Let’s hear stories

Related:
Create New Tag

11/10/2019 5:20 PM

How did you get into bmx?

|

11/10/2019 5:32 PM

I'm generation X, it was what we did, almost unavoidable really..

I'm truly thankful for that..

I just recently got back into it because I bought my son a BMX. I rode it all of ten minutes and knew I'd have to get another for myself..

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

11/10/2019 5:56 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I just recently got back ...more

Not bad I find it interesting how much bmx has changed over the years. Source bmx.com has pretty good bikes on discount the kink Mac is going for 370 dollars and I think it’s full chromoly

|

11/10/2019 5:59 PM

1995. My mom's boyfriend was AM for some board company. We were at this bank in Elizabeth, NJ. There were a shit load of pros from the 1st X-Games riding this spot. He broke his board trying to grind this rail trying to impress the pros so he tried it on my Kent Teenage Mutant Ninja turtle board. That snapped.

So I didn't have a board anymore but I had a Simpsons bike. A shitty one. Like single bolt stem bad. So I was watching the X-Games for skateboarding and saw the BMX contest. I was hooked asap. Started building ramps out of bricks and pallets and other random garbage.

|

11/11/2019 7:01 AM

Nothing special here. My parents bought me a Huffy for my 1st bike and I rode the crap out of it, till I could save up for a GT Performer. A lot of kids just rode BMX for everyday transportation. A few raced, some did tricks. Some got into skating... I favored Flatland and ramp tricks.

To this day, I still have a thing for BMX. I like all Bikes, but BMX are my favorite, I just wished I could comfortably ride a 20".. At 6'4" 250ish LBS, I can't really ride them and to me the bigger bikes just aren't as cool.

|

11/11/2019 7:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2019 7:12 AM

I used to watch scotty cramners youtube in 2015-2016 religiously. I loved what they were doing so i got a bike and starting riding, but just around town for about a year just doing bunnyhops and bumpjumps, then i got a used custom bike and started riding seriously. Its way better than all the other mainstream sports, I just find it more interesting than soccer or football. In bmx you can ride wherever, whenever, however you want instead being told by someone, which is way cooler. Sucks that making a living off riding is near impossible.

|

bikes

11/11/2019 7:45 AM

When I was 6 my mum bought me a Raleigh Mini Burner for Christmas (1983). I LOVED that bike! It had a coaster brake and I went through tyres like they were going out of fashion. My step dad got sick of forking out for replacements and had it deactivated - I was gutted.
We moved out to the country, I found a quarry and rode it to death on dirt jumps. Then started skating.
Didn't get another BMX until 2001 when I rescued my little brothers knackered '96 Ruption TX5. Broke that too. Couldn't afford to fix it (2 kids, no disposable income etc.).
Then 3 years ago I bodge-fixed it so I could ride with my 3yo son and the bug bit again. Upgraded to my current bike a year later and I'm in love again. Riding every day that doesn't rain.

|

11/11/2019 11:32 AM

I lived a minute down the street from a racetrack. The rest is history

|

11/11/2019 3:37 PM

I started off extreme sports as a skateboarder. I wasn't anything hot but I had the basics down. Was seshing at the Brooklyn banks in 2009 (I was blessed to have grown up in NYC), saw a bunch of bikers roll up, I think there was a jam or something. But I'll never forget the very second I fell in love with BMX, there was this one dude with a hot pink bike (Aaron Ross style) and the Garret Reynolds bandanna headband. He did a simple walltap to fakie on the wallride-bank, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing - the fucking guy was riding backwards. The loudness of his cassette hub, how absurdly bright his bike color was. It all felt so "big", I looked down on my skateboard and it was just a piece of wood. A plank. I wanted a hunk of metal then and there. So I went home and begged my broke ass parents to buy me the most top of the line complete bike from my LBS for about $400 which happened to be a 40lb Diamondback with the front and back brakes and 4 screw on pegs. And I still love BMX the same to this day. Don't care for MTB, cars or anything else. And I don't care how many bar catch bars someone can throw or how many grinds you can fit into a line/combo, to me it will always be about a simple clean trick and a dope fakie/slider out.

|

11/11/2019 5:47 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I just recently got back ...more

My story is a lot like this. I broke my first bone in 1984 at the age of 6 jumping dirt piles at a construction site down the hill from my house and it's my most favorite memory of being a kid.

|

11/11/2019 6:29 PM

I've always ridden a bmx bike and always thought the name "bmx bike" sounded badass for some reason. I tried riding a mountain bike but didn't like how it felt, plus I ate shit riding one and fractured my wrist so I stuck with the Wal-Mart Mongoose bmx bike and always rode it around, most notably at the school across the street. Eventually I saw 2 kids I knew from school riding bikes over there, one on a Next bmx bike and one on a mountain bike. They had made little dirt jumps out of the dirt in the baseball field and were jumping them, I have a photo of them I'll throw up in a bit... they were tiny haha. I went over, started talking to them and for weeks we'd meet up and just jump them. I was terrified at first but it became such a thrill.

Eventually the one with the mountain bike stopped coming around so he could focus on football, but the one with the bmx bike got an Eastern Lowdown bike and I got a Haro Backtrail x2 and we'd continue meeting up and riding around slowly progressing and learning feeble grinds, trying 180s, manuals, just stuff like that. I remember my biggest feat was feeble grinding a bench about fork height... Just the day prior to that I couldn't do that and struggled with dropout height feebles, but something clicked that night and I just fell in love with it after that. That and learning there were other extremely good riders in town. I was mind-blown by the stuff I saw them doing and was determined to do it too.

It's funny though, I don't actually remember learning to bunnyhop. As far as I can remember I always could... not very high, just up curbs. But the first trick I remember learning is a feeble grind

|

11/11/2019 8:28 PM

ESKEW77 wrote:

My story is a lot like this. I broke my first bone in 1984 at the age of 6 jumping dirt piles at a construction site down the ...more

Funny thing is all of my biggest injuries in life came from riding bikes, most of them BMX, only laughs and fond memories and a little tougher too, but absolutely no regrets..👍

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

11/11/2019 9:25 PM

Ive never broken a bone although I did damage some ankle muscles when I crashed learning 180s I found a crappy bmx and looked on YouTube and I found the god himself Adam LZ. I soon came to realize that my bike was shit so I tried to make some money with my uncles company and made enough for a used mongoose mode 540 I was around 15 at the time. One day I took my bmx to a dead end found a beer bottle and decided to try to bunny hop. I learned to bunny hop and that was my go too spot for learning tricks. I didn’t really push myself as I didn’t have much money to replace my bike parts and it was still a shitty bike. 3/8th axles unsealed bearings hi tensile everything. Next summer came around and I busted my frame riding in the snow so with all the money I saved up I bought a used 2016 kink Liberty Shawn Sexton edition which was a steal. Because it had a lot of aftermarket parts and sealed bearings all the way around. I still treated my bike like it was a baby tho. The next summer rolled around I got a job in construction and had good amount of money to fix my bike since I had shit stripped cranks forks chain and my freecoaster hub driver got worn out it looked like a saw. I came across a video of Anthony panza and saw his cultcrew video. I fell in love again I order what I needed and started to ride again. I wasn’t treating my bike like a baby anymore. I kinda landed the 180s now but snow started to fall again so sadly I’ll have to wait till spring🥺 meanwhile I’m trying to learn to lace up wheels.

|

11/11/2019 9:37 PM

I was lonely and bored. I used to ride bikes with all the kids in the neighborhood when i was little, but they all moved away or stopped talking to me because i was weird (which i was). So i just never stopped riding. I rode alone for years. I didn’t even enjoy it that much in the beginning but i had nothing other to do.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

11/12/2019 4:46 AM

Started jumping random stuff with friends (curbs, bumps etc), got a "BMX" bike and then moved to the country where I made more jumps (dirt and wood) by myself. Found a Snap BMX magazine, met a dude at my new school who was into riding, and went from there. We rode everything-flatland at either of our houses, dirt jumps that we build, street and eventually a couple years later we had two skateparks in my town-a free one and a church made one. That was back in 99.

Still going, but slower and lower. Miss the carefree days of hopping on the bike and just cruising until I was too tired to keep going. Now I am lucky to squeeze an hour in once in a while.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/13/2019 5:05 PM

I got a crappy K-Mart bike for my 5th birthday, but I would spend summers at my grandparent's farm riding my uncle's Cruiser with the cousins. For two or three weeks a year, I had "a bike with hand brakes," and we owned about a 4 mile stretch of country road with multiple farms. Built race tracks, box jumps, quarters, and just rode everything everywhere everyday.

And they had Rad on Betamax!

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?
Instagram: @theothermaj

11/13/2019 6:30 PM

Put an old ten-speed seat on my Sting-Ray and a knobby rear tire and rode dirt jumps out in the woods. We called them “dirt bikes.” This is 1973. Soon after got my first motorcycle, and rode for the next 40-some years. Hung up my leather in 2015 (too many people looking at their phones instead of the road) but still needed some wheels and some thrills. Road bikes and super-hero outfits don’t appeal to me, and good mountain bikes are too expensive and too complicated. I just wanted that feeling I had back in the day, rolling around the neighborhood on a simple bike. I found that on a modern BMX, and I love it.

|

11/13/2019 9:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/13/2019 9:43 PM

oh, i got a good one

it was 1999 and i was 11 and my only friend was my cousin and he moved away the day before. so i walk the 10houses down to his old house (my aunts house) to grab the rest of my stuff and head home where i would spend the rest of my summer watching tv, and playing computer games by myself. on the walk back home these two kids id never met ask me if i wanna hit a jump on a bike. they had a fence post laid on a sidewalk curb, that was the ramp. i charge at it, i miss the plank and go over the bars and knock myself out. only time ive ever gotten KO'd on a bike. after that we go and smoke some weed one of the kids dad gave him. also my first time smoking weed. i got a bike later that summer.

|

wallride a bus everyday

11/13/2019 9:53 PM

buttmeate wrote:

oh, i got a good one

it was 1999 and i was 11 and my only friend was my cousin and he moved away the day before. so i walk ...more

Great story...

Reminds me of the time around 1984, about 10 years old.. I was hauling ass and looking behind me and ran straight into the back of a parked Chevy Suburban.. Only time I've been KO'd on a bike..

|

11/14/2019 1:26 AM

I watched props 6 round my friends house, then bought a beaten up diamondback off another friend for £20. That bike fell apart but I still wanted to ride, borrowing videos from friends was the closest I could get. Then my dad took me to backyard jam 95, and a few months later bought me a 95 gt performer for an early Xmas present.

|

11/14/2019 12:13 PM

I loved skateboarding. i ended up placing in a mtn dew free flow contest when i was 13.. All of my friends ended up ditching skating and playing jr high football. i met a kid at the park one day and he let me ride his bike.. I never looked back. i asked for a DK step up and i could go higher and faster on a bike than i could a board.

|