Looking for a good first bike.

Related:
Create New Tag

11/6/2017 4:43 PM

Im just getting into bmx and looking for a bmx. My price range is at most 400$. Please give me some good ideas!!!

|

SKRRT SKKRRT

11/6/2017 6:35 PM

Eastern shovelhead
Hoffman Bama
Kink whip
Fit VHS
Mongoose Legion L100

|

11/6/2017 7:06 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Eastern shovelhead
Hoffman Bama
Kink whip
Fit VHS
Mongoose Legion L100

Yup...

|

11/6/2017 7:07 PM

Thanks for your feedback!!!

|

SKRRT SKKRRT

11/6/2017 7:09 PM

https://fitbikeco.com/bikes-2018/str/ I'm looking at this one too... what do you think

|

SKRRT SKKRRT

11/6/2017 7:23 PM

well first how tall are you? you want the right frame size. second what type of bmx do you want to do (street, park, trail)
and finally are you sure you want to do bmx or is it just going to sit in garage and $400+ goes down the drain.

|

11/6/2017 7:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/6/2017 7:31 PM

|

11/6/2017 7:55 PM

I'm going to be doing bmx for sure. I've been riding my friends bikes lately to make sure that I like it. I'm gonna be riding street. I'm 4'11" and 12

|

SKRRT SKKRRT

11/6/2017 8:27 PM

merk20 wrote:

well first how tall are you? you want the right frame size. second what type of bmx do you want to do (street, park, trail)
and finally are you sure you want to do bmx or is it just going to sit in garage and $400+ goes down the drain.

Stick to the bikes I listed. The fit you listed isn't a full Chromoly frame, only the head tube, top tube, and down tube are Chromoly.

|

11/6/2017 9:08 PM

Miles Amann wrote:

https://fitbikeco.com/bikes-2018/str/ I'm looking at this one too... what do you think

It doesnt have a chromoly rear end.

That is pretty important considering youre going to be landing on that a lot.

My advice, unless we are talking cheap (like 100ish dollars) dont buy a bike with a hi-tensile anything frame. Its just not worth it. Go all hi-ten if you are just wanting it for looks or cruising wit the occasional hops, all chromoly if youre doing more tricks and expecting your bike to take the harsh ladings and bails.

|

11/6/2017 9:19 PM

I cant recommend this based on specs alone. The name "Subrosa" is why this bike is as expensive as it is.

|

11/6/2017 9:23 PM

merk20 wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Stick to the bikes I listed. The fit you listed isn't a full Chromoly frame, only the head tube, top tube, and down tube are Chromoly.

Honestly, he's going to go through a fork quicker than a frame most likely, if nothing else, he should have a FULL chromoly fork. None of this "chromoly steerer tube" or "full chromoly legs" bullshit. Lol

They are gonna director on you quick once you start doing flyouts, drops, etc.

|

11/7/2017 3:59 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Honestly, he's going to go through a fork quicker than a frame most likely, if nothing else, he should have a FULL chromoly fork. None of this "chromoly steerer tube" or "full chromoly legs" bullshit. Lol

They are gonna director on you quick once you start doing flyouts, drops, etc.

Good point, I was going to tell him that he should buy used if he can becouse there cheaper and you can get customs at my area for like 150 200 easy

|

11/7/2017 4:56 AM

merk20 wrote:

Good point, I was going to tell him that he should buy used if he can becouse there cheaper and you can get customs at my area for like 150 200 easy

I've (almost) given up on recommending people buying used. It is SO hard to find a bike on CL or FB Marketplace etc... that is a decent deal AND that you can confirm what that bike actually is. Now, throw in a complete noob into the mixture & you have the (great) potential for someone getting ripped off. At best, the forum is inundated with "what about this" posts & they are all name brand crap.

|

11/7/2017 5:04 AM

Things to look for in a BMX bike:
All of the skeletal structure that is going to bear weight should be full chromoly:
full frame -> front triangle(TT, DT, ST) AND seat stay and chainstay....full Chromoly
fork: both the steering tube and the legs...full Chromoly
the handle bars...full Chromoly
the crank arms and pedal axels....full Chromoly

Rims should be welded double walled for sure
Sealed bearings in the hubs and bottom bracket

For me, these are the MOST important things to look for to give you the best return on your investment. Every thing after this is “eye candy” to me at least.

After structure, geometry is the next most important thing.

I also concur that used is pretty much a crap shoot...at least where i live. You will do a lot of searching for a "gem", usually just to find rocks. The bikes on the very first list mentioned fit most of the above specs. Go with one of those. You want the bike to last, especially through the "learning years" where it is going to go through a lot of abuse

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

11/7/2017 5:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/7/2017 5:13 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Eastern shovelhead
Hoffman Bama
Kink whip
Fit VHS
Mongoose Legion L100

BTW, in case you are wondering, I'd put the above bikes in the following order of preference:

1.) Shovelhead, Bama, Whip (all about the same)
2.) Fit VHS (doesn't come with double wall rims)
3.) Mongoose L100 parts aren't the best & the frame construction isn't as nice as the others on this list but a great value for a pure beginner bike (see Bulletpup's review).

|

11/7/2017 5:34 AM

Thanks!!! I'm glad u guys commented or else I'd end up with the Fit and I would have broken something. I'm probely going to go with the Eastern shovel head

|

SKRRT SKKRRT

11/7/2017 5:40 AM

Miles Amann wrote:

Thanks!!! I'm glad u guys commented or else I'd end up with the Fit and I would have broken something. I'm probely going to go with the Eastern shovel head

Yay I finally have a eastern buddy :D
In all seriousness you wount learn tricks just like that it's going to take time so don't be frustrated. Practice bunny hops than fakies and you should be on your way.

|

11/7/2017 6:53 AM

Miles Amann wrote:

merk20 wrote:

Yay I finally have a eastern buddy :D
In all seriousness you wount learn tricks just like that it's going to take time so don't be frustrated. Practice bunny hops than fakies and you should be on your way.

Yep, IMHO, Bunny hops. GOOD, high bunny hops are really the basis for everything awesome. In the meantime, while learning your hops, manuals and fakies are great, easy ways to practice cool stuff without really risking life & limb.

|

11/7/2017 9:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/7/2017 9:35 AM

I'm worried that the 20.85 inch frame wont fit me is that true? Or should i go with the smaller 20.75 inch frame on the Nagas?

|

SKRRT SKKRRT

11/7/2017 9:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/7/2017 2:10 PM

The size you are worried about is less than an 1/8th inch. Which is about the size of two pennies (viewed from the side). You won't notice it. Also, the Nagas isn't a full Chromoly frame, etc...

|

11/7/2017 2:18 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

The size you are worried about is less than an 1/8th inch. Which is about the size of two pennies (viewed from the side). You won't notice it. Also, the Nagas isn't a full Chromoly frame, etc...

Oh ok thanks!!!

|

SKRRT SKKRRT

11/7/2017 4:51 PM

Is hi-ten good at all

|

SKRRT SKKRRT

11/7/2017 4:54 PM

Miles Amann wrote:

Is hi-ten good at all

My bike is hitencel it's held up fine

|

11/7/2017 5:02 PM

Miles Amann wrote:

Is hi-ten good at all

Not long term for real riding. As a beginner, sure. For a while it'll be ok. But hi-tens will fail & is heavier than Chromoly

|

11/7/2017 5:09 PM

Got it

|

SKRRT SKKRRT

11/7/2017 5:11 PM

I mean my held up for 6 years and counting.

|

11/7/2017 7:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/8/2017 10:15 PM

Miles Amann wrote:

Got it

A hi-tensile frame is not total garbage and its certainly ridable depending on the geo and such. Its just not an investment, as I said before if youre paying anything upwards from 250 dollars for a hi-ten bike or frame, you are getting ripped off.

Full chromoly bikes are available under 300.00 new so there isnt much point paying 400+ dollars for a hi-ten bike.

That is my main point, and many others here are saying the same.

smile

|