custom to me. The thing is, it has a freecoaster. I don't know how to rollout yet, and I've heard a lot of people say that you should learn on a cassette.

So, is this a good deal like I think, and would it be detrimental for me to start riding on a bike with a freecoaster?

|

4/24/2017 8:14 AM

Do u wanna pedal to move back or have it go free? Some would suggest cassette first..
Does that bike have 100% chromo, sealed parts and double wall rims?

|

4/24/2017 8:56 AM

you can still backpedal on a freecoaster, just like you would on a cassette.

|

4/24/2017 10:20 AM

pnj wrote:

you can still backpedal on a freecoaster, just like you would on a cassette.

But pedal pressure is the determining factor. I think you should begin on cassette.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

4/24/2017 10:52 AM

it doesn't matter. Learn on what you have.

There are no rules to this stuff.

Pretty sure I learned on an actual coaster brake.

|

4/24/2017 10:55 AM

I can't really see an issue with learning with a freecoaster. Surely it's harder to learn to ride, then switch to a freecoaster? I'd just recomment a brake so you can use that instead of pedal pressure. As long as the freecoaster works and you don't end up engaging when you don't want to (which would put the freecoaster under more strain, so would need more maintenance/replacement parts). Plus the amount of people that want a freecoaster now would make it really easy to swap with someone for a cassette

|

4/24/2017 1:45 PM

I started on a freecoaster, didn't really feel it was a disadvantage. Made rolling out of sketchy shit easier. Besides that, I don't really think it made much, if any difference.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson