Looking for 28T sprocket for Odyssey Thunderbolt (socket drive) cranks

Related:
Create New Tag

9/22/2018 5:38 PM

Looking for a 28T sprocket with built-in bash guard for socket drive cranks (Odyssey Thunderbolt). Will the Odyssey Million Dollar sprocket work with these cranks?

Thanks in advance.

|

9/22/2018 6:53 PM

Nope, the MDS won't work because it's bolt drive and not using the Socket Drive interface.

|

Always movin'

9/22/2018 7:01 PM

https://www.sourcebmx.com/Mobile/us/us/Mutiny-Obscura-Socket-Drive-Guard-Sprocket/m-m-32206.aspx

Disclaimer: I’ve never owned any Mutiny parts, or bought off that website.

|

9/22/2018 7:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/22/2018 7:44 PM

Cool, thanks guys.

The confusing thing is that I asked this question on the Amazon page that sells the Million Dollar sprocket. An owner of that sprocket responded saying "yes, I have this exact setup" (Odyssey Thunderbolt cranks + Million Dollar sprocket). Not sure what's up with that, but clearly he's got something messed up. I'll look around for the Mutiny 28T.

|

9/22/2018 8:12 PM

arewolfe wrote:

Cool, thanks guys.

The confusing thing is that I asked this question on the Amazon page that sells the Million Dollar ...more

He just has regular cranks, not Socket Drive. It's pretty hard to find Socket Drive sprockets now, especially guarded ones. The only two ever made were the Mutiny one and Odyssey's La Guardia. I can't find the La Guardia in stock, so it looks like the Mutiny sprocket is your only option.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

9/22/2018 8:17 PM

arewolfe wrote:

Cool, thanks guys.

The confusing thing is that I asked this question on the Amazon page that sells the Million Dollar ...more

Xxohioanxx wrote:

He just has regular cranks, not Socket Drive. It's pretty hard to find Socket Drive sprockets now, especially guarded ones. ...more

I'm retarded -- I said "Million Dollar sprocket" when I meant the La Guardia. Here's the link to that item on the Amazon page I mentioned (erroneously titled "Odyssey La Guardia Grips"):

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K1G8QE0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

|

9/22/2018 8:20 PM

arewolfe wrote:

I'm retarded -- I said "Million Dollar sprocket" when I meant the La Guardia. Here's the link to that item on the Amazon page ...more

Amazon's item names are usually a bit off, but unfortunately that sprocket will not work with the Socket Drive cranks. Socket Drive parts are really quite rare, so your best bet is to either settle for the Mutiny sprocket (In stock at Empire, I believe) or try to find another Socket Drive sprocket without a guard.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

9/22/2018 8:23 PM

Cool man, thanks. I'm going to hope the picture is wrong on Amazon and that maybe it arrives as a socket drive -- can usually return free or relatively cheap with Prime if it turns out to be spline drive as pictured.

I ordered it from Empire too a little while ago. Will see which one looks best, I wanted black and they only have silver.

|

9/23/2018 6:53 PM

Odyssey MDS v1 SD (they did exist at one point)
Odyssey MDS v2 La Gardia SD (discontinued)
Mutiny Pentaguard SD (discontinued)
United Machinez SD (discontinued)

Any one of those sprockets will work with Socket Drive Odyssey cranks. I have the La Gardia SD & I love it, though it ended up causing me a ton of frustration trying to get it set up for Spline-Drive.

The Socket Drive interface has been discontinued for a year or two now due to compatibility issues between the spline-drive inserts & the amount of different cranks available on the market. It ended up being nothing but a huge headache for customers & dealers.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/28/2018 10:02 AM

Just seen this on Brotherhood BMX(@brzhd)'s Instagram. Rocking the socket interface, presumably for use with spline drive adapters, but will work for socket drive.

They have other sprockets available already, not sure if they all use this interface or not though Photo

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx