Less riders among younger generation?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/26/2019 8:54 AM

I've been noticing as more and more of the older crowd are starting to get back into bmxing or just starting, the younger generation are not really riding much. In my highschool I've only seen like 3 bmx bikes total and I don't think any of them ride they just use it for transportation. Why is bmx becoming small among the youth? Perhaps bikes are too expensive?

|

10/26/2019 10:04 AM

This happens every couple years with every action sport. Skateboarding and BMX are both on the decline again and might be for a year or two. Then out of nowhere, there will be an X-Games boom and it will be on again.

Lil Wayne made skateboarding pop off again a couple years ago. TCU made BMX pop off a couple years ago. Who knows how, when, or who will do it this time. Just ride. It doesn't matter who is doing it or many of them are doing it as long as you're doing it.

|

10/26/2019 10:07 AM

supersnivy87 wrote:

I've been noticing as more and more of the older crowd are starting to get back into bmxing or just starting, the younger generation are not really riding much. In my highschool I've only seen like 3 bmx bikes total and I don't think any of them ride they just use it for transportation. Why is bmx becoming small among the youth? Perhaps bikes are too expensive?

Scooters are the new skateboard/bike/rollerblades etc.

Scooters are cheaper, lighter, easier to maintain, easier to transport, less of a learning curve.

They are honestly an awesome vehicle, very practical for city transposrtation and fun to ride for tricks and whatnot.

They are what's popular now.

I do like bikes better now but I grew up riding skateboards, bikes, scooters and inline skates. Having all that, I cherished nothing more than my razor scooter, when I was young.

That was back when they were actually quality. Hand welded with all aluminum everything and they were built to last. They had to be imported as a kit from Japan when you ordered one. Now they are somewhat of a joke when it comes to scooters but back when they were first introduced...they were incredible!

|

10/26/2019 11:39 AM

There may seem to be less, but I definitely don't think there's a lack of the next generation of riders.

It's true that scootering has somewhat taken over actions sports for all the reasons Bullet said, but just because you don't see anyone else at your school riding BMX doesn't mean it's dying. I mean, through all my years at my middle and high school, I was the only person riding BMX. I was also the only person riding scooters before I slightly got into bikes. But the bigger picture shows a different story. It's a huge scene where many people are riding, just not near you. Granted, I am separated from the U.S. mainland where all the action happens, but BMX still has a strong presence.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

10/28/2019 6:48 AM

supersnivy87 wrote:

I've been noticing as more and more of the older crowd are starting to get back into bmxing or just starting, the younger generation are not really riding much. In my highschool I've only seen like 3 bmx bikes total and I don't think any of them ride they just use it for transportation. Why is bmx becoming small among the youth? Perhaps bikes are too expensive?

Same here, but I live outside a really small farm town.

When I go into town, I see a few kids on BMX bikes, not many. Only seen 1 trying to do any tricks.

The majority of kids I see on bikes are on MTBs...

Also see a lot of older disheveled looking guys on beater bikes. I'm assuming they have no license or car and have resorted to bikes for Transportation. We have one guy that rides a zero turn mower everywhere, as he has no license.

|

10/28/2019 10:26 AM

readybmxer wrote:

There may seem to be less, but I definitely don't think there's a lack of the next generation of riders.

It's true that scootering has somewhat taken over actions sports for all the reasons Bullet said, but just because you don't see anyone else at your school riding BMX doesn't mean it's dying. I mean, through all my years at my middle and high school, I was the only person riding BMX. I was also the only person riding scooters before I slightly got into bikes. But the bigger picture shows a different story. It's a huge scene where many people are riding, just not near you. Granted, I am separated from the U.S. mainland where all the action happens, but BMX still has a strong presence.

i agree. I happen to be the only person to ride bmx in my middle school, given that i lve in a town with 50,000 ppl, thats not very nice. However, i feel like in bigger towns theres alot more scene.

|

10/28/2019 12:21 PM

Lots of kids down in CA are getting on complete bikes. That’s just what I have seen on social media so take that for what you will

|

10/29/2019 4:13 AM

I was the only guy for a bit, got a friend into it, and within about 3 years we had something like 20-30 guys riding. We got a skatepark at a church, then another free one in our town and suddenly there were like 100 skaters and like 50 BMXers, a few rollerbladers and a handful of scooter kids (before scooters were huge) and we all had a good time. People got into and out of the sports a lot, many grew up and left town, and many quit. The church skatepark shut down like 5 years into it due to a lack of funds to maintain it, and the scene died a bit-but the free park was always popping. Then I moved, and I head kids are still out there shredding each day, but that park is trashed now.

Out of my core group I rode with back then, I am the only one who still rides (as far as I know). It's the nature of things.

Many people not far from me (60ish miles) have "graduated" to bigger bikes more often than BMX.

I know there are tons of new kids riding, but like everyone said, scooters are the in thing right now-the learning curve and injury factors are a tad lower when learning most of the basics.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/29/2019 8:28 PM

Coopers25 wrote:

Lots of kids down in CA are getting on complete bikes. That’s just what I have seen on social media so take that for what you will

Ca scene is huge in certain areas

|