London Mod Cable Options

Related:
Create New Tag

3/16/2018 8:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/16/2018 8:45 AM

So, I'm adding a "London Mod" for my gyro setup. As for cables, I see Kink seems to have a dual cable/London Mod lower cable (https://www.albes.com/kink-lower-gyro-BMX-cable/). My question is, has anyone used this cable (Kink)? If so, was it a pretty straight forward install.... "plug & play", so to speak? Or would I be better off just getting/making a London Mod piece (https://www.albes.com/mission-dual-cable-stop/) & using a couple Linear cables? If this is the case, do you just slide the cable end in the gyro & fasten the other end to the brake or...?

|

3/16/2018 8:45 AM

I’ve only ever used the Odyssey one with two slic cables. Takes a bit more tweaking than a Y cable, cause you have to equal out the tension and length on each side.

|

3/16/2018 8:47 AM

Here goes....

M2 lever and upper cable
Photo

into G3 Gyro
Photo

i wasn’t able to find Odyssey slic cables in chrome so I used the housing from a linear slic and inner cable with gyro end(ball thingy) from a regular slic cable

I then used a Vocal Dual cable guide to keep it tidy rather than using table or a strap. Into a Odyssey London Mod fitted as expected.
Photo

all I did at the rear was use the off cuts of cable housing, used the remaining cable ends and ran it after the London Mod. For no other reason than the look and to keep it clean. I tried to cross them behind the seat tube but couldn’t get it right. Gave up and left them straight into the brake.
Photo

It took a bit of time and cutting with my dremel but works a treat and looks nice so I’m happy.

Hope this helps brother!

|

If you build it, they will come

3/16/2018 8:52 AM

You can use any cables with ball-ends with the London mods. Just cut them to size as you would with any other cable. The cables that have the large cylinder ends won't work since the end doesn't fit in the detangler.

It's all pretty self explanatory if you know how to work on brakes. Cable sits in the barrel adjusters on both ends, ball-end sits in the detangler, & removable lugs on the rear end of the cable, sitting in the u-brake.

As for the mod itself, I always preferred the Stolen Knuckles for simplicity and looks. It actually bolts straight into the frame instead of to a brake mount.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/16/2018 9:17 AM

LS1982 wrote:

Here goes....

M2 lever and upper cable
Photo

into G3 Gyro
Photo

i wasn’t able to find Odyssey slic cables in chrome so I used the ...more

This dude knows what's up.

When I ran a gyro I did literally the same thing, and made the cross behind the seat tube work as it pulls the brake arms along their axis, causing a smoother and stronger pull.

Aside from that, my setup differed in that I used derailleur cable housing and derailleur cables for the lowers (way cheaper) and I literally put Bike Aid Dry Moly Lube down the housing until it dripped out of the bottom and greased the cables themselves.

My frame doesn't allow a gyro, so it will be drill the HT or straight cable it if I want a rear stopper.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/16/2018 9:42 AM

LS1982 wrote:

Here goes....

M2 lever and upper cable
Photo

into G3 Gyro
Photo

i wasn’t able to find Odyssey slic cables in chrome so I used the ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

When I ran a gyro I did literally the same thing, and made the cross behind the seat tube work as ...more

Dave....I actually think it was your build images that inspired me to run the cable housing past the London mod. I salute you!

|

3/16/2018 12:17 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

When I ran a gyro I did literally the same thing, and made the cross behind the seat tube work as ...more

How were the derailleur cables as brake cables (they tend to be thinner gauge than brake cables)? I thought about using them as well but I was curious to any sort of extra flex due to the thinner gauge.

|

3/16/2018 12:25 PM

The real question is - does this work? I installed a gyro last year and have gotten used to the slightly mushier brake feel . Does this bring back the crisp single cable feel?

|

New tech can't beat old school cool...or can it?
1987 O.O.S. Redline RL20II (Old Old Stock - this ain't no museum piece kids!)
2012 Norco Deviant
1996 GT Avalanche LE w/ Full 2002 XT upgrade and NE Total Air MZO fork

3/16/2018 12:30 PM

Oldguyjon wrote:

The real question is - does this work? I installed a gyro last year and have gotten used to the slightly mushier brake feel . ...more

I've heard that is certainly helps. I don't know that you could ever get the exact same "crisp feel" of a brake with a straight cable, but with fewer "joints" & double the cable to take the pulling force it's supposed to be substantially better.

Dave? LS?

|

3/16/2018 12:54 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I've heard that is certainly helps. I don't know that you could ever get the exact same "crisp feel" of a brake with a ...more

I’ve been playing with my brakes for a couple of weeks. The thing that has made the most difference is having enough room for the gyro to travel. My new forks have a longer steerer and it’s given me way more adjustability. It feels powerful and I’m used to riding disc brakes.

Gyro definitely takes more fine tuning than a straight cable but I think dual cables feel better than running a low gyro cable and hanger.
This video is pretty good for getting the basic set up right, the rest is down to fine tuning I guess
Gyro Setup

|

3/16/2018 12:59 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

How were the derailleur cables as brake cables (they tend to be thinner gauge than brake cables)? I thought about using them ...more

Never had an issue-I replaced them one time in something like 6 years when I changed the housing color from white to black.

As to the "mushier brake feel" question-if you set it up right it definitely makes it SO much less mushy compared to the split upper and lower cables. I've yet to get 100% to straight cable feel due to all the added friction (4 cables VS 1) but it all worked out well. I suggest getting some good lube for the cables/housing in any case, and I personally grease my inner wires when I install the setup (after cutting the housing to length).

Good brake spring tension is also key for smooth/non-mushy pull. If your springs suck and slowly pull the brake away from the wheel, it will feel worse. Make sure everything is well lubed (lol).

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/16/2018 10:55 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

So, I'm adding a "London Mod" for my gyro setup. As for cables, I see Kink seems to have a dual cable/London Mod lower cable ( ...more

Get stolen gyro cable guides and cut two linear cables to length

|

3/16/2018 11:00 PM

|