Looking to get into flatland

Related:
Create New Tag

2/12/2016 7:10 PM

As the title states, I am looking to start riding flatland. Any suggestions on parts? Building a whole new set up and figured I'll ask some of the guys here about it.

|

Refs: Four x4, Dolphin, BrokenBMX, Tomdon, ecuadevil...

2/12/2016 8:16 PM

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

2/12/2016 8:23 PM

Good luck, best of wishes to you.

|

2/12/2016 10:41 PM

Is this a ploy to get jonny T to return?

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

2/13/2016 12:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/13/2016 1:00 AM

You don't need a new bike to get into flatland.
Read this
Go for a twitchy street frame (like bsd alvx or something in the same kind) and a short fork offset (28 and under) and you'll be fine.

|

2/13/2016 2:07 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Is this a ploy to get jonny T to return?

Jonny T is/was street flat or what ever riding genre he claimed to have invented.

Wait, which one was Jonny T?

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

2/13/2016 2:26 AM

Colony Flatland complete or maybe even a flatland frame and putting your parts on it will help . Mostly , you can learn flatland on any BMX bike ; 4 pegs ! Do whiplashes , hangfives, the 2 sided - peg revert thingy. It's cool .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/13/2016 4:15 AM

I'm in the same boat as you man, pretty much for my 2017 (or 18) bike build. Just do some research, cause it's pretty much preferences. Many current flatland pros use street BMX parts and basically just choose things that have specs they prefer.

I can tell you my plans thus so far if it helps, but remember that what may work for me, may not work for you (or me lol):
"Brakeless Flatland Plans"

Frame: Standard 250L
Fork: Odyssey R25
Bars: Kink Human
Rims: GSport Ribcage
Spokes: Ti
Hubs: Profile with Ti parts
Cranks: Profile 160mm with Ti spindle
Chain: Odyssey Hollow Keychain
Tires: S&M Trackmark
Seat: Fit Bikes railed

That's all I've kinda decided at the moment and I may change things in the future. I'm trying to balance out weight weeniness and strength (definitely aiming for lightness). I do plan to use as many titanium parts as I can though. This bike would only be for flatland "only" absolutely no street or even park! I say that, because I think Ti spokes for street is suicide and maybe park if you aren't a smooth rider.

|

"STREET" all day, ere'day.

2/13/2016 9:47 AM

You need a bike with 4 pegs, and a coaster can help a lot but isn't necessary for just learning.

If you want a truly flatland dedicated bike, get a coaster and front brake (maybe a back one with gyro too) and 4 pegs, then go find a reasonably smooth parking lot and start doing peg wheelies, whiplashes, fire hydrants, roparonis and so on!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/15/2016 8:05 AM

Thanks guys for info, may grab some parts not necessarily a whole new set up as I was thinking before. However I was thinking a smaller frame would be easier.

|

Refs: Four x4, Dolphin, BrokenBMX, Tomdon, ecuadevil...

2/15/2016 11:27 AM

We used to dick around on my friend's bike. It was a street setup but his BB turned to shit so he rode it crankless and chainless.

Maybe if you don't want to commit to a full flatland setup, you can do that to you're bike.

Being crankless kinda helps because you don't have to avoid the cranks especially if you don't have a freecoaster.

|

But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

2/15/2016 1:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/15/2016 3:04 PM

one try kid wrote:

We used to dick around on my friend's bike. It was a street setup but his BB turned to shit so he rode it crankless and chainless.

Maybe if you don't want to commit to a full flatland setup, you can do that to you're bike.

Being crankless kinda helps because you don't have to avoid the cranks especially if you don't have a freecoaster.

Chainless okay but crankless is dumb, the pedals are usefull in many flat tricks and links between tricks.
Once I had seen a flatland guy who had put some pegs through the bottom bracket instead of cranks, this should be fun.

|

2/15/2016 2:39 PM

I think it was Dave Osato, maybe someone else, rode with a piece of wood to stand on through his bb for a while....

Anyway. Yeah you can ride flatland on pretty much anything. But if it's strictly for flat, you might as well go all out and build a flat specific bike. No different from people building trails or street specific bikes really.
Get an s&m intrikat, some low/0 rake forks, 0 degree backsweep bars, a short stem, a coaster, and you're set. If you want something that can handle street without being too twitchy, go for low rake instead of 0 on the forks, that'll make it a fair bit more stable. Just remember, flat specific pegs are more grippy and usually alloy, so will be terrible for grinds. Street pegs are a narrower diameter so not as comfy on your feet, and no grip (but still grippy enough, and better for grinds if you want to do both).
There's a few flat specific companies still out there, and parts from other companies, you just need to search a bit more as they're not as common.

Other things to think about if it's strictly flat are crank arm length (the shorter the better, keeps them out the way), flat friendly gearing (usually a lower gear, so 10 23 or something would be a good place to start), front brake can be handy, rear brake maybe, but there's been plenty of brakeless riders for a lot longer than brakeless street.
There's ways of setting parts up to feel better for flat, like angle your bars forward a bit will feel similar to steeper ht/low rake forks. But makes your effective tt longer. Just see what parts are about and what's available, then you can start a wish list and get the parts as you go

|

2/15/2016 3:12 PM

Francky wrote:

Chainless okay but crankless is dumb, the pedals are usefull in many flat tricks and links between tricks.
Once I had seen a flatland guy who had put some pegs through the bottom bracket instead of cranks, this should be fun.

pegs through the bottom bracket instead of cranks is dumb...

see what i did there? lol

It is YOUR(your friend's) flatland setup.

shit... i could put a dildo instead of cranks for extra steeze.

If you see the need to use cranks to link up frontwheel to backwheel tricks, then by all means keep the cranks on.

I can't link shit so i COULD skip the cranks.

I couldn't even flatland for shit.

|

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

2/16/2016 4:01 AM

If you're looking to start, the best thing to really do is just put 4 pegs and 2 brakes on your current set up and learn 80's balancing/scuffing tricks. Flatland is extremely hard to learn and very easy to give up on so no sense buying a whole dedicated flat build until you know you're going to stick with it.

If you do get a complete bike, the colony bike is good.

|

It’s all bmx