Left crank arm coming loose

Related:
Create New Tag

7/28/2017 7:35 AM

I know there has been multiple threads on this, but I have no idea what could be wrong. The cranks aren't even that old, and are definitely not stripped. I put some grease on the compression bolt (I don't have blue loctite so I just used something called super lube) but the left crank arm still keeps coming loose. Here are some picsPhoto

Photo

|

7/28/2017 7:36 AM

Photo

|

7/28/2017 8:03 AM

Probably the fact you used super lube as loctite is not a lube but more of a glue. Loctite makes threads lock where lube makes them not stick... Are you sure all your washers etc are in place...

|

7/28/2017 8:07 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Probably the fact you used super lube as loctite is not a lube but more of a glue. Loctite makes threads lock where lube makes ...more

I've never messed with the cranks until now and one day they just came loose after not having to tighten them for months so I tightened them then and have to keep tightening since.. So the washers wouldn't be out of place if I have never messed with them.

|

7/28/2017 8:13 AM

Torque them correctly/crank it down. Check it periodically.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/28/2017 3:00 PM

How much spindle is sticking through the crank arm when you have it on? Could be too much spindle poking through on that side which won't allow the arm to stay tight.

Also check and make sure the threads on your bolts aren't stripped

|

7/28/2017 3:40 PM

If it's been ridden loose you may have worn the splines

|

7/28/2017 4:54 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

How much spindle is sticking through the crank arm when you have it on? Could be too much spindle poking through on that side ...more

How much should it be sticking through? Do you have any pics of what it should look like vs what it shouldn't?

|

7/28/2017 4:55 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Do they look worn to you?

|

7/28/2017 5:14 PM

either the spindle is going to far into the crank arm, or they are worn out. time for some 48 spline

|

7/28/2017 5:50 PM

8 splines w no pinch bolts... not a great design. Clean the grease out and use some blue thread locker!

|

In midschool bike rides you.

7/28/2017 9:45 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Chase Lille wrote:

Do they look worn to you?

Not really, but they don't have to be worn enough to see to have wobble. And if a crank arm wobbles, it's because the splines aren't as snug as they should be

|

7/29/2017 1:10 AM

Maybe something could be rubbing on the inside of the crankarm? The left side bolt naturally loosens when pedaling.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

7/29/2017 1:13 AM

I've never seen 8 splines without a pinch bolt. That just seems like a bad idea. It's probably time for some new cranks.

|

7/29/2017 9:52 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

I've never seen 8 splines without a pinch bolt. That just seems like a bad idea. It's probably time for some new cranks.

Agree with this get yourself some Profiles

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert