Looking into a new tire

Related:
Create New Tag

6/12/2014 9:12 PM

I've gotten two flats in the past week just riding around. The streets in my neighborhood suck and i've managed to pick up some glass with my tire..again. Could you suggest a decent rugged tire? (Right now ive been riding around on an odyssey klyte that's far from bald.)

|

6/12/2014 9:15 PM

Any Odyssey or Animal tire should work. Primo WLT is good. I love my Cult Deharts, Fit T/As seem pretty good too.

I would stay away from Sunday Currents, Stolen Joints, Kenda Kontacts, Demolition Momentums, Demolition Machetes.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

6/12/2014 9:20 PM

Stocksy wrote:

Any Odyssey or Animal tire should work. Primo WLT is good. I love my Cult Deharts, Fit T/As seem pretty good too.

I would ...more

Ah alright, might switch it up and get an animal tire to see how it goes, how long do you usually keep a tire for?

|

6/12/2014 9:21 PM

heavy duty tube too

|

virginia beach ~ instagram: @_harru_ ~ 4pegz

6/12/2014 9:33 PM

sketo wrote:

heavy duty tube too

Never knew those existed but I'll have to invest in some now haha. I've heard about one's that reseal after a minor cut...but it just seems kinda fishy

|

6/12/2014 9:41 PM

sketo wrote:

heavy duty tube too

wawa011 wrote:

Never knew those existed but I'll have to invest in some now haha. I've heard about one's that reseal after a minor cut...but ...more

I've never tried the heavy duty tubes.

Resealable tubes are okay but you won't get many flats with Animal tires so you shouldn't need one. After a while, the slime sort of just quits and then whenever you try to take air out of the valve, slime just ejaculates out of the valve and it's not fun.

|

YouTube

6/12/2014 9:43 PM

Stocksy wrote:

I would ...more

I've run big shit over with machetes. I don't know why everyone downs on them. Momentum tires are another story, don't buy. But animal mtt, glh tww. I HIGHLY suggest the tww. I've ridden deharts, super amazing. If I were you, id look into:

Animal GLH
Animal MTT
Animal TWW
Cult Deharts
Odyssey Hawks
Odyssey Aitken
Shadow Conspiracy Valor
Subrosa Grave Digger

All are nice durable tires. Least durable are the Deharts I believe. And if you can find a rare kenda streetblock or whatever its called, I'd go for it. Awesome tire, really hard to find now.

|

6/12/2014 9:49 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

I've run big shit over with machetes. I don't know why everyone downs on them. Momentum tires are another story, don't buy. ...more

Deharts last if you're brakeless. If you run brakes and abuse them (I am using that term lightly) then they will wear out pretty fast.

|

YouTube

6/12/2014 10:15 PM

sketo wrote:

heavy duty tube too

wawa011 wrote:

Never knew those existed but I'll have to invest in some now haha. I've heard about one's that reseal after a minor cut...but ...more

Stocksy wrote:

I've never tried the heavy duty tubes.

Resealable tubes are okay but you won't get many flats with Animal tires so you ...more

haha Animal it is then. I dont think there's any worse feeling than your rim clanking/dragging after a surprise flat : /. I think I'm gonna get some hub guards soon, any suggestions?

|

6/12/2014 10:25 PM

If you have a hub that has a guard made for it then get the one that's made for your hub! Other than that I like my G Sport gland for the front. I've heard that the Daily Grind Infinity guard is good for the back.

|

YouTube

6/12/2014 10:38 PM

Stocksy wrote:

If you have a hub that has a guard made for it then get the one that's made for your hub! Other than that I like my G Sport ...more

I don't even know what Kind of hub my bike came with. Quick question, is there a reason why stock bikes always come with a front tire that has lower psi(40-60) while the rear tire max is usually 80-100? Up until know I just assumed lower tire pressure 40-60psi meant it was a "front tire"

|

6/12/2014 10:39 PM

|

virginia beach ~ instagram: @_harru_ ~ 4pegz

6/12/2014 10:42 PM

get the SHADOW VALORS! hands down. havent got one flat yet for like the 8th month ive had them. and here in hawaii there is glass everywhere.

|

6/12/2014 10:52 PM

Thanks, I might have to go with the "Super thick tube" since my tire is 20 X 2.25

|

6/12/2014 10:54 PM

sunny_D wrote:

get the SHADOW VALORS! hands down. havent got one flat yet for like the 8th month ive had them. and here in hawaii there is ...more

I'll Have to check them out haha. It sucks , people break glass bottles and throw them in the streets and parks around Philly just because they can.

|

6/13/2014 1:57 AM

My deharts and fit t/a are nice.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

6/13/2014 6:57 AM

Stocksy wrote:

I would ...more

biggybuggy wrote:

I've run big shit over with machetes. I don't know why everyone downs on them. Momentum tires are another story, don't buy. ...more

Stocksy wrote:

Deharts last if you're brakeless. If you run brakes and abuse them (I am using that term lightly) then they will wear out ...more

1. They last forever, just out of the ones I listed they are the least durable.
2. Your statement about brakes makes no sense. Are you talking about retards that lock up their tires? That wears tires down fast.

|

6/13/2014 7:08 AM

wawa011 wrote:

I'll Have to check them out haha. It sucks , people break glass bottles and throw them in the streets and parks around Philly ...more

I'm in Philly too dude, you ain't kidding. A bunch of savages in this town. Animals with heavy duty tubes is the way to go. Animal is from NJ so rep local! If you order direct from their site you'll usually get your order the next day too which rules

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

6/13/2014 7:19 AM

sunny_D wrote:

get the SHADOW VALORS! hands down. havent got one flat yet for like the 8th month ive had them. and here in hawaii there is ...more

wawa011 wrote:

I'll Have to check them out haha. It sucks , people break glass bottles and throw them in the streets and parks around Philly ...more

ironmaiden666 wrote:

I'm in Philly too dude, you ain't kidding. A bunch of savages in this town. Animals with heavy duty tubes is the way to go. ...more

Yea its definitely rough in some areas. What parts of the city do you tend to ride? My neighborhood (Germantown) is kind of a death trap for tires, but I've started to looking downtown and hit up paine's park which is pretty chill.

|

6/13/2014 8:38 AM

speaking from experience, Animal MTT i definitely the toughest. the tread is massive, so that should keep you rolling. theyre a bit sluggish speed-wise, but if youre looking for durability, then MTT is my suggestion. plus you can rep the east as stated above.

|

bikes destroy vlogs.

ref: slade_vincent, shutta, ecuadevil, theprophet, blackmammoth, sfb, element4all, bmx-junkie, kurtnut, nickg, jessebmx, dontDELETE, krbmx17, ninjacat, freddydapice, waanng, ivan, scramhype, motogrizz, tomdon, dream, hatebreeder, noendinsight666, asilva, wolfen, superstarDK, skubasteve, aebasher, many more.

6/13/2014 9:54 AM

biggybuggy wrote:

1. They last forever, just out of the ones I listed they are the least durable.
2. Your statement about brakes makes no sense. ...more

From my experience, my rear Dehart is still in good shape but my brother who runs brakes isn't.

|

YouTube

6/13/2014 9:57 AM

About the PSI differences, the tires that come on your bike usually inflate to about sixty PSI because they just aren't that great of tires. You can run any tire in the front or back. It's all personal preference.

|

YouTube

6/13/2014 11:56 AM

wawa011 wrote:

Yea its definitely rough in some areas. What parts of the city do you tend to ride? My neighborhood (Germantown) is kind of a ...more

I live in Kensington but I ride more around center city and west Philly because I look for any excuse to leave Kensington. I've just started going to that park. They got a sweet setup there and it's got enough "street" type stuff for practice.

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.

6/13/2014 12:15 PM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

I'm in Philly too dude, you ain't kidding. A bunch of savages in this town. Animals with heavy duty tubes is the way to go. ...more

wawa011 wrote:

Yea its definitely rough in some areas. What parts of the city do you tend to ride? My neighborhood (Germantown) is kind of a ...more

ironmaiden666 wrote:

I live in Kensington but I ride more around center city and west Philly because I look for any excuse to leave Kensington. ...more

Haha I don't blame you, Kensington is a bit of a no mans land. Yea I don't no how to air out of any of that vert stuff so I just stick by the little (manual pads it think?) and the ledges. I've never ridden in west philly but I used to see some guys doing crank grinds on small rails on Penn's campus so I might have to make my way over there

|

6/13/2014 12:36 PM

Been running the animal tww for a few weeks now and I'd recommend them to anyone that's after a grippy, durable, fast rolling tyre. Animal tyres FTW all day.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

6/13/2014 2:40 PM

wawa011 wrote:

Haha I don't blame you, Kensington is a bit of a no mans land. Yea I don't no how to air out of any of that vert stuff so I ...more

Not sure how much cruising I'll get to do this weekend cause I'm hanging out with my broad during the day both days but I'd be down to meet sometime and either thrash the park or head to some spots around UPenn. Should be interesting cause I'm riding pegless until I can find a hubguard that fits my rear hub.

|

My Ride
My Other Ride

6/13/2014 6:07 PM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

I live in Kensington but I ride more around center city and west Philly because I look for any excuse to leave Kensington. ...more

wawa011 wrote:

Haha I don't blame you, Kensington is a bit of a no mans land. Yea I don't no how to air out of any of that vert stuff so I ...more

ironmaiden666 wrote:

Not sure how much cruising I'll get to do this weekend cause I'm hanging out with my broad during the day both days but I'd be ...more

Alright cool, Yea I need to get a rear hub but idk what kind yet. If you're down Sunday or during the week just hit me up

|