Lighten up my bike

Related:
Create New Tag

3/3/2008 2:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2008 2:34 PM

anyone got any good ideas on lightening up my bike. its 30lb flat and i need it lighter. wat part should i get to lighten it up most besides the frame?

|

3/3/2008 3:22 PM

sprocket.. handle bars..smaller seat post.. lighter cranks

|

3/3/2008 3:46 PM

definitely the wheels, and smaller sprocket, cranks, and maybe bars, and cut your seat post down for now

|

Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2008 3:47 PM

ima rider wrote:

yeh... i keep my seat against the collar of the frame, so i cut like 85% of my post off... i dropped like 1.5 lbs i think.... also, get some lighter rims maybe... what kind of bike is it?
its the little things that count...

|

ima rider wrote:

yeh... i keep my seat against the collar of the frame, so i cut like 85% of my post off... i dropped like 1.5 lbs i think.... also, get some lighter rims maybe... what kind of bike is it?

|

3/3/2008 4:03 PM

the dk bikes are beefy as hell, i have an eight pack. I bought a new sprocket, ordered a new stem, and thats it. Its still ike 29-30 pounds. But i like a little wieght, i cant stand a bike that feels like its going to break when i get on it. I don't run a gyro, maybe that would help, you could just get a linear cable, those pedals definately weigh a lot, so maybe find some lighter pedals, but definately go for the sprocket, that iron cross is heavy as hell.

|

3/3/2008 4:13 PM

its a dk cleveland
pretty heavy for my size
and it doesnt have pegs

|

3/3/2008 4:17 PM

get some new forks, stock forks are pretty heavy on most bikes and try getting some lighter wheels. but for that price may as well get a lighter frame casue that will take a good 3 or 4 pounds off it

|

I burn skateboards

3/3/2008 4:25 PM

Plastic pedals, smaller chainwheel, cut your seat post, new fork, or if u have the money just get a new bike

|

My refs ?... Nigga just ask about me

3/3/2008 4:31 PM

2funny4u wrote:

Plastic pedals, smaller chainwheel, cut your seat post, new fork, or if u have the money just get a new bike

nah dont have the money 4 a new bike
i think ill try the pedals, smaller sprocket, and cuttin my seatpost down

|

3/3/2008 4:51 PM

straight cable, plastic pedals, trim ur seat post, or get rid of ur brakes and ride brakeless, like me

|

eat. sleep. ride.

3/4/2008 6:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 4:00 PM

yeh, i just started bmx, and between my motorcross and rc racing, funding this new hobby was difficult, i have a redline t&t romp. (it was cheep). with s&m bars, forks, and smaller gearing, and a cut down seat post, it went from like 30 pounds, to about 24....

|

3/4/2008 6:50 AM

Put some secret Holes in the bike. may be a couple in the drop outs of the fork and frame, Bottom Bottom brakets.

|

3/4/2008 3:05 PM

i have a friend who drilled wholes between every 2 spokes on his rim it got a lil bit lighter

|

I ride in tight pants and what :]]

3/4/2008 3:28 PM

Definitely drill holes in your rims. It is up to you if you drill all the way through though, weakens them quite a bit if you drill through both walls. forks and cranks will make the biggest difference them bitches weigh a lot, I bet buying new forks and cranks will take off about 2 pounds depending one how much you spend.

|

3/4/2008 3:31 PM

saw off your toptube on your frame and handlebar crossbar...it saves like two pounds.

|

this machine kills fascists

[LINK TO IMAGE]

3/4/2008 3:49 PM

take your grips off, barends, seat/post/clamp, tires & tubes, take out all the bolts except just barely enough to keep things tight, saw your crossbar off and cut your bars so its just enough to get your hands on, seat tube, seat stays, top tupe, shave your axles down, and drill large holes everywhere, that should drop a few pounds off your bike

|

3/4/2008 3:56 PM

take your grips off, barends, seat/post/clamp, tires & tubes, take out all the bolts except just barely enough to keep things tight, saw your crossbar off and cut your bars so its just enough to get your hands on, seat tube, seat stays, top tupe, shave your axles down, and drill large holes everywhere, that should drop a few pounds off your bike

|

3/4/2008 4:02 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I hope your not serious because if you did all that you couldnt even call that a bike

|

I burn skateboards

3/4/2008 4:02 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I hope your not serious because if you did all that you couldnt even call that a bike

|

I burn skateboards

3/4/2008 4:28 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Theshadwcnspracy wrote:

yes im dead serious.

|

3/4/2008 5:37 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Theshadwcnspracy wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

yes im dead serious.

yeah he's serious...it was originally my idea. i just hacked off my toptube with a pipecutter and it did wonders. my bike is so light now and nofooted can cans are so easy. i saved like two pounds. you should try it!!!!

|

this machine kills fascists

[LINK TO IMAGE]

3/4/2008 5:51 PM

i wouldnt cut or drill holes man u dont kno if it will work on ur bike just well if u have some short ammount of money get a animal pivotal seat combo and like some p-lyte tires and maybe new cranks and u will lose some ammount of weight on ur bike

|

3/4/2008 6:12 PM

if your a not hard on your bike you could even go with aq lighter fork too

|

3/5/2008 1:06 AM

a pivitol stump post and sim seat will save a fair amount of weight over an old steel post and bulky seat setup

|

Ride Fast, Fly High
Live, Love, Flow, Die

3/5/2008 1:21 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

lets see you bike kid

|

3/5/2008 1:35 PM

drill holes in all your parts. That should drop a pound or two.

|

O_o

3/5/2008 2:21 PM

dude dont drill holes in any part of ur bike thats retarded it will make ur bike look and ride like shit. but yeah diff chainwheel/sprocket cut off most of the seat post mayby even just tape it to the frame. and try to geta new back rim. but go breakles!!!!! it will take off bout a pound 1/2 with that gyro.

|

3/14/2009 2:37 AM

The easiest things to do is just cut the seatpost, use a 3/8'' front axle.

|

Haro Steel Reserve 1.1

11/2/2009 9:25 AM

drill holes in your bars under the grips, it'll void the warranty on em probably but it saves weight
cut down your axles
if you have big bars cut down about an inch off each side
cut the seatpost off your frame
cut down your seatpost(not the one on the frame) to a nub
get plasic pedals
get plastic pegs if you run pegs
get lighter forks

|