Lightweight vs Heavyweight bikes

Related:
Create New Tag

2/8/2020 10:23 AM

My bike is pretty heavy, but I’ve gotten used to it and it makes it feel like it’s a solid monster (which it is). However, my tyres are wearing out and I was thinking for my new set to spice things up with Cult tyres since they are good for dirt, street, park, and anything you throw at it.. They are super lightweight though.. is a lighter bike more beneficial? Or should I just stick in my comfortable zone?

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

2/8/2020 11:25 AM

I built up a new bike the other day for 2020. It’s super light with a lot of titanium parts. It’s completely changed how my bike Feels

|

2/8/2020 11:43 AM

get <2.30 tires. they make the bike feel a lot lighter not to mention less groggy and more responsive.

|

2/8/2020 12:37 PM

falloftroy20 wrote:

get <2.30 tires. they make the bike feel a lot lighter not to mention less groggy and more responsive.

2.3 has the exact opposite affect lol. They are wider. So you your bike doesn’t turn as sharp or responsive lol.

There is a reason I ride a 2.1 and 1.85

|

2/8/2020 12:43 PM

Mulletsnax wrote:

2.3 has the exact opposite affect lol. They are wider. So you your bike doesn’t turn as sharp or responsive lol.

<2.30 = less than 2.30 wink

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/8/2020 1:10 PM

falloftroy20 wrote:

Mulletsnax wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Actually it's > 2.30 = less than..

x > 2.3 is greater
x < 2.3 is lesser

Anyways, I'm not really talking about the tyre sizes guys.

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

2/8/2020 1:16 PM

falloftroy20 wrote:

Mulletsnax wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

I didn’t see the sign before 2.3. I thought he meant 2.3 exactly. My apologies

|

2/8/2020 1:22 PM

SlavBMX wrote:

Actually it's > 2.30 = less than..

x > 2.3 is greater
x < 2.3 is lesser

Anyways, I'm not really talking about the tyre sizes guys.

The first 2 lines contradict each other. The open side of the symbol goes to the larger value and the pointed side goes to the smaller value.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/8/2020 1:25 PM

It's pretty damn simple
"<" means less than
">" means greater than

|

2/8/2020 1:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/8/2020 1:29 PM

Undesemin wrote:

It's pretty damn simple
"<" means less than
">" means greater than

It changes depending on which side of the symbol the value being compared is on. wink

1<2>1

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

2/8/2020 1:29 PM

For your style of riding, which I got a taste of when you sent in clips, I wouldn't run too skinny of a tire. XD

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

2/8/2020 1:34 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

It changes depending on which side of the symbol the value being compared is on. wink

1<2>1

Only if you're reading it backwards

|

2/8/2020 1:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/8/2020 1:41 PM

Undesemin wrote:

I'd use them interchangeably; just the way I was taught.

x<2 is functionally the same as 2>x

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

2/8/2020 1:52 PM

op, which cult tires are you referring to? The vans ones?

|

2/8/2020 3:26 PM

went from a 21 pound bike to a 29 pound bike , my bike doesn’t break all the time anymore , I feel no difference in trick capability and I feel more strong

|

2/8/2020 3:32 PM

readybmxer wrote:

For your style of riding, which I got a taste of when you sent in clips, I wouldn't run too skinny of a tire. XD

Soo... He got some bangers in the edit then?

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?
Instagram: @theothermaj

2/8/2020 6:11 PM

Um, cult vans tires aren't lightweight. Anyways light bikes can do various things to your riding. If you want to go light go light in the wheels (rotational weight blah blah blah, I'm sure you've heard it)

|

2/8/2020 8:20 PM

eskimojay wrote:

went from a 21 pound bike to a 29 pound bike , my bike doesn’t break all the time anymore , I feel no difference in trick capability and I feel more strong

Went from a 40 lb bike to an 20 lb bike. Huge difference in balance, spin, and trick capability, but I feel like it's gonna break if I park too hard. It's held up though, so far.

|

2/8/2020 8:23 PM

eskimojay wrote:

MJbmx wrote:

Went from a 40 lb bike to an 20 lb bike. Huge difference in balance, spin, and trick capability, but I feel like it's gonna break if I park too hard. It's held up though, so far.

the fuck were you riding before, a 2006 Diamondback Venom?

|

2/8/2020 8:40 PM

I personally love light tires! Makes the bike feel way more able to control. Imo

|

2/9/2020 3:19 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I personally love light tires! Makes the bike feel way more able to control. Imo

then you hit the streets and, POP!! lol nice while they last im sure.

|

2/9/2020 7:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2020 7:15 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

Light tires don’t pop very easily if you run 100 psi

|

2/9/2020 7:57 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

1<2>1

Undesemin wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

I'd use them interchangeably; just the way I was taught.

x<2 is functionally the same as 2>x

Technically he’s right but that’s only from a mathematical perspective, not an English perspective.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

2/9/2020 7:58 AM

eskimojay wrote:

MJbmx wrote:

falloftroy20 wrote:

Literally anything 2006 and before weighed about 40 lbs. My dyno detour 2001 weighed about 36 lbs because of how beefy the parts were

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

2/9/2020 8:39 AM

falloftroy20 wrote:

1998-ish Mosh Worm. Just under 39 lbs, but at that point who's counting. Over sized double thick triple butted everything, plate droupouts over sized for hub guards, triple wall 48's, even the bars are extra phat. Built like a brick shithouse, and with a 16" backend (slammed) it rides like one to.

Photo

Photo

|

2/9/2020 8:55 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

Literally anything 2006 and before weighed about 40 lbs. My dyno detour 2001 weighed about 36 lbs because of how beefy the parts were

I had a '94 Dyno Slammer that I think was just under 30 lbs, but I never weighted it. Manufacturer's went nuts in the late '90s, early 2000's. I blame "Rooftop" Escamilla.

|

2/9/2020 12:31 PM

Undesemin wrote:

op, which cult tires are you referring to? The vans ones?

Yea, my buddy got a pair and his bike was way lighter after the switch.. Idk if it's gonna let more tyre troubles on the streets to occur, because my Sunday Sweepers hold up to everything and only popped the tyre twice ever.

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

2/9/2020 1:20 PM

SlavBMX wrote:

Yea, my buddy got a pair and his bike was way lighter after the switch.. Idk if it's gonna let more tyre troubles on the streets to occur, because my Sunday Sweepers hold up to everything and only popped the tyre twice ever.

I've never personally had a pair, but I've heard from friends who have ridden them that they wear out pretty quick. Also, I'm pretty sure they weigh like around 25 - 26 ounces a tire, which isn't necessarily lightweight, it's a pretty normal weight. Hopefully someone who has actually ridden them can give their input, but from what I've heard, I'd probably go with a different tire.

Also, falloftroy had a good point about tire size. A skinnier tire will feel lighter and more responsive even if it's the same weight as a fatter tire. I've found that around 2.2 - 2.25 is a nice sweet spot, where it still feels responsive, but it's fat enough to absorb impacts well. I've had a good experience with bsd donnasqueaks in 2.25. They're not heavy, they feel great, and they're durable.

|

2/9/2020 3:20 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

Flats are no fun...I do get flats of course but I carry extra tubes with me if I plan on an all day street session. smile

|

2/9/2020 4:26 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Flats are no fun...I do get flats of course but I carry extra tubes with me if I plan on an all day street session. smile

Yea I think this is pushing me to just keep my tyres as I never bring any extra tubes with me and I never experience any flats as my homies always do.

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me