Long Post Alert: "I did those b4 I got hurt"

Related:
Create New Tag

8/17/2014 3:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/17/2014 3:35 PM

This makes me mildly mad.
As a bmx rider that loves the sport and the fun that comes with it, it irritates me that people need to lie and make up bullshit stories about the 1080's they "used to do before they got hurt".

With the new school year started, we have been doing those "get to know eachother" things which isn't so bad. One of the kids asked me what happened to my leg and I told them that bmx happened. He then said: "Oh you ride bmx, I used to be sponsored but then I crashed doing a DOUBLE FRONT FLIP and dislocated my sholder and stopped riding". As a sophomore in Nebraska, where there are no foampits within a 200 mile radius, I HIGHLY doubt that he was doing dub fronties.

I have some dirt jumps in my backyard. They are nothing too big, but they are flowey and I have lots of fun on them. Before I was about to hit the line, some kids were walking by and one told me to do a backflip. I can't do those, and I told them such, to which they asked, "what can you do" and I said, these. I then hit the line and came back around to where they were and he said "I could do those too, but I got hurt and I don't ride anymore"

I would LOVE to have more people to ride with, but when they present themselves like that and come up with excuses not to ride, it ruins my vibe, just sayin'.

My point here is, if you are ever talking with someone, just be honest about the way you ride wink
Have any of you had this happen to you? I'd like to hear some more stories of "triple backflips"

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

8/17/2014 4:04 PM

"Oh you ride bmx, I used to be sponsored but then I crashed doing a DOUBLE FRONT FLIP and dislocated my sholder and stopped riding"

Yeah, we're aware of this person.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

8/17/2014 4:11 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

"Oh you ride bmx, I used to be sponsored but then I crashed doing a DOUBLE FRONT FLIP and dislocated my sholder and stopped riding"

Yeah, we're aware of this person.

goes to my school, lol

|

BIKE CHECK

8/17/2014 4:37 PM

I was at a park yesterday and a guy on a 26" bike claimed he could 540 and backflip but when we asked him to do it he could barely 180

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

8/17/2014 4:53 PM

Guy claimed he could do a toboggan 360, we asked him to do it, "I don't feel like it, plus, my shoulder hurts". It wasn't even a super crazy trick. And that guy that has that super nice bike he's always talking about, but "doesn't want to take it to the park".

|

8/17/2014 5:31 PM

I used to ride but then i fell and hurt my shoulder...m8

|

13 years old

8/17/2014 5:34 PM

In some people's defenses, it could be true.

I know a dude who was tailwhipping & 360ing 13 stairs, then he got hurt, and now doesn't ride. Maybe once or twice every two years. Last time I saw him out, he looked like he was struggling to 180.

there's video proof of him and how good he was too

|

8/17/2014 5:43 PM

K_A_N_E_ wrote:

I was at a park yesterday and a guy on a 26" bike claimed he could 540 and backflip but when we asked him to do it he could barely 180

I've rode with a bmx rider that could flip but he half cabed probably 1 out of 5 180s , but if this guy was on a 26 and could barely 180 I doubt he was doing 540s , some riders ride jumps for big tricks and don't bother with little stuff like 180s and vice versa

|

8/17/2014 5:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/17/2014 5:52 PM

Yeah, it could be true, but the way they mention it is important I believe. It's possible to get it across that they used to be able to do *insert crazy trick* without coming across as disrespectful. If they are simply bragging or trying to 1 up you in front of other people then fuck them because that's just rude and childish. As you grow up and mature I would think people typically grow out of this type of thing or see why it's just simply uncool and makes them look like a tool.

I sometimes just don't acknowledge what they are saying when that happens. If anything that would make them feel silly if nobody even responds to it and continues doing whatever they are doing (while they sit there stroking their RL-peen.) Sometimes they want people to be like, "WOAH dude really? Tell me more about how interesting you are!" Attention whores.

|

8/17/2014 5:59 PM

Some people can handle and move forward after serious injuries and some can't , I nearly died from a brain hemorrhage and have dislocated vertebrae in my spine and pinched all the nerves , took me about a year to get back where I was but now I'm riding harder then I was before those injuries , people are different

|

8/17/2014 6:05 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Some people can handle and move forward after serious injuries and some can't , I nearly died from a brain hemorrhage and have dislocated vertebrae in my spine and pinched all the nerves , took me about a year to get back where I was but now I'm riding harder then I was before those injuries , people are different

This exactly.

I'm currently dealing with a herniated disc, and while it's setting me back not being able to ride.. All I can think about is getting back to shredding. The time off the bike not doing what I used to do is shitty, but I'd rather it heal up than it get worse and not be able to ride again or something.

I'm sure in like 50 some years when I'm physically unable to ride a bike or something, I'll be that old head talking to random dudes riding bmx and bring up when I used to ride and they'll all be like "yeah sure gramps" lolol

|

8/17/2014 8:49 PM

I used to be able to do toboggans. Then I worked all summer and didn't ride now I can't seem to get Tbogs or 3s back although everything else has come fairly smoothly.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

8/18/2014 1:40 PM

It can legit happen, it did with me when i came off after hitting a patch of diesel around 40mph, woke up still sliding and ripped a decent chunk from my toe and a little out of my foot, side, hands, basically all my left side was bloody. Now im overly cautious, hardly go fast anymore basic tricks, one footers, grinds etc. Rather than having no fear and riding whatever trying whatever. Although i wasnt flipping so not like i could brag.

|

8/18/2014 2:14 PM

Best I saw was a kid claiming to be able to flair, front flip to fakie, 360 flip to fakie and whips.

He couldn't bunny hop and didn't know what a quarterpipe was.

Or a kid who told me he snapped a steel frame, so he welded aluminum to it because aluminum "is stronger". I told him to patent that process because it is a new technique that NO ONE has ever done. He would be a millionaire sooo fast. He replied with "yea...I should do that..."

Most of the time I tell kids to stop lying. "I can do flips, I just don't want to" always gets "Why not?" And usually it is some BS reason, like "The jump is too small", but they won't even hit the jump because it is "too big".

I have no issue calling out liars.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/19/2014 9:27 AM

You gotta see the ones that are around here, 11 and look spoiled as fuck and can "do every trick better than you ten times better"

|

"It's like riding someone's bike and they got the same frame" -Four
Refs:Four x4,tomdon x5,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

8/19/2014 11:01 AM

I actually did get hurt and all it did is make me have to re-learn stuff. And it made me smoother because landing hard will hurt. Same with airing. Since airing is smoother i'm more comfortable doing that.

Work is what happened to me. Now that I work, i cherish my riding time. Anytime i get to ride i love it and try as hard as I can. I do hate when people say they can do these ridiculous things because it makes me wonder who they are trying to impress by saying that. I'm tired of being injured though, once i'm back to full capability i'm coming back way stronger and way harder. Hopefully driving will be rad this winter instead of shit like this winter. I'm probably gonna go to wheelmill a lot. It makes me ride better.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

8/19/2014 3:27 PM

Now I doubt your classmate or whatever did flips of any kind but it is possible that those kids walking by weren't lying to you. I've had my fair share of injuries and they suck but I wouldn't quit. I was SO close to getting clean 3s and then I over rotated once, landed on my shoulder, and hurt my bicep and tricep muscle for the second time. It's not a serious injury but it stops me from lifting things whenever it happens. So for about a month out of this summer, I didn't even do 3 taps. Now, I am fully healed and back at it again.

My friend was getting pretty close to tailwhips before he broke his neck but if he told you that, you probably wouldn't believe him. Sometimes you've just gotta go with the flow and say "Cool." when you're unsure whether someone is bullshitting you or not.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

8/19/2014 4:28 PM

I broke my collarbone real bad, almost out of the skin, and after 4-6 weeks, I was back riding.
just because I got hurt dosen't mean I can do flairs, then use my injury as an excuse not to do them...
I think as long as you love bmx and are dedicated to it, there is no reason why you couln't ride after your injury is healed, unless it is super serious like being paralyzed in any way or a brain injury. That's not to say you could come back 100% but you could still have some fun!
look at brett banasiewicz for instance. He's back on his bike. he may not be doing cash roll's but he is riding and having fun still

|

BIKE CHECK