Looking to get 4 year old a new bike got questions

Related:
Create New Tag

9/2/2019 6:22 PM

My son will be 4 in a month. He currently rides a specialized hotrock 12”. It has the flat bars like a mountain bike and coaster brakes. He isn’t big for his age but the bike looks extremely small for him. I was looking at getting something like a 14” kink. There isn’t a shop within hours of me to actually go check something out. The searching I did showed the specialized 12” to be smaller than most 12” bikes. I’ve been thinking about maybe getting true bmx bars deleting the coaster and adding a handbrake. Just looking for suggestions on what to do.

|

9/2/2019 7:01 PM

I got my son a 16" Mirraco when he was 4. It was a bit big but it lasted him until he turned 7 and got an 18".

|

9/2/2019 7:29 PM

I was going to go with a 16” until I started watching videos and looking at pictures and I’m pretty sure it’ll be to big. He has a blast riding now so I don’t want to crush his confidence by getting something to big

|

9/2/2019 7:54 PM

14 wasn't an option for me. It's too bad you can't try something out first.

|

9/2/2019 10:57 PM

My son just turned 4. I got him a 16” Specialized Riprock. Great little bike and fits him well. I’d suggest taking him with you to your local bike shop and getting him on a bunch of different bikes. You don’t want to buy one without seeing him pedal it first.

|

9/3/2019 5:54 AM

My almost 5 year old was on a 14" tony hawk bike that had handbrakes AND a coaster brake until spring. He is now on a 16" random junker.

He isn't as big into BMX as we thought, so I am not going to spend a few hundred on a bike for that. If he gets into it, I will spend the cash.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/3/2019 7:55 AM

I think 14 inch would be a good bet if you can get one.

I have a 5 year old boy. We bought him a 12" Cult Juvenile when he was 3 and a half hoping he'd get 2 years out of it. There was no real options for 14 inch back then. Believe me, i searched everywhere.

The top tube on the cult is pretty long, much longer than most 12 inches so he is 5 now and still has loads of leg room on it but the bike is starting to look small on him. Probably similar to an adult on a 20 inch BMX. Loads of leg room with the right Top Tube but just looks small.

If the 14 inch Kink was available 2 years ago i'd have bought that and i think it would have been ideal.

If not, keep an eye out for a used Cult Juvenile 12 inch. He'll probably only get 18 months out of it but its a bike he should feel comfortable on right away.

A 16 inch would be fine for cruising but i think might be a bit big to try and jump for a 4 year old.

|

9/3/2019 8:50 AM

I honestly can’t believe anyone thats lived the bike life would even consider putting there kid on a bike with a coaster brake lol

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

9/3/2019 12:11 PM

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

I honestly can’t believe anyone thats lived the bike life would even consider putting there kid on a bike with a coaster brake lol

Can you just fuck off?

|

9/3/2019 12:37 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Can you just fuck off?

Awe

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram

old edit

9/3/2019 1:10 PM

As a parent of a kid and having "lived the bike life" I can honestly say it is PURELY because NO BRANDS make brake levers that aren't 2-3 inches away from the bars. If someone could make a smaller lever that sits closer, I would have gone that route. And YES, I have tried dialing in the reach. It's not enough/compromises the brakes.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/3/2019 4:07 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

As a parent of a kid and having "lived the bike life" I can honestly say it is PURELY because NO BRANDS make brake levers that aren't 2-3 inches away from the bars. If someone could make a smaller lever that sits closer, I would have gone that route. And YES, I have tried dialing in the reach. It's not enough/compromises the brakes.

I was thinking brakeless lol

|

Testimony and apologies

instagram

old edit

9/3/2019 6:10 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

The brake lever on my sons 16” riprock can be wound right in, really easily, and they still work perfectly.

|

9/3/2019 9:11 PM

I definitely appreciate the responses. Looks like the 14” is going to be the best bet. He may not be into bmx at all but he rides atleast 30 minutes every afternoon rain or shine. I just want to get him something that isn’t half ass made and heavy. Was looking at the spawn yoji 16”. I ride a lot of mountain bike cross country trails too

|

9/3/2019 10:23 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is that wheel size doesn’t determine how the child will fit on the bike. Cheaper kids bikes generally have terrible geometry, commonly too short in the top tube. Just another reason to have him try the bike first.

|

9/3/2019 10:40 PM

Spongeworthy wrote:

Another thing to keep in mind is that wheel size doesn’t determine how the child will fit on the bike. Cheaper kids bikes generally have terrible geometry, commonly too short in the top tube. Just another reason to have him try the bike first.

Sounds like a 14" is where you need to be. Kink has one out this year and they did an amazing job on it. Check it out.

https://www.albes.com/kink-pump-2020-14-bike/
www.albes.com

|

9/4/2019 9:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2019 7:30 PM

|