Leg Injury help

Related:
Create New Tag

2/6/2015 8:32 PM

About 3 and a half weeks ago, I tipped over on my bicycle. I came down on my stomach, bracing the fall w/ my arms and legs. Apparently, I came down on my thigh somehow, and ever since, I have had reduced mobility. I am not sure what exactly is wrong.

-Can't bend my knee too far, or flex my thigh without pain, mid-thigh
-Pressure hurts (massaging)
-Can have weight on it without pain

I don't know if it's a bone bruise, deep muscle bruise or something else.

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

2/6/2015 10:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2015 10:32 PM

3? call it 4 weeks ago?

are you still able to retain normal movement of your legs without any severe pain? (and i mean a "ehh ahh! gah") type noises being made.

how bad of a fall was it? where you on the ground or landing off a jump? in any case your muscles have been bruised. I would imagine your legs took more of the impact then your hands did. i would say its probably a very deep tendon bruise, i get them allot on my hands and arms, and they'll come back now and again, best thing you can do is take anti-inflammatory medication, and icy hot. more so the hot. if you have a hot tub, or a neighbor who does. soak in that for about 45 minutes a day. it'll help ALLOT another thing you can do is leg lifts and kicks, while laying on your back so theirs no extra weight on your legs. i don't recommend this until you've rested your legs for as long as possible, and they are starting to bother you less, recovering from an injury like that is something you want to do very carefully, or else you could damage your legs badly. lay off everything and take meds and temperature therapies till it starts to get better. then slowly work in 0 resistance leg stretches to help work the muscles back up. it will take time before your full leg strength returns to you.

if your still unsure or are very worried, seek medical attention.

also while in the hot tub, is a good place to kinda gently stretch the legs out, and kinda rub your legs while under water, it'll help. think of it like tenderizing meat, right now your muscles are very compacted and swollen, you need to soften them up.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/7/2015 6:44 AM

dkTechEthan wrote:

3? call it 4 weeks ago?

are you still able to retain normal movement of your legs without any severe pain? (and i mean a "ehh ...more

Dropped into a vert wall, went up a bank and the front tire slid out.
I don't take meds, but thanks for all the advice man, I've been trying to stretch it out, but it only helps temporarily, and stiffens back up.

|

BIKE CHECK

2/7/2015 6:51 AM

Have you thought about going to the doctor so they can actually diagnose you?

Honestly I see these threads a lot, and the ONLY consistent advice would be going to the doctor, especially after 3 weeks of issues. We are not medically trained, nor do we get all the details or visuals from your description. It could be something worse than some bruising, could be a fracture, could be torn or stretched tendons, bruised tissue and so on.

I would recommend going to the doctor if ANYTHING bugs you for more than a week, or if you obviously need to (broken bones etc).

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/7/2015 7:48 AM

In my vast medical experience, I have never seen such a case of refusal to go to the doctor.

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

2/7/2015 7:49 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Honestly I see these threads a lot, and the ...more

I can walk on it just fine, so I know it's a muscle thing, not a bone fracture.
Don't want to drop 100+ just to tell me to ice it when people on here could have had the same thing happen.

|

BIKE CHECK

2/7/2015 8:30 AM

dkTechEthan wrote:

3? call it 4 weeks ago?

are you still able to retain normal movement of your legs without any severe pain? (and i mean a "ehh ...more

MidWestBMX wrote:

Dropped into a vert wall, went up a bank and the front tire slid out.
I don't take meds, but thanks for all the advice man, ...more

ibuprofen is a godsend. advil too. all at your local dollar store for.... a dollar?

have you looked into tiger balm?

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/7/2015 8:59 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

MidWestBMX wrote:

Don't want to drop 100+ just to tell me to ice ...more

Considering it's your thigh, I'll agree but having use isnt a guaranteed sign. Gotta factor in things like pain tolerance. When I fractured my ankle I could walk just fine. It only hurt whenn all my weight was on it, such as drops down curbs and stairs and stuff like that. Walking on flat surfaces was painless

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

2/7/2015 9:07 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

MidWestBMX wrote:

Don't want to drop 100+ just to tell me to ice ...more

tomdon wrote:

Considering it's your thigh, I'll agree but having use isnt a guaranteed sign. Gotta factor in things like pain tolerance. ...more

use of movement just lets you rule out anything super major, torn ligaments, dislocation, breaking. which is good it means the damage is all tissue, which basically means its just the great grand mother of holy crap bruising. it'll probably suck like hell for awhile. think of it like you were in a car crash and got shaken up allot, its that kinda soreness, take it easy and take advil, it WILL help!

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/7/2015 9:18 AM

god, i love reading threads like this, especially when they don't start with "i saw a doctor after i fell", or something along those lines. vitalbmx=webMD

|

2/7/2015 9:43 AM

Velo/Raptor wrote:

god, i love reading threads like this, especially when they don't start with "i saw a doctor after i fell", or something along ...more

Welcome to Merica. $100 for a dr to say your coughing/sore throat/headache is just a virus and will take a couple days to pass, so no medicine to help get over it quicker. No free healthcare. How are we number one again?

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

2/7/2015 9:45 AM

Velo/Raptor wrote:

god, i love reading threads like this, especially when they don't start with "i saw a doctor after i fell", or something along ...more

Ricked_Em wrote:

Welcome to Merica. $100 for a dr to say your coughing/sore throat/headache is just a virus and will take a couple days to ...more

we're number 12 actually.

http://www.heritage.org/index/ranking

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/7/2015 9:47 AM

dkTechEthan wrote:

lol

|

BIKE CHECK

2/7/2015 9:49 AM

dkTechEthan wrote:

Sarcasm/Merica logic

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

2/7/2015 9:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2015 9:56 AM

Get a stick, bite down on the stick, get a hack saw, saw your leg off, while this is happening heat up a frying pan till its red hot, once legs sawed off , put red hot pan on open wound to burn it shut to cut off bleeding , problem solved , trust me I'm a doctor

|

2/7/2015 10:50 AM

Photo

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

2/7/2015 10:57 AM

lmfao make that your picture PLEASE LMFAO!

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/7/2015 11:12 AM

yeah, i'm gonna stay right here in Canada. yeah, our prime minister is a boring bowl of oatmeal compared to your president, but free healthcare rocks. when i broke both arms, got 58 staples, 16 screws, and 4 plates, my final bill was under $150- 2 fiberglass casts and cable tv at the hospital. OHIP covered the rest.

|

2/7/2015 12:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2015 2:27 PM

How do you not have insurance ?

I wasn't working, got free healthcare and then broke my shoulder and ma back. I didn't even have a co-pay.

Anywho, take ibuprofen to help the swelling.
Try ice and heat.
Rest it

|

2/7/2015 8:20 PM

Well i messed up my foot real bad on a roof drop before, muscularly, X Rays showed there was no bone problems.

My foot is STILL mis- shapen from it. My muscles all tensed up around it to help it go back into shape. It hurt for 2 months maybe more and rarely ever hurts now. It cracks sometimes to reset after i have stood for a long time.

But with any deep muscular stuff, ice and then heat and then ice and then heat repeat is good. Massage is not the answer, but sometimes accupuncture is a good way to reduce stress. My mother did that when she has muscles in her back messed up, but be warned, it's pricey and you'll get addicted to it. It's like the best.

But I had a bad bruise on my thigh and ice and heat is good. Sometimes it may need wrapped at night. Make sure it isn't too tight or your leg will be numb when you wake up!

Going to the doctor sucks. Do what feels good, i'm still paying for my X-Rays... AND I'M ON INSURANCE!!

So keep trying to stretch it and don't massage it until it doesn't hurt at all. Take lots of ibuprofen and drink a lot of water to keep inflammation down. The best thing for it is time.

If you haven't seen Breaking Bad, watch that. Spend a few days watching a TV series and being inactive, but be sure not to eat salty food or a lot of food because itll pack on faster because you aren't riding.

Take it easy dude.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.