Looking To Purchase BMX bike - bigger guy

Related:
Create New Tag

7/25/2013 8:02 PM

What's up, I'm looking to purchase my 1st BMX bike since I was about 15/16 years old-ish. I wanna get back into biking, I remember how much fun I had the years back when I had my Mongoose and Schwinn BMX bikes haha. I have always loved the style of BMX bikes and now that I'm a bit older and can purchase a nice bike. Thing is, I don't know if I can find a bike that will fit me. I'm 6'2 now and roughly around 250-260. I'm not really too fond of these bigger type of BMX Bikes but those 20'' still look sick! Any advice? Would a bigger guy like me fit on one of those BMX bikes?Photo
|

7/25/2013 8:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2013 8:09 PM

I'd say build a custom if money isn't a huge issue and you really want to ride and commit to it man. They're alot stronger and you can bike everything out to your specifications and not replace shit constantly. It's a lot more expensive too unless you build one with used parts.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

7/25/2013 8:15 PM

Yeah. I was thinking of just starting out on something decently affordable, looks nice, and is pretty durable. Just wanna get back into it for a while I continue working out to slim down so it's less force on the bike. Then, in about 6 months or so I wanna get a custom build (that is once I'm comfortable and build up my bike-part IQ)

|

7/25/2013 8:18 PM

Big-C wrote:

Yeah. I was thinking of just starting out on something decently affordable, looks nice, and is pretty durable. Just wanna get back into it for a while I continue working out to slim down so it's less force on the bike. Then, in about 6 months or so I wanna get a custom build (that is once I'm comfortable and build up my bike-part IQ)

Yeah I feel ya man. What's your price range?

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

7/25/2013 8:26 PM

Look for a frame with a toptube of 21" or 21.25", maybe even a 21.5" top tube if you want a really big bike. I personally ride a 21.25 and I'm 6'5

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

7/25/2013 9:00 PM

@Four: Price range, roughly around 200-325ish

@Collin: Definitely gonna take note of that. Stopping by the bike store on my way home from work tomorrow. Thanks.

|

7/25/2013 9:11 PM

It depends, you could stick to a 20 inch, and build to your size, or ride a 24 inch which will be bigger overall.

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.
Flacko put 'em in the dirt.

7/25/2013 9:25 PM

I'm about the same size, man, just two inches shorter. I started out getting a complete that I thought I would be able to ride for a while, but, after a short time realized I didn't like most of it. So two months after I spent $1100 on a bike, I spent $700 more starting the custom build I have now. Hit up Craigslist and get you a good used. One for a few hundred, then start a custom. Or, you can shell out the $989 for a Sunday Soundwave special from Danscomp, and have a pretty sweet complete that should hold up for a good while, but the chances are good you won't like the size of the setup since you're not a little guy.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

7/25/2013 9:36 PM

The problem is you're price range keeps you from finding a bike that will fit you.

|

7/25/2013 9:49 PM

. 21" or bigger TT & big bars.

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

7/25/2013 10:00 PM

If I was to open up my price range what would I be lookin at?

|

7/25/2013 10:04 PM

Big-C wrote:

If I was to open up my price range what would I be lookin at?

You can get a good bike for around 500-600

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

7/25/2013 10:56 PM

Yeah I just need to do some heavy research on some of these bikes and the parts for them. I'm real new to the "genuine" BMX bikes I'm used to that trash from wal mart. Gonna do some scanning around the site for some type of "beginner" thread

|

7/25/2013 11:04 PM

I just made a thread for "newbies"! Read up and let it guide you

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.
Flacko put 'em in the dirt.