Looking into a freecoaster

Related:
Create New Tag

6/20/2017 9:44 AM

I'm sure this topic has been brought up a million times, but I'm planning on picking up a freecoaster wheel to mess around with. I currently run the Cinema vx2 wheels with the AR777 rims and they have been awesome. I've always run a cassette but I want to venture into the freecoaster a bit. I'm torn between the Primo Freemix and the Cinema VX freecoaster wheel. Anyone run any of these two and can point me in the right direction as to which is a more reliable wheel?

|

6/20/2017 10:18 AM

Hmmm couldnt tell ya honestly, however i heard primo freemix is good, a few pros use it soo?

|

6/20/2017 10:34 AM

They're pretty much identical. The body is machined slightly differently, but the internals are the same

|

6/21/2017 10:19 AM

I have the primo freemix pro, and I like it. Except for 1 thing... I took the bus for a month straight (daily, in the rain!) and it caused my drive side cone nut to get rusted on (that was the side that was facing away from the bus, that always got wet) so just keep it dry and it'll work great!

Unfortunately, I can't grease mine, so I'm just going to ride it till it breaks. I'll either get another one, or get an Odyssey Clutch V2

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

6/21/2017 10:38 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

I have the primo freemix pro, and I like it. Except for 1 thing... I took the bus for a month straight (daily, in the rain!) and it caused my drive side cone nut to get rusted on (that was the side that was facing away from the bus, that always got wet) so just keep it dry and it'll work great!

Unfortunately, I can't grease mine, so I'm just going to ride it till it breaks. I'll either get another one, or get an Odyssey Clutch V2

wait... you mean like an open-air bus or something? Why was it getting wet inside the bus? Also, why can't you grease it?
I have the freemix, hasn't done me wrong yet. Have only rode it for about a month but I got it used as well, works fine. No slack adjustment but you get used to the quarter-crank pretty quickly.

|

6/21/2017 10:55 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Nelsdollaz wrote:

wait... you mean like an open-air bus or something? Why was it getting wet inside the bus? Also, why can't you grease it?
I have the freemix, hasn't done me wrong yet. Have only rode it for about a month but I got it used as well, works fine. No slack adjustment but you get used to the quarter-crank pretty quickly.

He can't grease it because it is rusted shut

|

6/21/2017 10:56 AM

Nelsdollaz wrote:

The buses around here have racks in the front of the bus for bikes to sit so yeah they're outside exposed to the weather.

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

6/21/2017 10:59 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

I don't know if you've tried this or not but I'd try PB Blaster to free up that nut.

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

6/21/2017 11:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/21/2017 11:15 AM

If you can find an Eclat Blind coaster with rubber bands to spare, I think it's the best. Sure, the bands snap every once in a good while, but it's flawless when the coaster is working. It uses pawls instead of the typical clutch mechanism, so I think it's very reliable, which it has been to me. Wish they continued it!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/21/2017 11:27 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Just get a cheap Walmart bike so you don't rust out your nice bike...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

6/21/2017 4:22 PM

readybmxer wrote:

If you can find an Eclat Blind coaster with rubber bands to spare, I think it's the best. Sure, the bands snap every once in a good while, but it's flawless when the coaster is working. It uses pawls instead of the typical clutch mechanism, so I think it's very reliable, which it has been to me. Wish they continued it!

I still have mine, wish they had completed the new updated driver/internals for it. The driver was supposed to have individual springs for each pawl. Seems Shane is still currently riding his Blind hub so maybe something will be released...but doubt it.

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

6/21/2017 5:54 PM

I have a demolition rotator that is nice. Just swapped back to cassette though and it is better for my pump track at the moment.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/22/2017 12:09 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Counterpoint to this
If you can find a Blind coaster do not get it. It's a pain in the ass to get it working. I ran one for 6-7 months (you can see in my Benny hill bike check) as stated above it was great when it worked. Key words when it worked. It worked great for the first month or so but when the first spring broke it was not reliable even after new pawls, rubber bands, and ratchet rings. And I pedaled a lot with it so rubber bands broke left and right. A lot of the times I I'd start off the sesh with a working coaster and 20 mins in the spring/band would break so I'd have a cassette with a lot of slack and that wasn't fun. The pawl system is nice but my pawls actually damaged my ratchet ring because of hard pedal pressure so there'd be a sharp groove in the pawls and ratchet ring so anything I put in snapped immediately. I loved the hub when it worked but it's frustrating when you have to put a new rubber band in 4 times a session. I eventually said screw it and got a cult coaster and the hub was flawless when I got it and never gave me problems, I eventually replaced that with my clutch which I currently have and again zero problems so that's nice. I plan to get a clutch v2 cuz my clutch now doesnt have enough slack but for now it is fine. Loved the blind hub, hated the problems it gave me.

|

6/22/2017 12:12 AM

The Horror Contact wrote:

I still have mine, wish they had completed the new updated driver/internals for it. The driver was supposed to have individual springs for each pawl. Seems Shane is still currently riding his Blind hub so maybe something will be released...but doubt it.

I think he's riding a cortez coaster cuZ on his insta you can see on a post from a couple weeks back with new wheels, you can see that the rear hub has a big bearing on the driver and the blind doesn't have one like that

|

6/22/2017 12:25 AM

Personally have been on a Demolition and it was good beside a slight issue out of the box , partially my fault partially getting a 1 - off shitty product luck .

Have been on many friends bikes , and out of all coasters I find the BSD has been the most smooth and enjoyable to ride .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short