Loose Cranks

Related:
Create New Tag

7/12/2013 6:52 AM

My right crank arm (opposite side to my sprocket) keeps coming loose and kept creaking and crackling, so I buy new cranks because I thought it may solve the problems but the real problem is my bottom bracket. Could my bottom bracket be the source that my cranks keep coming loose? Because my old cranks kept coming loose and my brand new stolen mob cranks keep falling off as well. Also, would bolt clamps help?

|

7/12/2013 7:23 AM

this happened to me try degreasing the spindle and putting on another spacer or 2 , if that dosent work them buy a new crank screw

|

7/12/2013 7:45 AM

Have you tried being a man and tightening the cranks properly?

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

7/12/2013 7:57 AM

When you tighten them up, do you loosen the pinch bolt, tighten the compression bolt, then tighten the pinch bolt?

|

7/12/2013 8:36 AM

BMX_Forever wrote:

When you tighten them up, do you loosen the pinch bolt, tighten the compression bolt, then tighten the pinch bolt?

I just tighten the main bolt not the pinch bolt, but I tighten them both as hard as I possibly can but the main bolt still comes loose, yet the pinch bolt seems to stay tight.

|

7/12/2013 8:36 AM

Gump wrote:

Have you tried being a man and tightening the cranks properly?

I tighten them as tight as they will go. It surprises me that they still come loose after!

|

7/12/2013 8:38 AM

Loosen the pinch bolt, tighten the compression bolt, tighten the pinch bolt, tighten the compression bolt again. Repeat on the other side

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

7/12/2013 8:44 AM

Gump wrote:

Loosen the pinch bolt, tighten the compression bolt, tighten the pinch bolt, tighten the compression bolt again. Repeat on the other side

Should I do it to the other side as well even if the sprocket side doesn't come loose?

|

7/12/2013 8:51 AM

Gump wrote:

matt.fergusson2 wrote:

Should I do it to the other side as well even if the sprocket side doesn't come loose?

Christ you're fucking dumb.

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.
I got refs

7/12/2013 8:52 AM

Make sure the cranks are on the spindle evenly and are on the spindle enough but also not sticking out to where tightening them doesn't do anything. For 8 spline cranks you can usually see through the pinch bolts' slit where they are. When I work on peoples' 8 spline cranks I like to have the edge of the spindle a tinyyy bit passed the pinch bolts. And as stated above, make sure you have the main bolt tight first, then the pinch bolt. Also another thing that helps is your BB, if you're missing the internal spacer, your cranks come loose easier as well

|

7/12/2013 12:50 PM

Put a small amount of blue threadlock on the crank bolts.

|