Logical Rim Idea? (Diagram Pic Included)

Related:
Create New Tag

11/10/2013 4:40 PM

So on my way home from the skate park I went to this new Starbucks that has not even been open for even a month’s time yet, to go grab a mocha and as I was heading there, I look at my rear rim and seeing as that it is a single wall rim, I thought to myself “hmm... I wonder how you could make a strong single walled rim”

Then it dawned upon me, and I figured why not make a THICKER single walled rim, thickness in terms of the rim being thicker on the area where the spokes go, thick enough to recess those areas so the rim spoke does not puncture the tube and to where the spoke nipple sits clean enough to where it gets even more out of the way.

I think with a thicker single walled rim, and with the correct process you could effectively make a double wall strength rim, but cheaper and who knows, maybe even lighter, but most of all simpler and stronger

The diagram shows how this would come into play

The spoke nipple is sunken into the rim and the part where it sinks in is double thick
>The red dotted lines symbolize where the spokes get dropped in and sit at.
>The grey spots symbolize the solid aluminum where it shows how thick it is

Photo

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

11/10/2013 4:49 PM

Cool idea, but I bet this exists.

|

11/10/2013 4:50 PM

Garnished wrote:

Cool idea, but I bet this exists.

yeah true, probably does, but i have not heard of this idea, like.....EVER, probably for mountain and road bikes but not bmx

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

11/11/2013 12:25 AM

Needs mooooar triangulation bro.

|

11/11/2013 12:59 AM

Won't be as strong as a double/triple wall and it will weigh more. So in effect not a great idea

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

11/11/2013 1:27 AM

Gump wrote:

Won't be as strong as a double/triple wall and it will weigh more. So in effect not a great idea

Could be a good idea for say stock bikes, or a budget rim

looks like a neat idea, but the nipple holes should be closer together, unless you have it pictured like that just to show spokes on both sides

|

11/11/2013 4:55 AM

Propably wouldn't be as stiff as double walled rim

|

11/11/2013 7:14 AM

Hmm, not a bad idea. Theoretically, this would work very well. Would it be pinned or welded? if it is welded itll be very strong, pins, not so much. Only real problem is the weight. That rim would be a tank. haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

11/11/2013 8:24 AM

That would weigh a lot more than a Double/Triple Walled Rim. And it wouldn't necessarily be stronger.

|

11/11/2013 11:44 AM

So thicken one wall to make up for not having the second? Two walls would be lighter and just as or even stronger.

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

11/11/2013 1:44 PM

I run single wall up front i have for about three years but granted its an overbuilt one (sun black box)

I always had an idea in my head where the rim strip was slightly thicker than the protruding nipple heads, but had recessed holes for the heads to sit in snug, creating one smooth surface with no spoke puncture possibility.

|