Left Hand Drive worth it?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/3/2014 3:13 PM

I just started to bmx this year and a lot of my friends who have been biking for 2-3 years say that I'm good enough to grind. The only problem is I jump to the right and i have a rhd so I'm concerned about destroying my sprocket and chain. My friends told me I should get a left hand drive but only if I'm gonna keep at it. So what I'm asking is, is a left hand drive really worth it?

|

8/3/2014 3:17 PM

if you grind on your right then yes

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/3/2014 3:21 PM

if you grind properly, you won't destroy. I've been riding RHD and grinding RHD for a long time and been fine. I did have to jump to a guard sprocket when i went to 28t, tho. If you're wanting a new hub and can afford a LHD, which can be a bit more rare sometimes, go for it. Doesn't make a huge difference tho.

|

Insta: @devicacy

8/3/2014 3:25 PM

If you grind on the right then yes it's worth it. You might go through chains faster, probably bend your sprocket a bit and mess up you're driver if you grind on your drive side. So if you've got the money for it you should do it. It's not gonna be to bad if you stay with rhd for a bit. But you eventually you should buy one. I mean I run 4 pegs and I haven't really ruined anything to bad on my drive side

|

8/3/2014 3:36 PM

Just learn grinds before you drop any money on anything if you dont ride like a goon youll be ok for a while

|

8/3/2014 7:36 PM

Grind to the right with sprocket on the right and never had any problems it's not really worth it to spend all that money to change to lhd

|

8/3/2014 9:12 PM

I'd say it's worth it. Worst come to worst you take the pegs off. LHD parts don't cost any more that their RHD counterparts, and chances are you'll eventually swap the majority of parts, so think of it as an upgrade to your bike

Plus peg less LHD looks kinda cool

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

8/3/2014 9:20 PM

Switching to LHD was the best thing i did as a young rider, i wasn't constantly worried about snapping chains or destroying my driver. Now that i have four pegs i suppose it doesn't matter having LHD but i do have guards all the way around.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

8/3/2014 9:23 PM

you'll need lhd cranks, fit indents are the cheapest I think, and lhd hub, no idea. I was looking at the Antigram and was thinking about lacing it to a DK orbit since dk has a white one onsale for 20bucks.

ANNNDDDD now everybody will blow up the dk site ordering the damn rim ugh

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

8/3/2014 10:25 PM

sproket guard? lol i dont know i grind left side

|

Bicycle motor-cross Motor bicycle-cross Bicycle cross-motor Motor cross-bicycle!

8/4/2014 4:30 AM

My freecoaster is lhd but I never tried grinding with it, it still feels the same as rhd until u look down at your cranks

|

8/4/2014 7:22 AM

Can't afford a left hand drive hub? Buy a s&m cymbol guard or a daily grind guard. And if you still have some cash buy a guard sprocket.

I've got a ratchet which I can swap drive side on. Ran lhd for ages. I'm now running rhd cause I count be bothered swapping my cranks back after my rhd coaster died. I'm better at placing my right peg than I am my left peg

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

8/4/2014 10:03 AM

Gump wrote:

Can't afford a left hand drive hub? Buy a s&m cymbol guard or a daily grind guard. And if you still have some cash buy a ...more

This. Invest in a guard for the rear hub. Maybe a sprocket with guard.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/4/2014 10:08 AM

dkTechEthan wrote:

you'll need lhd cranks, fit indents are the cheapest I think, and lhd hub, no idea. I was looking at the Antigram and was ...more

Most cranks are RHD/LHD compatible. They'll have holes in both arms. Note I said MOST, not all.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine