Light but strong 10" bars?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/22/2019 4:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2019 4:45 AM

Any light 10" bars that can take a beating? I currently have wtp pathfinders but they're 1300g (2.9lb) with grips on.

If you're asking why i want lighter bars, I done a frame swap and the bike the frame was previously on felt great, my bike didn't feel as good with the on frame. after a bit of looking into it we established my front end is a fair bit heavier.

|

8/22/2019 4:09 AM

Have you tried working out?

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

8/22/2019 4:17 AM

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

I need to be 16 to go to my local gym unsupervised, currently 15.

The bike i swapped to is a 21.8tt 13.1cs (from 21tt 12.8cs) as well as being heavier than my previous.

|

8/22/2019 5:06 AM

Jessentis wrote:

I need to be 16 to go to my local gym unsupervised, currently 15.

The bike i swapped to is a 21.8tt 13.1cs (from 21tt 12.8cs) as well as being heavier than my previous.

You don’t need to go to a gym find a tree or something and do some pull ups

Its more of the geometry than the weight, i use to ride a freakin gack and could hop higher on it than a lighter bike just because the geometry was magical

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram

old edit

8/22/2019 5:50 AM

I think shadow makes 10" bars. Their whole bar lineup is pretty light so id check those out.

|

8/22/2019 8:40 AM

They’re probably a very similar weight. The long tt and longer chainstays will make it harder to lift the front. Lower bb height will make it harder to lift the front too.

21.8 frame and 10” bars? How tall are you? 7’?

|

8/22/2019 9:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2019 9:05 AM

.pegless. wrote:

They’re probably a very similar weight. The long tt and longer chainstays will make it harder to lift the front. Lower bb height will make it harder to lift the front too.

21.8 frame and 10” bars? How tall are you? 7’?

Like 6' exactly but my legs are really long for my height so on a bike i stand quite tall and my knees always hit the bars/stem

It feels comfortable so I ride it. It spins slower than my old setup but I learnt 360 and full cabs the first day on this frame because of the extra room and control i had

|

8/22/2019 9:13 AM

So i would prefer 4pc. I've looked at a lot and there's some really light ones (bsd grime, cult cuatro) but they're a bit shorter (9.5/9.65), am I likely to notice it much? I haven't rode many bars so I'm not sure. Also what's your thoughts on those bars?

|

8/22/2019 9:38 AM

I’d say that’s more an issue with your stance on the bike tbh. I’m 6’ too, I have a 21” tt, 9.2” bars on a 48mm reach front load stem. These are the tallest bars I’ve ever had. And 21.25 is the longest frame I’ve had. Never really had an issue with hitting my knee on anything unless bailing

|

8/22/2019 9:55 AM

.pegless. wrote:

I’d say that’s more an issue with your stance on the bike tbh. I’m 6’ too, I have a 21” tt, 9.2” bars on a 48mm reach front load stem. These are the tallest bars I’ve ever had. And 21.25 is the longest frame I’ve had. Never really had an issue with hitting my knee on anything unless bailing

Stance just stood on the bike? Or in the middle of tricks? I can look though some old clips see if there's anything useful. I do know that when I pedal I usually lean forward a bit anyway (the harder I pedal the further forward) and I also know just cruising both my knees are pretty much perfectly to either side of my seat

|

8/22/2019 10:07 AM

They don’t really exist. Taller bars are inherently heavier yet weaker. Get smaller, lighter bars and a taller stem.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

8/22/2019 10:16 AM

There's a guy in the bike stuff for sale selling perfect 10s

|

8/22/2019 10:18 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

They don’t really exist. Taller bars are inherently heavier yet weaker. Get smaller, lighter bars and a taller stem.

I was wondering about 9.5 because I found bsd grime bars which are only 750g (1.7lb), theres cult cuatro which is 950g (2.1lb) if the grime are weak. I'll try borrow a friends bars/stem which are shorter for like 10 minutes to have a quick feel.

If anyone had rode the bsd grime or cult cuatro please let me know what they're like

|

8/22/2019 10:55 AM

Jessentis wrote:

I was wondering about 9.5 because I found bsd grime bars which are only 750g (1.7lb), theres cult cuatro which is 950g (2.1lb) if the grime are weak. I'll try borrow a friends bars/stem which are shorter for like 10 minutes to have a quick feel.

If anyone had rode the bsd grime or cult cuatro please let me know what they're like

The BSD has 2° of upsweep and the Cult has 4°, so that should be more of the deciding factor... Both have butted tubing and are probably equal in strength.

I went from 10" bars down to 9.5" and It was slightly noticeable, but way better than how my 9's felt (I'm about 3" taller than you). I'm over 250lbs, so I tend to go with straight gauge for the added peace of mind, but I haven't really seen people snapping butted 9"-10" bars (maybe others can chime in).

Also, I'm guessing you picked up a BSD Safari frame?

|

8/22/2019 12:09 PM

I have cult cuatros and love them.

|

8/22/2019 12:35 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

The BSD has 2° of upsweep and the Cult has 4°, so that should be more of the deciding factor... Both have butted tubing and are probably equal in strength.

I went from 10" bars down to 9.5" and It was slightly noticeable, but way better than how my 9's felt (I'm about 3" taller than you). I'm over 250lbs, so I tend to go with straight gauge for the added peace of mind, but I haven't really seen people snapping butted 9"-10" bars (maybe others can chime in).

what difference does up sweep make to the feel?

I'm not worried about bars snapping, I'm more worried about them bending (i throw my bike a lot, except it isn't throwing i just let go mid trick)

yeah bsd safari. I met a friends friend and he said how he had a 21.8 so i asked to try it. we ended up really liking each other frame feel so we swapped.

|

8/22/2019 1:42 PM

Jessentis wrote:

I'm not worried about bars snapping, I'm more worried about them bending (i throw my bike a lot, except it isn't throwing i just let go mid trick)

yeah bsd safari. I met a friends friend and he said how he had a 21.8 so i asked to try it. we ended up really liking each other frame feel so we swapped.

It basically has to do with the pressure/ comfort felt on your wrists (personal preference).

Some people ride 1°-1.5° with zero discomfort and than switch to 4° and can't stand the feeling... Some can't stand anything less than 3°-4° and some have no preference...

Your WTP Pathfinder bars are more in the middle at 3°, so it would be hard to recommend one over the other unless you've already tried 1.5°, or 4°.

Also, post up some pics, or a Bike Check if you ever get a chance (I like seeing long TT frames).

|

8/22/2019 1:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2019 1:49 PM

Jessentis wrote:

Bryan91 wrote:

Jessentis wrote:

In my experience the more up sweep the more comfortable bars feel on the wrists, but it could be personal preference 🤔

Im currently riding eclat chocolate bars with the oversized clamp area and i think they have a 1.5 degree upsweep and its not too bad, i definitely recommend any bars with the oversized clamping area because your bars will never slip

|

Testimony and apologies

instagram

old edit

8/23/2019 1:04 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

It basically has to do with the pressure/ comfort felt on your wrists (personal preference).

Some people ride 1°-1.5° with zero discomfort and than switch to 4° and can't stand the feeling... Some can't stand anything less than 3°-4° and some have no preference...

Your WTP Pathfinder bars are more in the middle at 3°, so it would be hard to recommend one over the other unless you've already tried 1.5°, or 4°.

Also, post up some pics, or a Bike Check if you ever get a chance (I like seeing long TT frames).

I don't have many pictures of my bike at the moment, and the few I do have are trash. I'm probably going to ride today so I'll get some pictures and write up a bike check (I've never done one before so it might be a bit crap)

|

8/23/2019 1:08 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

Jessentis wrote:

In my experience the more up sweep the more comfortable bars feel on the wrists, but it could be personal preference 🤔

Im currently riding eclat chocolate bars with the oversized clamp area and i think they have a 1.5 degree upsweep and its not too bad, i definitely recommend any bars with the oversized clamping area because your bars will never slip

I currently have oversized with the wtp stc clamping (goose neck) and the only time my bars slipped was when somehow only one bolt was tight, and it still wasn't even that tight.

Even if there was no extra strength it looks so much better especially with 4pc

|

8/23/2019 2:24 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

Jessentis wrote:

It’s definitely personal preference. I went from 1.5 up to 3 up and really didn’t like it.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

8/23/2019 6:45 AM

Don't get big & light bars. Those 2 things just shouldn't go together.

I have the Grime bars in 9.5" (feels like 10" compared to my previous 9.5"s) and they flex SOOOOO much, straight out of the box. It's borderline scary. Theyre also way too tall for me at 6'1" 240lbs with sciatic nerve issues, and that should say a lot.

Like Ohioan said, get a taller stem (dare I say it, the Odyssey Summit stem, as ugly as it is) and shorter bars. This will equate for a lighter and more durable set up (less chromoly tubing and just a smidge more light-weight Aluminum alloy.)

Remember that (approximately..)
12mm of Stem Rise = 1/2"
24mm of Stem Rise = 1"
You can also get a taller headset cap or add spacers to raise it up even more (if your forks will allow.)

TLDR; Unless you are already maxed out on stem/fork height, I wouldn't recommend getting 9.5-10" bars (unless you have serious back problems at the age of 15?)
And if you do decide to get massive bars, get ones built with straight gauge tubing so they dont bend/snap from all the leverage.

And I really recommend looking into a smaller set up. Big things tend to be comfortable, but actually get in the way of learning tricks & maximizing bunny hop height, etc. I'm 6'1" with long legs and more health problems than I'd like to admit, and feel right at home on a 21.2" frame with 9.25" bars. & I can ride said bike for 12hrs a day without hitting my knee or feeling uncomfortable. Not to mention a smaller set up would also be lighter lol.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

8/23/2019 6:49 AM

Also worth mentioning that even if you cut a few ounces here in there in the framing of the bike, it will be hardly noticeable compared to a few ounces cut out of the wheels.

If you want actual noticeable weight savings, invest in lighter rims, spokes, and tires. A tiny bit of weight savings in the wheels ("rotational weight") will make a huge difference.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

8/23/2019 10:19 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Don't get big & light bars. Those 2 things just shouldn't go together.

I have the Grime bars in 9.5" (feels like 10" compared to my previous 9.5"s) and they flex SOOOOO much, straight out of the box. It's borderline scary. Theyre also way too tall for me at 6'1" 240lbs with sciatic nerve issues, and that should say a lot.

Like Ohioan said, get a taller stem (dare I say it, the Odyssey Summit stem, as ugly as it is) and shorter bars. This will equate for a lighter and more durable set up (less chromoly tubing and just a smidge more light-weight Aluminum alloy.)

Remember that (approximately..)
12mm of Stem Rise = 1/2"
24mm of Stem Rise = 1"
You can also get a taller headset cap or add spacers to raise it up even more (if your forks will allow.)

TLDR; Unless you are already maxed out on stem/fork height, I wouldn't recommend getting 9.5-10" bars (unless you have serious back problems at the age of 15?)
And if you do decide to get massive bars, get ones built with straight gauge tubing so they dont bend/snap from all the leverage.

And I really recommend looking into a smaller set up. Big things tend to be comfortable, but actually get in the way of learning tricks & maximizing bunny hop height, etc. I'm 6'1" with long legs and more health problems than I'd like to admit, and feel right at home on a 21.2" frame with 9.25" bars. & I can ride said bike for 12hrs a day without hitting my knee or feeling uncomfortable. Not to mention a smaller set up would also be lighter lol.

I get what you're saying. My stem at the moment is 35mm rise and I had my headset spacers maxed (I took some out today to see how shorter bars might feel)

Also about a smaller setup being lighter. My old setup was an absolute tank and it felt fine since it was small, the longer frame makes heaviness feel even heavier. The main reason I want a lighter front end is to help with pulling up and hop manuals

|

8/23/2019 11:19 AM

A longer frame makes it “feel” heavier because it’s harder to move around. It doesn’t mean it is heavier, and a few grams on some bars won’t make a noticeable difference. I still think it’s your posture on the bike more than anything. You should be able to ride a smaller set up without hitting your knees. I can ride my sons bike without hitting my knees, it has a 20” tt and 8.25 bars with a frontload.....

|

8/25/2019 2:47 PM

Going to a 21.8 would make sense if you were a lot taller. What frame did you have that you swapped for this thing?

|

8/26/2019 5:46 AM

streethack wrote:

Going to a 21.8 would make sense if you were a lot taller. What frame did you have that you swapped for this thing?

21tt doomsayer, with slightly grinded down dropouts (I was like 1mm away from being able to slam my wheel)

|

8/26/2019 7:55 AM

streethack wrote:

Jessentis wrote:

21tt doomsayer, with slightly grinded down dropouts (I was like 1mm away from being able to slam my wheel)

That’s one of the most responsive frames on the market. Pretty much any frame will feel a bit harder to throw around

|

8/26/2019 7:20 PM

streethack wrote:

Jessentis wrote:

Swapping the right thing for the wrong thing is part of the learning experience for kids laughing

|