Letting Bikes In

Related:
Create New Tag

5/5/2014 12:29 PM

TL/DR AT BOTTOM

So I started riding when I was a little kid and stuck with it all through college. When I got a job 4 years ago, I kind of stopped riding. I rode on and off but it was tough because I put on weight. I recently shed a ton of that weight off and I am starting to ease back into riding again.

I recently moved to a suburb of Chicago called Oak Park and found out there is a skate park 2 blocks from my place. I did a walk by and didn't see any of the usual "signs", so I rode over a few days later during the beginning of Spring to see what happens. There were only 2 younger kids on skateboards there. They told me they never saw any bikes there before but they didn't mind if I rode around. I pedaled up and down some ramps for about 5 minutes before someone came out of the little building located between the skate park and basketball courts and told me I wasn't allowed there. Not really surprised, so I apologized and left.

My train passes this park, so for all of April I made sure to peek out the window as we passed around 5:30PM - prime time for people to be skating there since schools have already been let out for the day. Every evening, I was confused at what I saw. There were barely any skaters in the park. I never saw more than 8 people in there at once. Half the time I saw a father with a few little kids on scooters or running around with a dog. On the nicest days, there would only be half a dozen kids. Most of the time they are not even skating or look like they are there to skate.

Shocked (pissed) that the park wasn't being used to it's full potential, I found some emails of people at the park district from their site. I wrote to them to inform them that their park is just sitting there collecting dust as the BMX riders are forced to ride in the street or trespass to pursue their hobby. I was sure to include examples of near by parks that allow BMX bikes in as well.

I found out that they are planning to do a "revamp" of the parks in the district, and will be holding a survey online for the community. I was told they will add the subject of BMX bikes to this survey. The lady I spoke with via email told me to be sure I have my "BMX friends" take the survey. I was pretty happy they took the time to look into it but sadly, I have no BMX friends in this state since I haven't rode in ages.

Has anyone heard of a situation like this or can offer some ideas? I have seen maybe 2 or 3 kids on BMX bikes wiz by as I am driving, but I have no idea if they even live in the town. I am nervous that I may be the only one to take the Park District's survey when it is put online...

TL/DR
Local park may let bikes in. Adding the subject of allowing BMX into the park to an upcoming park revamp project survey. Don't know any bikers besides myself that live in the town to vote on the subject. Ideas?
|

5/5/2014 12:32 PM

We will all be happy to take part in the survey as it is helping out fellow riders.

|

Bruh

5/5/2014 12:46 PM

Zach P-D wrote:

We will all be happy to take part in the survey as it is helping out fellow riders.

I will definitely post a link to the survey here if there aren't any rules about having to reside in the city itself to be eligible to vote!
I appreciate the offer!

It would be cool if it was more of a "persuade us to let bikes in" and not "if you live in the town, you can vote be heard but everyone else get out"...

|

5/5/2014 12:56 PM

get a petition going. have randoms who "ride" sign it and get a fair amount. also start an internet petition and post on a few different forums etc.
Just an idea.

|

Bruh

5/5/2014 1:07 PM

Do you have a twitter? if not i highly recommend getting one.. And then when they post the survey send the link to Brian Kachinsky... He has thousands of followers that would take it... he lives in chicago so i doubt he would have anyproblems sharing it around...

|

5/5/2014 1:11 PM

KrisnerBMX wrote:

Do you have a twitter? if not i highly recommend getting one.. And then when they post the survey send the link to Brian ...more

Never had a Twitter. I actually don't know a single person here other than my wife and the people at work. I have read about Brian in articles related to BMX in Chicago. I will have to see what happens when the survey comes out. I subscribed to their mailing list but have yet to receive a single thing about anything...

|

5/5/2014 2:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/5/2014 2:21 PM

Get in contact with Let's Roast Cycles. See what they know about it. I have no clue if they are in Oak Park or not. Honestly, I don't think it matters. See if they know about other shops and start networking that sum biotch.

There's also Grand Cycle Bikes. Check them out.

|

5/5/2014 2:43 PM

I live over by oak forest. From personal experience, most parks around here don't let bikes in. I know oak forest and Frankfort started to let bikes in a few years ago. Theirs a nice skatepark in tinley park, they don't let bikes in. That never stopped my friends and I from going in though, park district usually drives by and kicks us out, then we go back in.

|

5/5/2014 2:48 PM

DJG97 wrote:

I live over by oak forest. From personal experience, most parks around here don't let bikes in. I know oak forest and ...more

Yeah - The one in Oak Park has a little building with some guy in it. I guess he monitors the area? I drove to one 20 minutes away in Elmhurst that allowed bikes. It was cement and had some odd ball things to ride.

|

5/5/2014 6:39 PM

Imo most of the skateparks on the northwest side kinda blow, lots of pre-fab crap, but ill still gladly fill out that survey. If you are looking for a nice park id suggust looking up the one in villa park its super nice and still pretty much brand new. the only thing is that im not sure if bikes are technically allowed or not, but ive been there a few times and never been hassled.

|