Lighten your bike

Related:
Create New Tag

8/14/2020 12:39 PM

Does anyone lighten there bikes? i have a couple of BMXs one is quite heavy, i started to drill out the cranks to shave of a bit of weight, Has anyone else done anything like that. I was a mechanical engineer before i retired. so i have a good idea about how much i can drill stuff out. Its never going to be as light as the best bike but gives me something to play with when not riding.

|

8/14/2020 1:03 PM

Del wrote:

Does anyone lighten there bikes? i have a couple of BMXs one is quite heavy, i started to drill out the cranks to shave of a bit of weight, Has anyone else done anything like that. I was a mechanical engineer before i retired. so i have a good idea about how much i can drill stuff out. Its never going to be as light as the best bike but gives me something to play with when not riding.

Best way to lighten your bike is reducing wheel weight: lighter tires , tubes, hubs, spokes, and rims...

|

8/14/2020 1:24 PM

pnfdog wrote:

Best way to lighten your bike is reducing wheel weight: lighter tires , tubes, hubs, spokes, and rims...

Just a bit of killing time,

|

8/14/2020 2:59 PM

This was a trend in the 00's. There's a reason it isn't anymore. Drilling out parts won't mean jack if you still have heavy tubes and tires.

|





8/14/2020 3:32 PM

All in the wheels, rotational weight is the key factor.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

8/14/2020 8:27 PM

It is all about bottom bracket weight. Those new air bearings are where its at. Also, go to the party store, take your seat off, put helium in your frame, then put your seat back on. You can do the same with your tubes. Works miracles, I swear.

|

8/14/2020 9:58 PM

SoCalShreds wrote:

It is all about bottom bracket weight. Those new air bearings are where its at. Also, go to the party store, take your seat off, put helium in your frame, then put your seat back on. You can do the same with your tubes. Works miracles, I swear.

I thought you were being serious

|

U WOT M9

8/14/2020 11:58 PM

SoCalShreds wrote:

It is all about bottom bracket weight. Those new air bearings are where its at. Also, go to the party store, take your seat off, put helium in your frame, then put your seat back on. You can do the same with your tubes. Works miracles, I swear.

🤣🤣

|