Looking for a Cassette hub (BSD Backstreet pro?)

Related:
Create New Tag

3/14/2017 9:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/14/2017 10:31 AM

What's up guys? I'm trying to get back into riding after a 6 or 7 year hiatus and wondering what you guys would recommend for a cassette hub? Was looking at both the BSD Backstreet pro, Eclat pulse and odyssey antigram. I'm looking for something with a female axel that is tough, spins good and smooth and something I won't have to fuck with constantly. Most importanly i really want a hub that DOSEN'T SKIP!!!. Had odyssey hubs before that skipped like crazy and it drove me nuts! Is the anti gram any better? I was reading about the BSD and it is advertised as having "no skip technology" anyone have any experience with their stuff? Is it quality stuff? What abut the front street pro hub? Their substance XL cranks? I don't remember this company being around so I don't really know anything about them. Anyway, just looking for some input on a cassette.

Thanks Guys
-Rex

|

3/14/2017 10:06 AM

The BSD hub should be good, I know a few people that have it and they've had no problems.

The Eclat hub skips like crazy, everyone I know who had it, replaced it within 6-8 months.

The Odyssey hub should be good, I don't know anyone who has had it but I've seen a lot of good reviews on it. It's basically a smaller G-Sport Ratchet, also a great hub I'd recommend you look at.

BSD stuff is quality, couldn't say a bad thing about them if I wanted.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/14/2017 10:36 AM

Thanks for the reply. BSD does seem to have a lot of good looking stuff. I've been away so long that there are a lot of company's that I've never heard of. Trying to get familiar with everything again.

-Rex

|

3/14/2017 11:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/14/2017 11:18 AM

I can definitely recommend the BSD. Know a local who goes absolutely ham and is hard on his parts. He does a lot of tap tricks and he uses tons of pedal pressure for stuff on his Backstreet.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/14/2017 11:54 AM

Can you ask ask if he has had any issues with the driver skipping on him at all.

Thanks
-Rex

|

3/14/2017 4:05 PM

Not the Backstreet Pro, but my friend has the regular Backstreet hub and it skips on him all the time. It's not even a year old yet either.

In my experience, they have a good warranty at least. I received a defective front hub a couple years ago. They machined the axle wrong and the shoulder to shoulder spot on the axle was shorter than it should've been, causing the hub to not spin for shit upon tightening it up. They sent me another hub free of charge and told me to scrap the defective one once we determined the issue. Ended up bending that axle a year later though, can't win haha

Other than that, I can't say much on the company as I've not ridden anything else or know anyone who rides much of their stuff. But they got good people backing it though at least.

|

3/14/2017 8:06 PM

I guess the pro is supposed to have some new driver or something that isn't supposed to skip idk.

From their site

The Back Street PRO Hub

We designed the Back Street Pro hub around our own custom driver with skip free mechanism while still maintaining a compact sized shell. With features such as bombproof 14mm female bolts, chromo cones, a massive female axle, hefty 6903 bearings and now also coming in male 14mm axle version for 2016 you know this hub is built street tough…

BSD Back Street PRO Hub Features:

– 4130 heat treated Chromo male or female axle versions.
– 6061 T6 aluminium shell.
– Heat treated 14mm bolts.
– High quality sealed 6903 bearings.
– Custom 9t driver with polymer bushing.
– Separate pawls and springs.
– Skip free driver design.
– Push fit Chromo cones.
– RHD or LHD.

-Rex

|

3/14/2017 8:32 PM

If you look at the "Pro" driver, it is a little bit different to the original. Most notably, it has a shallower pawl angle and the pawls are tangental to the radius they're on(rather than facing more up). If the ratchet ring is that close to the driver body, the pawls have much less swing which should make it significantly harder to misengage/skip.

Pro:
Photo

Original:
Photo

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/14/2017 8:40 PM

Have you experience/input with any Shadow Conspiracy/Primo cassettes?

|

3/14/2017 8:53 PM

Carcass_PNW wrote:

Have you experience/input with any Shadow Conspiracy/Primo cassettes?

No experience with Shadow hubs. Always wanted to try a BTR though.

Primo hubs, the Mix was a great hub, if you can find it anywhere. The Remix is pretty good as well, so good in fact that as far as I know, Stranger and Cult are using Remix internals in their Ballast and Match hubs, respectively. I've yet to see either of those hubs have any problems. Only problem Remixes really had, as far as I know, was the occasional hubshell snapping but I'll never understand how that happened.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/14/2017 9:27 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

No experience with Shadow hubs. Always wanted to try a BTR though.

Primo hubs, the Mix was a great hub, if you can find it ...more

Stranger uses the Remix internals, Cult uses the Mix internals. The Mix used 4 6902 bearings in the hub shell, but the Remix used 4 6802 bearings.

I've been riding the Cult Match v1 for 4 years now with no issue, and a friend of mine has been riding the Mix for close to 9 years no with no issues besides a skip here or there. And the Match v2 is the same thing, just with a revised shell design & smaller non-drive side flange, so I'd definitely go with that one personally. I don't know enough about the BSD hubs to make a say.

But yeah the Remix hubs are a bit prone to snapping, I have my friend's snapped hub shell laying around here somewhere along with the bent axle. Not sure how it happened haha I snapped a piece of the flange off my old Shadow Rant v2 cassette from landing weird, but never a hub shell right in half.

|

3/14/2017 9:36 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Stranger uses the Remix internals, Cult uses the Mix internals. The Mix used 4 6902 bearings in the hub shell, but the Remix ...more

I do appreciate the replies. Maybe I should look at a cult cassette? I'm a heavy 6'4" rider, low impact riding though. I've got a freemix right now for under a year, next bike will be a cassette

|

3/15/2017 7:25 AM

Thanks for all the input guys, I think I'm sold on the BSD.

-Rex

|