Least favorite SPECIFIC PARTS

Related:
Create New Tag

10/15/2017 11:18 PM

Your brain thinking that doesn't magically make one stronger or weaker than the other. I can tell you from experience that 14mm male is stronger than 3/8" female aluminum and chromoly, for grinding at least. To repeat myself from my above post, I've bent 3/8" female bolts (in a chromoly female axle if that matters), but I still have yet to bend my rear 14mm male axle. Even when 14mm male front hubs were a thing, I never bent one of those.

|

10/15/2017 11:20 PM

I'd say 14mm male axle is stronger than anything apart from a 14mm chromoly female. Some people use a 14mm hollow male axle for years with heavy grinds. Obviously, they're less likely to bend than a solid axle, but they do snap occasionally.

I haven't used pegs since bitd though. Back then 14mm axles didn't exist, and I ruined so many axles and hubs it put me off for life. I just see pegs as a way of destroying your bike

|

10/15/2017 11:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2017 11:48 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Your brain thinking that doesn't magically make one stronger or weaker than the other. I can tell you from experience that 14mm male is stronger than 3/8" female aluminum and chromoly, for grinding at least. To repeat myself from my above post, I've bent 3/8" female bolts (in a chromoly female axle if that matters), but I still have yet to bend my rear 14mm male axle. Even when 14mm male front hubs were a thing, I never bent one of those.

Lol I guess my thoughts dont influence physical properties.

To clarify, you are bending the "bolts" not the "axles", correct? Were you able to remove and replace the bolts after they bent? Or did it damage the axle as well?

I have heard of some people stripping out the threads of some female axles, not sure if they were aluminum or chromoly.

Either way, I trust 3/8 female axles for what I do currently, which isnt grinding. Lol

|

10/16/2017 12:35 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

To clarify, you are bending the "bolts" not the "axles", correct? Were you able to remove and replace the bolts after they bent? Or did it damage the axle as well?

I have heard of some people stripping out the threads of some female axles, not sure if they were aluminum or chromoly.

Either way, I trust 3/8 female axles for what I do currently, which isnt grinding. Lol

Yeah the bolts, but I've also bent a chromoly center axle before. I grind A LOT. I just said fuck it and rode with it bent, eventually just got a new hub altogether (not solely because of the bent bolt haha) but no damages to the axle itself

They were likely aluminum, it takes a good bit of user error to strip a chromoly female axle. Aluminum ones without helicoils (threaded steel inserts) can strip from over tightening, ones with helicoils can do but it's harder to do so, or so I hear. Never stripped one from over tightening, but I did strip an aluminum one by landing funny on a 180 double peg... not sure what exactly happened but it somehow busted the threads clean out of the axle and onto the bolt. If you don't grind it doesn't make much of a difference so you're fine

|

10/16/2017 12:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/16/2017 12:54 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Yeah the bolts, but I've also bent a chromoly center axle before. I grind A LOT. I just said fuck it and rode with it bent, eventually just got a new hub altogether (not solely because of the bent bolt haha) but no damages to the axle itself

They were likely aluminum, it takes a good bit of user error to strip a chromoly female axle. Aluminum ones without helicoils (threaded steel inserts) can strip from over tightening, ones with helicoils can do but it's harder to do so, or so I hear. Never stripped one from over tightening, but I did strip an aluminum one by landing funny on a 180 double peg... not sure what exactly happened but it somehow busted the threads clean out of the axle and onto the bolt. If you don't grind it doesn't make much of a difference so you're fine

Im thinking about giving grinds/stalls a try when my foot gets better. Not sure yet, keep on going back and forth.

Maybe I should start a pegs vs pegless topic...im sure that one hasnt been covered to death...lol

Female vs male hubs

Freecoaster vs cassette

20" vs 21" frames

2 peice vs 4 peice bars

Top load vs front load

2 peice vs 3 peice cranks

8 spline vs 48

10" bars vs the world

Aluminum vs plastic pedals

Steel vs plastic vs aluminum pegs

Chromoly vs hi-ten

Street vs park frames

Half link vs full link

Pivotal vs tripod

...Am I missing any VS. Topics? Lol

Man the "VS" for versus, starts to look weird when you see it that many times in a row.

|

10/16/2017 5:35 AM

Even alloy female axles can take a bit of abuse. And it depends what you're grinding. Stalls and grinds on metal ledges will be fine, it's only when you do a lot of grinds on rough concrete you need to start looking at burly hubs

#peglessandproud
#sadpeglesssociety

|

10/16/2017 9:35 AM

Had a pair of clear eclat team grips years ago, worst grips ever. They were hard and slippy like a walmart bike grips. Perhaps the other colors might have done better but i rode them for like a week and traded them out. I heard the odyssey twisted pc's in clear color also sucked cause it is a different plastic than the black ones

|

10/16/2017 8:35 PM

Shoelaces on hubs.

|

10/16/2017 8:36 PM

Hbtl_Ofndr wrote:

Shoelaces on hubs.

Or the tennis ball thing...lol

|

10/16/2017 9:30 PM

Shredkink9 wrote:

Had a pair of clear eclat team grips years ago, worst grips ever. They were hard and slippy like a walmart bike grips. Perhaps the other colors might have done better but i rode them for like a week and traded them out. I heard the odyssey twisted pc's in clear color also sucked cause it is a different plastic than the black ones

The black ones suck too. I wore one down to the bearing doing pedal feebles in one ride

|

10/17/2017 3:53 AM

seat / seatpost combos
I won't ever own one of those. No adjustment, the post is always too short... Thanks but no thanks

I also hate super short stems in general. Maybe it's the old school in me, or the trail rider in me, but I tried some of these 50-45 mm stems and it just didn't worked out. When I put a 53mm back on, it felt perfect, but then again I also hate those super short street frames. Anything with a back end shorter than 13.5 is a scooter to me.

|

10/17/2017 5:50 AM

Hbtl_Ofndr wrote:

Shoelaces on hubs.

I agree, they look so much worse than a little dust. I think it's pretty dumb. 4 piece bars with no upsweep. They feel horrible.

|

10/17/2017 6:13 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Colony wasp hub in oilslick.

1. Because oilslick
2. Sounds like you have a hoard of bees following you
3. Everyone I know personally who has run one has had issues with the springs
4. 3/8ths female bolts. That's a no-no with pegs, unless you grind light

Been on my 3/8ths bolts front and back with lots and lots of grinds for about 2 years. Nothing bent. Nada.

|

10/17/2017 6:17 AM

15deg lift on tripod seats. Not a seat in the world has a 15deg angle cuz it’s just not comfortable. All it does is sodomize you when you land bad and make you slide off it backwards when you’re trying to just sit. Who the fuck approved that shit? Seats are for sitting.

|

10/17/2017 6:20 AM

im sure it doesn’t make them
Bad people but companies that use bad spelling and grammar on their sites and non-existent words like “fitment” make me really wonder who is around them that they don’t check them. So are they all badly grammared? and is it just grammar they’re overlooking or other important factors too?

|

10/17/2017 7:14 AM

Hbtl_Ofndr wrote:

Shoelaces on hubs.

Bulletpup wrote:

Or the tennis ball thing...lol

I only do the tennis ball thing so I can keep my spokes gift if they ever get loose and I need to ride back but I hate the shoelace thing

|

10/17/2017 7:22 AM

Sean_Goff wrote:

Bad people but companies that use bad spelling and grammar on their sites and non-existent words like “fitment” make me really wonder who is around them that they don’t check them. So are they all badly grammared? and is it just grammar they’re overlooking or other important factors too?

'Fitment' is a word...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

10/17/2017 7:38 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Im thinking about giving grinds/stalls a try when my foot gets better. Not sure yet, keep on going back and forth.

Maybe I should start a pegs vs pegless topic...im sure that one hasnt been covered to death...lol

Female vs male hubs

Freecoaster vs cassette

20" vs 21" frames

2 peice vs 4 peice bars

Top load vs front load

8 spline vs 48

10" bars vs the world

Chromoly vs hi-ten

Street vs park frames

Half link vs full link

Pivotal vs tripod

Man the "VS" for versus, starts to look weird when you see it that many times in a row.

Yeah you forgot a big one. Fat tires vs skinny tires lmao

|

10/17/2017 7:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2017 7:53 AM

Sean_Goff wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

'Fitment' is a word...

Fitment is, indeed, a word.

|

10/17/2017 9:27 AM

FIT TAs. My experience with the gum colored ones. Man, I don't know what I did, but they essentially became hard plastic, and riding became a life or death situation at skateparks.

|

10/17/2017 9:50 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Female vs male hubs

Freecoaster vs cassette

20" vs 21" frames

2 peice vs 4 peice bars

Top load vs front load

8 spline vs 48

10" bars vs the world

Chromoly vs hi-ten

Street vs park frames

Half link vs full link

Pivotal vs tripod

Super-Pawl wrote:

Yeah you forgot a big one. Fat tires vs skinny tires lmao

Damn! Youre right, and Im part of that too...

|

10/17/2017 10:08 AM

Nugenrules wrote:

FIT TAs. My experience with the gum colored ones. Man, I don't know what I did, but they essentially became hard plastic, and riding became a life or death situation at skateparks.

All colored tires will usually become "hard plastic" like because the lack of "carbon black" in the rubber compound. The carbon black increases the tensile strength and the durability.

|