Looking to buy beginner/intermediate bmx bike

Related:
Create New Tag

2/2/2014 10:23 AM

I've been riding different styles of bike for a number of years now (mountain, road, touring), but my very first bike was a bmx, so this year I am looking to get back into it. Wondering if, given my biking experience, an intermediate bike would work, or if a beginner bike would be better. Looking to ride dirt and trail, with a little bit of street/park thrown in as well. The Free Agent Vergo and Novus caught my eye, but that is pretty much the only brand I've looked at so far. I am willing to spend between 350-400, possibly a little more. Any advice or suggestions on level of bike (beginner, intermediate) as well as preferred brands, and what to look for would be great. Happy riding!

|

2/2/2014 10:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/2/2014 10:37 AM

https://www.danscomp.com/products/102330/2014_Volume_Infantry_Bike.html Chromoly everything, sealed everything, multiple aftermarket parts, double wall rims, nice specs, pretty light too. Code 45D1 will bring it down to $433 which includes shipping. Photo
|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/2/2014 10:48 AM

That is pretty much best bang for your buck the volume infantry unless you go with a mongoose mode 900 for 193 bucks

|

2/2/2014 11:28 AM

Thats a really good bike for the price.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

2/2/2014 1:08 PM

It really depends. How old / tall are you? You may need to stretch your budget a bit, or look at something used to get the best bang for your buck.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

2/3/2014 1:42 PM

transition_chris wrote:

It really depends. How old / tall are you? You may need to stretch your budget a bit, or look at something used to get the ...more

Im 24 , a little under 5'10"... Should I be looking at a 21"TT?

|

2/3/2014 1:52 PM

Eh. Im 6'1" and ride a 21" and feel I could go a little smaller but its all personal preference. Most of my 5'10"ish friends ride 20.6-20.8. Imo, I would get it since 20.75 is pretty much suggested length for your height. If you dont like it, pick up a longer stem say 55-58mm reach. The bars should feel super comfortable for you too. 8.7 rise with a TL. Im 6'1" and run 8.66 on a TL but I like them just a tad lower than suggested. Suggested size for you would probably be 8.5 on a TL but its hard to say with todays standards. I highly doubt they will feel too small, so worse comes to worst you have to buy a front or mid load stem if they feel too high. In which case you can get a longer one aswell if the frame feels too small.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/3/2014 5:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/3/2014 6:00 PM

ullyrider wrote:

Yes, definitely a 21" frame. You could ride a 20.75" or so, but the 21" will flow better in the trails for sure.

If you are looking for a complete, you've got to remember that you're older and taller so you're naturally going to be harder on your bike. I would try and push you towards a more intermediate level bike, you'll like it a lot more, it will fit you better and last a lot longer. Especially since you mentioned you were in to road and mountain, trust me, you won't be happy on a cheap bike that doesn't fit you properly.

Two bikes I would definitely check out are the Fit BF 2, and the United KL 40 Expert. They are both 21" bikes, built tough enough for you to start off on, and are great for trails, and a bit of skatepark / street like you described.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder

2/4/2014 1:13 PM

Thanks a lot for the input. I checked the bikes you mentioned, definitely good options. A 21"TT appeals to me since I tend to grow into bikes anyway and I will be on trails. Looking to get a quote this week from my local shop (I would preferably buy from there for obvious reasons) but not ruling out an online order. Any opinions and/or input on the following list of brands would be sweet. These are the brands my local shop deals with: Fly, Free Agent, Subrosa, Sunday, Cult. Thanks again!

|

2/4/2014 1:47 PM

Free agent isn't really that great of a brand, I think they're more of a racing company? Anyway if I had those options I'd probably go for a subrosa or sunday

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

2/4/2014 3:28 PM

ullyrider wrote:

Thanks a lot for the input. I checked the bikes you mentioned, definitely good options. A 21"TT appeals to me since I tend to ...more

No problem! If you've got a good local bike shop, you gotta support those guys!

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder

2/4/2014 3:35 PM

transition_chris wrote:

It really depends. How old / tall are you? You may need to stretch your budget a bit, or look at something used to get the ...more

ullyrider wrote:

transition_chris wrote:

Yes, definitely a 21" frame. You could ride a 20.75" or so, but the 21" will flow better in the trails for sure.

If you are ...more

The one thing about the BF Completes: It isn't the same geo as the BF frame. If I remember, it's a 75 HTA, and a 13.375 or 13.5 rear end. Will still work on trails, don't get me wrong, but if you want something really stable, the BF complete is not the ticket.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

2/4/2014 4:10 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

The one thing about the BF Completes: It isn't the same geo as the BF frame. If I remember, it's a 75 HTA, and a 13.375 or ...more

He wants to ride some street and skatepark with it though too, not a hardcore trail bike.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder

2/4/2014 4:23 PM

transition_chris wrote:

He wants to ride some street and skatepark with it though too, not a hardcore trail bike.

I understand this. I'm just syaing if it's primarily trails, he may want something a little more slack. I personally like 74.5 for all around. Up to him though.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine