Long-Term damage of BMX

Related:
Create New Tag

7/3/2017 10:09 AM

Okay so after this Dave Mirra thing it got me thinking, obviously concussions give you a bit of long term mind boggle.

But like what about your back and shit? BMX just seems so hard on your body man. I can skate after not skating for months and wake up fine. But a day of BMX after not riding for a while, my god. I can't fucking move.

Any of you old heads have a fucked up body? Especially huckin around those 40 pound bikes with the tiny bars, being all hunched over all the time. Insanity. I think now just the style people ride and the geo of a bike/weight, it definitely takes LESS of a toll on the body.

But picture a guy like Sean Burns, realistically speaking how long until that motherfucker can't even walk anymore?

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

7/3/2017 10:28 AM

I actually quit skating last year after 20 years of more broken bones then I can count, several surgeries, and concussions. I started biking again, and after the initial soreness of muscles readjusting, I think bmx is much, much easier on the body than skating. Maybe that's just me though. I just cannot physically skateboard anymore, although I'd love to my body just can't. Bmx seems easier on the joints, maybe not the back so much, but building muscles helps a lot. And with skating, you are guaranteed to fall several dozen times a session, while I rarely fall on my bike.

|

7/3/2017 10:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/3/2017 10:40 AM

It depends how well you look after your body off the bike. Obviously, accidents happen that can result in broken bones etc, and worse (Dave Mirra, Mike Aitken, and Scotty Cranmer are perfect examples of this).
But your average rider doesn't push themselves as hard as pro's. And if you look at the average age of riders, it's fairly young. Older guys seem to be riding longer and longer which is awesome. But look at what Matt Hoffman has been through!

I've knocked myself out a couple of times, and have cartilage and ligament damage to both knees. I've injured my back a few times. And I've got something wrong with my hips (which I believe started when I had bad growing pains as a kid, before I started riding). So I just chill when I ride. I look for weird things to do rather than go big or learn tricks. But, I don't really look after my body. I don't stretch, or exercise, or eat healthy.

I guess other older guys that do want to continue pushing themselves take much better care of their body. Eating better, stretching, yoga, exercise outside of riding etc can definitely help us keep going.
I keep meaning to eat better, and start running to work on my cardio. But when you work full time and have a family, it's hard to gain the motivation!

Edit just to add, most pro's see physical therapists fairly often, especially the guys that have had major injuries

|

7/3/2017 10:39 AM

Anybody who sends themselves like Sean Burns will be feeling it as they get older. For us average riders, I don't think it's all too bad. Like gallin said, after the soreness of the first few weeks, it's like any other sport.

|

7/3/2017 10:42 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

I actually quit skating last year after 20 years of more broken bones then I can count, several surgeries, and concussions. I ...more

I just cruise, piss around and do little stupid shit on a skateboard, I do ollies and lip tricks only basically. And 180's, but I ride mini cruisers only. So it's very laxed for me. But I agree on the wrecking can't. I'll trade damn near anything just for the fact I know I won't bail hard. All I do is hop off or take my feet off the pedals and walk it out. I never wreck tbh, but just like my main thing is wrists and back

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

7/3/2017 10:46 AM

Cte is going to fuck us all that's the big one, doesn't matter if our bodies are broken and we can't walk if we go demented and suicidal , bmx is a new sport and our generation will be the one to discover that

|

7/3/2017 12:01 PM

I cruise and have fun. You get to a point where you just know it is time to slow down, and do the things that are fun, rather than hucking yourself right into an ER visit.

Instead of trying to bar or truck everything, I do turndowns and lookbacks. I still do want to truck and bar everything, BUT I wait until I have a good session where I am warmed up, and then work up to it.

PADS are a HUGE factor in keeping yourself going longer. Pads are not "lame" or "stupid". Pads prevent major damages that will allow you to KEEP RIDING. As to warming up etc-takes me longer than it used to, same with when I fall-longer to get up.

As you get older you realize that not taking simple steps to protect yourself is a terrible choice. With all the crashing I've done I would not be able to walk if it wasn't for kneepads and a helmet.

Exercise enough to stay ahead of injuries, and find other avenues of cycling or other non-impact hobbies outside of riding so when the time comes to slow down or hang it up for a bit (injuries) you have things you can do. Jay Miron quit riding pretty much all together and builds furniture now. Rumor has it he rides on a rare occasion now, but he seems stoked on like per his Instagram.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/3/2017 2:53 PM

Spenlard wrote:

Okay so after this Dave Mirra thing it got me thinking, obviously concussions give you a bit of long term mind boggle.

But ...more

Fucked Knees from 8 years of Judo
Fucked Back from working as a mechanic
Fucked Shoulders from Boxing
Fucked hips from too much sex

Have done other action type sports off and on over the years but not noticed any issues arising from them, Generally the consensus is, Life will grind you down regardless so just go out and enjoy yourself.

|

7/3/2017 4:32 PM

weegaz22 wrote:

Fucked Knees from 8 years of Judo
Fucked Back from working as a mechanic
Fucked Shoulders from Boxing
Fucked hips from too ...more

I hear that, but the whole Dave Mirra being 41 and basically having severe dementia is more so what I'm getting at, that's not typically noorrrmal. I would like to live past 41 definitely lo0l, I mean I'm no Dave Mirra but if riding bmx meant dying at 41, I would reconsider haha. If it meant not walking past 45, I'd reconsider. That's mainly my argument or point or w/e lol. I get what you're saying definitely, but smashing face on pavement is a lil different a scenario.

Not saying those are definite results of riding lol I mean I've been riding 8 years or so, I'm committed. Just some food for thought

|

7/3/2017 7:04 PM

Spenlard wrote:

I hear that, but the whole Dave Mirra being 41 and basically having severe dementia is more so what I'm getting at, that's not ...more

If you take decent precautions, you won't be immobile at 45. If Hoffman is still going, it can be done. (Granted I think that is because he keeps going, and doesn't stop haha).

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/3/2017 7:20 PM

If you are really worried about your body then just take care of yourself. By that I mean when you get injured get proper medical treatment and give yourself time to heal. I never did that with my injuries and I'm paying for it now. Some of them would still be what they are but if I had taken proper care of my right ankle when I was younger I wouldn't need to have it fused now.

|

7/3/2017 7:23 PM

Oof, 20 odd years of skateboarding destroyed me so I switched to riding a BMX at the park. Figured I'd wreck the other bits of my body.

|

7/3/2017 7:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/3/2017 7:28 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

If you take decent precautions, you won't be immobile at 45. If Hoffman is still going, it can be done. (Granted I think that ...more

I mean, I don't ride nearly enough to get into a groove where I can just huck shit. This doesn't even exactly apply to me. Just those guys I see smokin' rollies on the street with a sprocket tattoo'd on their leg. Like 6 missing teeth, been riding about everydayish for 10+ . That has to be killer, and hell of a workout. Hoffman was also a park rat more so I feel like, I'm just thinking those dudes doing big roof drops and shit more so. Has to be killer on da joints. I know a guy who was that dude locally, watched him smash out like 3 teeth and concuss the hell out of himself doing a big gap to flat that, like that cannot be good aha

|

7/3/2017 7:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/3/2017 7:43 PM

Spenlard wrote:

I mean, I don't ride nearly enough to get into a groove where I can just huck shit. This doesn't even exactly apply to me. ...more

Hoffman was one of the first dudes to hit a handrail ever...and on top of that, falling 20+ feet to flat on vert is not soft. Not to mention that he has like 40 years of BMX under his belt, including multiple high air records. He put a weedwacker motor on a bmx to keep speed in a 20 foot vert ramp and dumped it, causing his spleen to rupture which almost killed him. He did doubles vert with DMC like a year or two ago, and DMC got bars punched into his gut when they slammed-he got wrecked too.

When he set a new air record in like 2000, he dumped it, broke his DOT CERTIFIED full face and split his lip to his chin, knocking himself out. Like he broke the motorcycle helmet and mashed his face.

I wouldn't say park rat is the right word, but I see your point.

I wish more people would understand park and vert can be just as damaging and dangerous as street.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/3/2017 7:50 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Hoffman was one of the first dudes to hit a handrail ever...and on top of that, falling 20+ feet to flat on vert is not soft. ...more

It is, but not until you wreck, street always hurts. I would much rather hit a box jump and a stairset as far as the joints are concerned.

The mental image from those injuries was not good ah imagine one of those 6 lbs pegs to the head

|

7/3/2017 8:17 PM

I'll admit i'm a little concerned about my brain. I knocked myself out trying to ride down the side of a stadium arch last november and i did notice a difference in my personality afterwards. I had bigger mood swings, a shorter temper, and i would constantly forget words. It got better with time, but i have also hit my head like three times since then hard enough that i probably got concussed again. And yes i wear a certified helmet when i ride. After the last hard hit to my head i thought i was fine because i had my helmet on, but the next day i got a headache that didn't go away for over three weeks. It was a minor headache but it was always there. I also mix up the first letters of words when i'm talking a lot. Like i'll say "gump that jap" instead of "jump that gap" then i'll have to correct myself. Before i got knocked out last year i would almost never mix something like that up, but now it happens to me regularly. It's pretty funny sometimes but it does scare me a little. But yeah, i'm sure i already have long term damage from riding. Being only 17 i'm sure it's just gonna get worse, but it's not like i'm gonna stop riding. Hopefully i can stop hitting my head tho...

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

7/3/2017 10:38 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

I'll admit i'm a little concerned about my brain. I knocked myself out trying to ride down the side of a stadium arch last ...more

Look into a helmet with MIPS, it'll help imo

|

7/4/2017 12:58 AM

when you get old, your body will hurt.

|